Sign in to follow this  
midage32065

Attempting Glass Etching

While waiting on my tax return(gonna spend an arm on 1 more high end cutter as I already have a mid-range machine) What is the rec'mended vinyl for making

my stencil.. I have several versions of Oracal and 3M but figure some of yall MIGHT have some insight on what type to use as stencil... 

I just use any scrap that the design will fit on. An easy way to remove it is by using hot water, comes right off no problems.

• Like 1

Thank you..really...I have been :day dreaming " about doing this for over a yr and when one is unemployed well we know where the mighty dollar goes. having

seen the potential of using scrap glass I have been hoarding it and now I need to go back to Fla to get my scraps and drag them back to La. Thank you for

the input. My day job has its moments and is very time consuming trade and dont wish it on anyone.

How are you planning to etch the glass? Acid (etching cream) or Sandblasting?

For etching cream almost anything works for simple designs; I mostly use scrap vinyl or contact paper. For more intricate designs I use photo-resistant films, but that's a whole different ball game.

For sandblasting; US Cutter sells a cheap and reliable blast mask for about $20 a roll. I have used scrap vinyl for this as well, but can easily ruin your project if you blast too close, too hard, or too long. The rock in my profile picture was done using the blast mask for US Cutter.

I desire to go abrasive material such as oxide's 70/80, I know from trail and error of the TOO CLOSE, so I am working it slow and practical method, slow and careful experimenting right now..Gonna try some work pieces this weekend, if I approve I will post a pic or two..I am getting better results from my vinyl cutting since I can work in my spare room in-home till weather settles in.. Thanks for asking...

I use whatever scraps I have laying around of Oracal 651, GreenStar or Endura Gloss with an 80/90 grit abrasive and haven't had any problems with blow outs or break through.  All of those work great on glass, anodized aluminum and stainless steel with an air eraser or a medium size abrasive blaster.   The big drawback is that vinyl adhesive sticks a lot more than the adhesive on the blast mask (watch the YouTube video on the product page (http://www.uscutter.com/index/page/product/product_id/2275/category_id/52/product_name/Sandblast+Stencil+) for an idea of how easily it comes off.