Monkey

Trying to understand these programs

Im usually pretty good learning new programs but for some reason imaging is my kryptonite. I have at my disposal, Photoshop CS, SCALP, Signblazer Elements, Inkscape and Image Ready. Im using SCALP most right now as it seems a little more user friendly over SignBlazer.

I got a few .EPS and .AI files from the graphics thread. I cant get either into SCALP unless I do this hokie pokie. Open the eps in photoshop, save as jpg, open in inkscape, export to SCALP then trace. If I try to trace the JPG without using inkscape it tells me "image type not supported". If Im using a AI image I have to open it in Image ready first then select "edit with photoshop" then do the rest already stated for eps files. But if I take a JPG that I didnt change from a EPS, I can select it straight out of SCALP using the trace function and its right as rain.....Which kind of confuses me, why 1 JPG is suppoted but another JPG is not.

If I just try to import either file in SCALP it gives runtime error then terminates.

Im getting done what I need to, but man, its a chore for sure having to use 4 programs to do 1 job. I know I should get Coral Draw or Illustrator but right now I need to justify what Ive spent on all my cutter and such before I drop more on more programs. Is this normal? Im totally in the dark and only figured out what I have by trial and error.

Im also confused as to the purpose of needing vector images when I have to convert them to JPG to use them

Easier to cut EPS files in SignBlazer IMO . I am sure they will get SCALP accepting EPS files & then it will be easier to use for whose who have an extensive EPS file collection .

Doesn't Signblazer only accept older .eps files? IMHO, the option of getting Illustrator as a monthly subscription and exporting into SCALP is the way to go for EPS files. No limit on new files. Also works with .ai files too.

Yeah I was looking at that. I need to look into it further to see if it would be worth it to me or not. Kinda looks like it would but dont know if the monthly or just buying it outright would be better for me.

Hey Monkey,

With all due respect, sir, you have TREMENDOUS amount to learn, based on your problems and questions.

Please don't be insulted by that. I've been doing Graphic Arts since the late 70s, on computers since 1982. The one thing I learned early, was to PAY for the best. After doing your research, of coarse. But in the end, PAY for the best.

I know you just spent X-amount for this, and X-amount for that, and you think it's endless. Your question to yourself is, how bad do you want this thing, or how bad do you love it?

With kind respect, Monkey, I offer you these solutions...

Dig deep to understand All the various file formats that are out there now, Vector, Image, Container, (and keeping in mind that one may contain another)

For now, avoid EPS (Encapsulated Postscript Files), which is actually intended as the very high end of an output file to hi-res imagesetter.

EPS is misunderstood by most people, and I see too much ignorance here.

Monkey, you said it yourself, and you're really kind of obligated.

Take care, Mark

Oh yeah I know all about getting what you pay for. I was mainly asking if the process I was having to go through with what I have available right now was the easiest I could do at the moment. With all my reading, everyone seemed to need eps files and I couldnt figure out why because I cant even use them in SCALP lol.

I understand I have a ton to learn.....which is why I spend hours a day on this forum reading and when I just cant wrap my head around something I ask....after I search and it doesnt give me a thread that really answers my question. Ive worked in AutoCAD most of my life so luckily I can do a little in that then move to photoshop for the rest for now, until I figure out what is going to be the best program for my needs.

I appreciate your input, thank you.

........, and I see too much ignorance here....... Take care, Mark
Hilarious & real nice ..... As far as the " buy the best " advice , you are giving that advice to someone who bought a bargain priced unit & in a help forum . I don't know what the exact opposite of ignorance is , but anybody that has ANY of that would know that most if any here DON'T " buy the best " . I have went to Sign Shows & " the best " are in a distant galaxy compared to what is being talked about . Monkey , all it takes is some help , ambition to learn & to get familiar with the cutter & the software . I would rather use something free or cheap instead of buying $4K + software & would bet Monkey would also . There is no reasonable debate about Flexi Pro being the BEST , just the price stops most , especially beginners .
  • Like 2

Yeah someday I hope to be in a place where I can buy those high dollar programs and equipment. I liked the price point of what I got being my first cutter as well as the good reviews I found. Ive learned a ton on this forum which has really helped me out....Just wish search function was better lol. Would be nice to be able to go into a certain area, say vinyl for example, and be able to search word or phrase just in that area. like Vbullitin does. Would make it alot easier to sort out the info you dont need just cause it has the word you searched somewhere in the thread.

Ive spent all morning hunting and searching info on Speed, Pressure and Blade offset both here and just in google. Seems to be different from model to model as well as machine to machine. But I did find in the Noob manual on how to do settings so thats my next project. Ive been cutting everything at 500 sp and 100 pr cause thats what the video told me to set it at lol. Now I see why Im not 100% happy with some of my cuts, especially small letters. Not to mention switching to a 60 degree blade for small stuff made it A LOT nicer cut. Bio-Hazard symbol went from blob to a clean cut at about 10mm size just changing from 45 to a 60.

Overall Im very happy with my equipment at my level. My hiccups have been purely my lack of experience which Im getting slowly, alot due to all the help and knowledge in these forums.

Yeah someday I hope to be in a place where I can buy those high dollar programs and equipment. I liked the price point of what I got being my first cutter as well as the good reviews I found. Ive learned a ton on this forum which has really helped me out....Just wish search function was better lol. Would be nice to be able to go into a certain area, say vinyl for example, and be able to search word or phrase just in that area. like Vbullitin does. Would make it alot easier to sort out the info you dont need just cause it has the word you searched somewhere in the thread. Ive spent all morning hunting and searching info on Speed, Pressure and Blade offset both here and just in google. Seems to be different from model to model as well as machine to machine. But I did find in the Noob manual on how to do settings so thats my next project. Ive been cutting everything at 500 sp and 100 pr cause thats what the video told me to set it at lol. Now I see why Im not 100% happy with some of my cuts, especially small letters. Not to mention switching to a 60 degree blade for small stuff made it A LOT nicer cut. Bio-Hazard symbol went from blob to a clean cut at about 10mm size just changing from 45 to a 60. Overall Im very happy with my equipment at my level. My hiccups have been purely my lack of experience which Im getting slowly, alot due to all the help and knowledge in these forums.
It will take time to wrap you head totally around the vector graphics - it is a change from the normal way of thinking doing raster that most people deal with. Markk077 said on another forum "I worked for a decade at a publishing company where my sole job was to get text formatted around any-shaped photos and "burned" so it is different when someone else is buying the software and equipment. probably explaining why he is on a forum for beginners. this is a different world and you will come around with more time experimenting.

Much of corel works similar to corel, A version or two back from the newest is usually available at a great price - then the output can be output to a format comparable with a free or cheap cutting program. There is a hands on time to get it down though.

He " may " have been meaning well , but his arrogance showed thru clearly . Strange that I read in another thread where he bought a bargain cutter instead of " Pay for the Best " advice he gave above ......

BTW , I feel pity for those who think they have a reason to " look " down at anybody . If they feel superior .... can you imagine how insecure they feel when they think about Donald Trump , Bill Gates etc :huh: I don't look down on the bums living under bridges or feel insecure to Donald trump , Gates etc , just admire some for the success & help anybody when I can .

Im the same, I try to help when I can, and learn when Im taught. I just look at people like him as not having the social etiquette to know how to interact with other people the proper way.

• Like 1

I don't look down on the bums living under bridges or feel insecure to Donald trump , Gates etc , just admire some for the success & help anybody when I can .

This instantly reminded me of the famous character popularized by Chris Farley (Matt Foley) --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaoM0FyLmGY

• Like 1

This instantly reminded me of the famous character popularized by Chris Farley (Matt Foley) -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaoM0FyLmGY

Hmmm , you think Markk077 lives in a van down by the river :huh:? I do see some simularities in the positive " motivation " offered though :)

• Like 1

My apologies to all; I believe I was rather "blitzed" when I posted it.

I'm a little beyond middle-age, with a lot of experience in several trades. When I start to drink I believe I actually have some Wisdom. Maybe I have some, but I can't name any drunk wise men offhand.

So, just forgive that post, if you will.

If I have any wisdom to add here, it's DRUNK DRIVING laws should apply to the Internet also!

• Like 1

My apologies to all; I believe I was rather "blitzed" when I posted it.

I'm a little beyond middle-age, with a lot of experience in several trades. When I start to drink I believe I actually have some Wisdom. Maybe I have some, but I can't name any drunk wise men offhand.

So, just forgive that post, if you will.

If I have any wisdom to add here, it's DRUNK DRIVING laws should apply to the Internet also!

No Problem . It is cool of you making this post . I don't think anybody has  " thin skin " here ... Humor should prevail IMO ( it always does with me ) . Other's opinions are always good to consider .

Hey Dan , that is the truth !!! & I am in the same boat as you :lol: . I am sure we try NOT to make the same mistakes over & over .  Being comprehensive enough to stop repeating & owning up to having done them is a stand-up thing . That is what seperates some , they don't/won't take/accept the blame . 

• Like 1

My wife is my best friend and constant companion and can attest to what an ass I can be but like you said we try to learn from our mistakes and I guess it has worked we are still together after 44 years . How is everything Rodger improving I hope .

Dan

• Like 1

Im still pretty new havent even had my cutter a year yet. They sent signblazer with it, I tried it for a few days, and threw it in the trash.  I bought Flexisign ( used ) from a friend. a while ago ( back when i was gonna start this up a few years back... )  It is an ALL IN ONE.  ive tried a few other programs, but like you said, ya have to use 3 or 4 different programs to get the job done. I know flexisign is expensive, but the basics of it are fairly easy, and the rest is a live and learn, trial and error with it. I didnt have the money , well i did but didn't  I dont know if flexisign has a demo or not, but i would try to find one on ebay or somewhere, and go with that. I love it. I still am learning everything with flexi, You wont be dissapointed.  I know cash flow is a problem for alot of people i was lucky to get this.  

Read alot, watch alot of videos, ask alot of questions. 

Good Luck

I picked up CorelDraw x6 now and craftedge has fixed their plug in for SCALP to the 64 bit version so Its going much easier now. Still have a lot to learn in Corel now but with videos that I find and just hitting buttons Im getting there.