Well last Thursday I pulled the trigger and bought my first cutter. I got the SC package USCUTTER has on ebay. To my utter surprise it showed up friday around noon or so....less the 20 hours of clicking "Buy It Now"....So couldnt be happier with that part of the transaction.

Got it unpacked, did quick inventory to make sure I got everything and put stand together by watching the video and following along to make sure I got it dont right. Didnt come with a ground wire for stand, but no biggie I just made me one. Took me a few tries to get blade set up right but thanks to the video it was fairly easy.

Got work area set up and started installing the Sure Cuts A Lot software it came with. Was a problem with the serial number so contacted USCUTTER support and right away I was on the phone with a REAL PERSON (I know right? I didnt expect that now a days) Great guy even though I didnt catch his name. Was quick to help me and get me taken care of. Continued with installation and went to send my test cut per the video......Nothing happened. So I jump on this forum and start searching, Sure enough I find my problem real quick. Had to select Capcom cutter instead of the SC. Starts cutting instantly. (scared me a bit cause I wasnt ready for how loud it was lol)

Went to USCUTTER site and downloaded more of the free software they offer, Signblazer and inkscape. Installed them and tried a test cut with signblazer.....worked great. Went back to Sure Cuts A Lot and started messing with the buttons and stuff, seeing what it all did. Brought in a more complex image through the trace feature and cut it out. Went great weeding only lost a tiny piece of a VERY little "A".

Started working on some stuff Ive been wanting and My wife has been wanting for our Jeeps. Made her some hood decals to go on the sides and me a Wounded Warrior decal. Already got a bunch of people making requests so am really happy to make back some of the money already.

Only thing I cant figure out is the 2 Application tape rolls it came with. a 12" paper layflat classic and a 6" clear roll. From what I found on USCUTTER under the clear tape is its high tack and not to be used with greenstar vinyl....but came in the kit with 12 rolls of greenstar vinyl. So anyway still need to learn when to use what kind of tape I guess.

Im have a great time with my first cutter and I love this forum, it has answered tons of questions and taught me alot already. Just wanted to say thanks to both USCUTTER and the members of this forum

• Like 1

Forgot 1 issue I did have. When hooking cutter to computer when instructions told me to, I originally used the serial cable but computer didnt recognize anything being hooked up. Would that mean its just not a right serial port? Only have 1 and I believe thats where a monitor pugs in if you dont have an upgraded video card which is how mine is hooked up. So right now Im hooked up USB and going to have to get a keyspan. Was just curious about the serial port and it not recognizing anything hooked to it when I used serial cable.

not knowing your computer,(because you don't state) but ,there probably isn't a serial port on it. Most newer computers don't have serial ports on them. That is why you have to purchase a serial card or or Keyspan adapter.

Glad you got it going.

Congrats! You did everyting right and it worked. If it is cutting with no problems on USB, I don't see any reason to get the keyspan. I cut on USB with no problems, and others do too.

• Like 1

not knowing your computer,(because you don't state) but ,there probably isn't a serial port on it. Most newer computers don't have serial ports on them. That is why you have to purchase a serial card or or Keyspan adapter. Glad you got it going.

Home made....and years ago lol Couldnt begin to remember what all I put in it.

Congrats! You did everyting right and it worked. If it is cutting with no problems on USB, I don't see any reason to get the keyspan. I cut on USB with no problems, and others do too.

Only issue im having is sending what I think to be maybe too much info. For example I am working on 4 5x3 oval stickers with text in them. If I try to send all 4 it says sent to cutter but it doesnt cut. Last night I tried sending 2 hood text decals as wel as 3 wounded warrior decals all on same sheet since they were all to be same color I figured kill 2 birds with 1 stone, but didnt cut. I deleted the 3 wounded warrior logos, and resent just the 2 hood decals and it went. Only thing I can come up with is its too much info going to cutter.

Hmmmm. I just broke the 4 ovals into 2 and sent first 2, then once done sent 2nd 2 and the 2nd 2 wont cut even after shutting cutter down and restarting it to clear memory.

Had to shut down plotter and reboot Sure Cuts A Lot, and resend it, cut fine.....dont get it

many have said get a Keyspan adapter for the SC cutter

Yes a Keyspan adapter is the way to go. I was having minor issues unitl I got a Keyspan awhile back.

-Scott

that is from user speleopower, read his posts..

are you using the more current version of Sure Cuts Alot? It has been updated several times now.

Yeah I have to order me a keyspan. I still have the link saved you gave me in case I needed one. mine is 3.037 but Ill look into an update. Thanks

Yeah I have to order me a keyspan. I still have the link saved you gave me in case I needed one. mine is 3.037 but Ill look into an update. Thanks

Your welcome..I think I read it is up to 3.039 version,, maybe more now.

Yeah I found that update. But still doing it. I may have to call support to see why it may be doing it.

Hi monkey, allow me to make a quick suggestion -- since your computer is 'homemade', there should be a free PCI slot inside, and for around $5 or $6 you can get a PCI expansion port serial card to just plug into there.

This one, for example --

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-to-2-Dual-COM-RS232-Serial-I-O-Port-Card-Adapter-/310326268888?pt=US_Internal_Port_Expansion_Cards&hash=item4840e313d8

Also, be aware of the right-side set-screw stop position for the pinch roller.

I've mentioned this several times in these forums, but I still want to call your attention to that.

IMO ( not a computer wiz ) Yes ! That is what I will do whenever I buy a desktop computer that doesn't have aa serial port . Many , as I will when I get a new computer , use a dedicated computer to cut with that has a serial port . It doesn't take much of a computer to handle a cutter .

I still am curious why the open serial port I have (since I also have a separate video card I use for monitor) wont recognize the cutter when I hooked it up there. Its the "On Motherboard" Serial port. Nothing at all happens when I plug it in there

The serial port only communicates or does something when told to, it doesn't work like USB and recognise something when you plug it in- so you have to be sure that drivers are installed for the chipset on your main board for it to work and that it is configured properly.

• Like 1

I think Ill just go pick up a card. This way I know when I install it, everything is working right. The one I was looking at has 4 Serial ports on it so in the future I could have more then 1 cutter hooked up.

I think Ill just go pick up a card. This way I know when I install it, everything is working right. The one I was looking at has 4 Serial ports on it so in the future I could have more then 1 cutter hooked up.

be sure and check your computer to see which PCI you have..PCI or PCI Express. The slots are different and they are not interchangeable. You probably have both BUT see which are empty.

yeah its been so long since I built this computer I dont remember whats open still. Ill open side up and take a peek when I get some time

Hey-

Update to the latest version of Sure Cuts A Lot 3 Pro. There is an SC cutter available in the list of cutters and it seems to work ok. I have not tried cutting a very complicated piece since I did the update but plan on doing that later today as a matter of fact.

If all else fails try a Keyspan adapter and make sure the cutter is well grounded with the ground wire. I've been putting a dryer sheet on the vinyl where it drapes down off the roll then back up to the cutter. Apparently static is a major issue with the value cutters.

One last thing. I bet your have to much blade sticking out. If you set it up per the UScutter videos it's probably to much. I can barely see the blade sticking out using a desk light with a magnifying glass built in. If you use the desk light with a magnifying glass it makes weeding and cutting out the tiny letters much much easier.

-Scott

I still am curious why the open serial port I have (since I also have a separate video card I use for monitor) wont recognize the cutter when I hooked it up there. Its the "On Motherboard" Serial port. Nothing at all happens when I plug it in there

A VGA port is a D-shaped port with 15 pin holes (3 rows of 5 holes each). Usually marked as "|0|"

A serial port is a similarly sized D-shaped port with only 9 pin holes in it (1 row of 5 holes and 1 row of 4). Usually marked as "0|0"

They are not interchangable.

Hey- Update to the latest version of Sure Cuts A Lot 3 Pro. There is an SC cutter available in the list of cutters and it seems to work ok. I have not tried cutting a very complicated piece since I did the update but plan on doing that later today as a matter of fact. If all else fails try a Keyspan adapter and make sure the cutter is well grounded with the ground wire. I've been putting a dryer sheet on the vinyl where it drapes down off the roll then back up to the cutter. Apparently static is a major issue with the value cutters. One last thing. I bet your have to much blade sticking out. If you set it up per the UScutter videos it's probably to much. I can barely see the blade sticking out using a desk light with a magnifying glass built in. If you use the desk light with a magnifying glass it makes weeding and cutting out the tiny letters much much easier. -Scott

Yeah I got the 3.039 latest download and have been able to start using the SC in the dropdown. It seems to cut well on the small details. And did make me a ground cable since it didnt come with one before ever booting up the cutter. Simply from all the reading on here about needing one.

As for blade I did like USCutter said then got my vinyl roll and did the circles, adjusting it till it just cuts the vinyl and not the backing. Its not even marking the backing. Just applied a decal I made on my wifes jeep and looked at backing after and not a dimple and no weeding problems really, so I think the blade is set good.

I stuck a dryer sheet in all my rolls of vinyl in the tubes.

A VGA port is a D-shaped port with 15 pin holes (3 rows of 5 holes each). Usually marked as "|0|" A serial port is a similarly sized D-shaped port with only 9 pin holes in it (1 row of 5 holes and 1 row of 4). Usually marked as "0|0" They are not interchangable.

Mine has 9 pins and is marked I0I0I

I like a little indentation in the backing paper . It makes it easy to realign decals if they lift while weeding or have problems when taking off with transfer paper ... especially small thin stuff .

• Like 2