motoxchic

First job, 3 signs: 2 lighted, 2 double sided, need pricing help

Here is my thread about the job with pics, etc

I wanted to get an idea how to price. I am doing this as a starter job (they know it and it benefits both ways). I am more than willing to be fair with my time. Paying back lots of help from my customer who is my hair lady :D

1. vinyl. When you have to special order something (like the translucent), does the customer pay for the whole order and you keep the extra? Or do you eat the extra until you can use again on a job?

2. labor. i mostly need a rough number of hours this should take (give or take for learning time and praying cutter works well!). I will be cheap on this end for them, and want to do a good job. These are salon owner with LOTS of customers and will lead to future work. But, I just need a total time guesstimate for now.

3. anything else I need to factor? I have done design work for a long time, so that is easy to figure, maybe a trip or 2 to the salon 10 miles away.

Thats about it. Thanks guys!. I realize I am jumping in with both feet, but thankfully its a friend job. I want to do it well so it turns into more business and I need to get it done on time (signs up a week before Black Friday deadline). :thumbsup:

Really needing to figure a ballpark...anyone have some type of estimate? Just number of hours and how u charge for special order vinyl would be great!

Here is my thread about the job with pics, etc http://forum.uscutte...ed-need-advice/

I wanted to get an idea how to price. I am doing this as a starter job (they know it and it benefits both ways). I am more than willing to be fair with my time. Paying back lots of help from my customer who is my hair lady :D

1. vinyl. When you have to special order something (like the translucent), does the customer pay for the whole order and you keep the extra? Or do you eat the extra until you can use again on a job?

Within reason. If I have to order 10 yards and use 5, I will usually charge the customer for the entire roll.

2. labor. i mostly need a rough number of hours this should take (give or take for learning time and praying cutter works well!). I will be cheap on this end for them, and want to do a good job. These are salon owner with LOTS of customers and will lead to future work. But, I just need a total time guesstimate for now.

Entirely up to you. Your first installation will take longer. Include design. cutting and installation time.

3. anything else I need to factor? I have done design work for a long time, so that is easy to figure, maybe a trip or 2 to the salon 10 miles away.

Include cost of application tape and other incedentals that you will use.

Thats about it. Thanks guys!. I realize I am jumping in with both feet, but thankfully its a friend job. I want to do it well so it turns into more business and I need to get it done on time (signs up a week before Black Friday deadline). :thumbsup:

Cheap and them sizes do not go well together.

1. no. It is not the customers fault you do not stock a product that you are selling them.

2. Art, cut, weed, mask clean and prep sub, apply, then install? lots of hours with no experience.

3. Figure on buying extra material, with no experience things may not go as smoothly as planned. Layering backlit colors will give undesired results when lit. I would suggest against it and any seam will me extremely obvious on any color other than black.

There is calendered translucent. such as Oracal 8100. I do suggest to buying the black to match the texture and matte finish of the colors too if you do use them.

Thanks so much for the replies. I am assuming I will be eating some extra vinyl, which is fine. I also assume its going to take twice as long, which is also fine, as I am learning. They will be saving money and I will hopefully be able to give them a good product.

One last question, how many hours would be in these 3 signs (for an experienced person) to cut, weed, apply only?

All depends on cutter for your actual cut time(my actual cut time would be about what, 10 min with loading? will vary machine to machine and I run mine wide open or not at all ;) ).

Weeding is gunna take a hour, masking a good half if not full for all the pieces(this is gunna be a hard part with no experience). application easy 2 hours and all depends on the colors you come up with.

Perfectly fabulous, THANK YOU. Gives me a ballpark to price then anything extra is "schooling time" for me. :D

Thanks for asking! STILL working on it, lol. They changed a color and are waiting on licenses to open business, so I have a little time. THEN SCP latest beta version decided to be uncooperative (would not cut to scale when reg marks were inserted :wacko: ) and set me back a day. I will post pics shortly. I have everything I need, SCP rolled back version is working...so I am cutting tonight!

If I have a customer that wants more then a "standard" color, I charge them the price of the roll plus the shipping cost.

I am quoting a job for a customer now that wants to use fluorescent.

I will price the job and then add a $60 dollar up-charge over regular vinyl. Then it will be their option.

Chances are they will opt for the regular color.

If you don't do this you will always be at the whim of special orders and stuck with product that you will not be able to use.