Sign in to follow this  
kauffman21

Baseball helmet

ok so I did a baseball helmet for my son, looks great I think, only one small problem. When I force the flame to move with my finger, it does. It slides slightly with alot of force. Should I be worried that it will eventually fall off? I'm sure someone will want me to do their kids once they see it, and I dont want to "fall on my ass" if it does come off. Any one know of any tricks to seal this on? I was thinking something like a spray paint clear coat or something? Not sure thats why I am posting to ask your opinions... thanks in advance.

Couldn't you cut the flame and the black "34" background on the same piece of vinyl? Or cut the flame so it doesn't make lines in the numbers.

With how thin it is you will most likely have some movement with a lot of force... You could try a little heat and pressing but it is pretty thin to get a real good adhesion.

IMO, you need to make the design of the flames 2 color so the vinyl has something to stick to, I haven't done alot of vinyl on these but have airbrushed them for many years and they take alot of abuse... no way if it's moving now, that it will stay on there... even if you just make the flame outline wider I still think you will have a problem... Idea: make the flames white with the black outline and just have a black outline around the number with it being the helmet... Just a thought!

GL Alan

so I should lay a solid white flame first, then the outlined black flame, then add the number? Am I understanding you right? So if the "white solid" flame will stay bc it has more area of contact? please respond, i'd like to work on this tonight, and thank you everyone for your input.

Yes, white flame with black outline but just an outline of the number, in other words, the number except for an outline would be "red", the color of the helmet. Or you could do as you mentioned, white flame with black outline then just put a black number on there, but it may look "muddled", with all of the black.. Hope this helps and if not, let me know and I'll try to help you further.

Alan

@seejay that looks good

@absoluteairbrush...thank you for the help! I'll post the finished product as soon as I finish.

There is a product available to seal edges of vinyl.

I use it for every job with fine lines or delicate details.

seal_it_pen.jpg

so I should lay a solid white flame first, then the outlined black flame, then add the number? Am I understanding you right? So if the "white solid" flame will stay bc it has more area of contact? please respond, i'd like to work on this tonight, and thank you everyone for your input.

I think the idea is to layer the flames. So a larger black flame for the background and a slightly smaller white flame on top. That would give the vinyl alot of surface area but still leave a fine black outline.

That seal pen looks neat though.

Here's my helmet ID I just did. "375" was cut out in white and the shadow is black.

Helmet-ID.jpg

helmet.jpg

Beautiful helmets guys. Especially Kaufman, way to think outside the box. I like the flames.

Helmets look good. As a President of our local LL, you should know that altering your childs helmet can alter it's structure, even if you only add vinyl stickers. Would hate to see them get a bonk to the helmet and it not do its job.

So...... you saying a sticker on a kids helmet can cause the helmet to malfunction and not work properly?

The best test for any piece of your vinyl artwork is to simply put it through every worst test you can think it needs to endure. Don't be cheap, cut and lay duplicate copies, and then deliberately abuse them, with force and adverse chemicals. Determine for yourself that they will stand to you're ideas of abuse. At least, you have a baseline to tell a customer what you truly believe in.

Summary: test your shit thoroughly, and then release it with confidence.

Nice, thinking about making that a signature....LOL

Summary: test your shit thoroughly, and then release it with confidence.