mrpatmontgomery

need help choosing cutter and material.

This is the third time I've tried to post this so it'll be to the point.

I've decided to buy my first cutter and need some help deciding please. It's primary purpose will be cutting small detailed one time use airbrush stencils. I was considering the 34" MH series because of the ability to cut larger projects, but a high detail level is the most important. If anyone has pictures of what the machine can do that would be great, how tight a border around a letter it can do, how much detail on a picture, that kind of thing.

Also, I have a question about the paint mask materials for sale. My stencils will be used on everything down to the inside of rc car bodies, so flexibility is most important, and the thinner the better. If it's translucent that would help as well.

My paints are primairly water based if that matters.

Any help you guys can throw my way would be awesome.

Thanks everyone,

Pat.

If you need super tight detail the only way to go is a Graphtec. The entry level machines and even some up the step up units just can't compete with the Graphtecs. I kick myself every time I have to cut detailed objects with mine 2 or 3 times with my "Entry level" machine before they are right. I will have a Graphtec by the end of summer. I know a few people who have ok luck with the Pcuts but all in all Graphtec is the way to go. That is my .02

I will second both of these opinions, I started out with a Laserpoint and within 8 months decided I needed a graphtec. Now after just under 2 years I have 3!!!! Money well spent, plus can make good money on the side or cut your own car decals.

Oracal 651 works great on the inside AND outside of RC bodies- Why aren't you using the paints designed for the lexan??? They are definitely NOT water based...

Buy it once, buy it right... if you have the money to spend a graphtec is dead set well placed investment.

I started with a MH-365 to see what it was all about. Picked up a MH-721 for a good price for larger cuts. I got tired of fighting for the fine detail cuts I needed for my glass etching and upgraded to the Graphtec CE-5000-60. Now my detail cuts are great. Graphtec all the way.

huh? :huh:?

Spammers sneak in every so often. One of the Admins will delete it in the next day or so.

Nuke was on here a couple days ago .. he would be great to respond to that spammer's book . i read a little B-4 stopping . I guess spammers copy & paste that all over the place .

there should be a report button so we can report it to get it deleted and maybe ban the spammers?

Right next to the MultiQuote N9z2j.png

Also Graphtec all the way!

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I stumbled on a picture of how small the graphtec was cutting stars and yea, I'm sold. I don't have a budget that big yet. I will be picking one up though.

because I only need it for really small projects right now, what are your thoughts on the cameo or craft robo? Can vector files be imported to either cutting software? For me noise and speed are not a concern, just detail.

Another question I have. When the vinyl roll is listed as "punched", usually on the 15" wide stuff, what does that mean?

Vinyl motivations, you said use oracal 651, is that for permanent use? what I'm looking for is to make a stencil that I can remove one piece at a time and paint. Is 651 good for that application, or would I want something like the 810? I've never seen any of it before.

Also, you were asking about the water based paints.

Parma makes a line called faskolor, which I swear is auto air and createx rebottled and sold for more. and here's the killer, their faskoat nitro sealer... createx matte clear for about 10 times the price. It holds up just fine and I was rediculously hard on my trucks when I tested it out for the first time.

Right now I'm just a hobbist and have no experience with anything like this equipment or vinyl.

Thanks for taking the time out there, the info is great and lots to think about. Really appreciated.

Pat.

651 is for permanent use, but when only applied for a short time it is easy to remove..... If it is of major concern, one could use 631. I would use either of these in clear or white as their MUCH less expensive than actual "mask" material and just as easy to work with. Of course the proper would be paint mask.

Punched would be able to be used on a friction fed machine with pinch rollers OR a pin driven machine- kind of like an old dot matrix printer has- it has perforated punches along the outside edge for the vinyl to be fed by.

Vector files CAN be imported into the craft robo or the cameo, however neither support cutting directly from CorelDRAW. They have their own design softwares....

Well guys, I ordered the cameo to get my feet wet.

Thanks to all of you for the help and advice. It made my decision much easier and I'm looking forward to getting my new toy...

Will post some pictures of my finished work.

Pat.

I'm not understanding. Isn't the MH a Graphtec cutter?

I was under the impression the MH and the SC were both Graphtecs.

Aybody know the cutting resolution of those machines?

Thanks

G

I'm not understanding. Isn't the MH a Graphtec cutter?

I was under the impression the MH and the SC were both Graphtecs.

Aybody know the cutting resolution of those machines?

Thanks

G

No....... the MH cutter is a Refine Brand cutter, Chinese, THe Sc is a LiYu Brand cutter, also Chinese.

If you would like to see the Graphtecs,,, and know which are Graphtecs...go to Graphtecamerica.com

Good to know Skeeter. I was tossing around the possibility of going to the MH or SC. due to the gf. Cameo gf is 210 but you are looking at 250 - 300 with the other machines.

I'm not planning micro cuts, but would be interested in a machine that would cut and duplicate the cut within a small area and a given tolerance.

I am not planning on heavy duty use or materials but it would be nice to know the machine was capapble of doing that.

And lettering is not on something I am concerned with either.

Guess I need to quit deciding and decide already.

:lol:

Skeeter, you are right. Search led me to this.....

SC

Brand USCutter SC Series

Blade Types Standard, Roland compatible

Comparison - Notes Higher quality than our popular MH Series.

Driving Method Stepper Motor

Mechanical resolution 0.0254mm/step

Buffer capacity 1MB

Repeatability 0.127mm

Interface Serial Port & USB2.0

Max Cutting Width 31.44 inches (800mm)

Max Feed Width 34.68 inches (880mm)

Max Pressure 300 - 350 Grams

Max Speed 0.48-15.75 Inch/s ( 2.5-400mm/s) 8 Channel adjustable

Memory 1MB - Recyclable

Model Name SC801E

Number of Pinch Rollers 3

Repetition Accuracy 0.005IN (0.127 MM)

Resolution 0.001Inch/step (0.0254mm/step)

Roller Mechanism Fine grit feed rollers

Included Software SignCut Pro (Win. & MAC). SignBlazer Elements (Cutting) is available at USCutter's website.

Laser Registeration Yes. USCutter however does not support the use of the laser registration and it is not covered in the warranty.

MH

Key Specifications:

Brand: US Cutter

Model: MH721

Max. feeding widths: 28.3" (720mm)

Max. cutting widths: 24.8" (630mm)

Capacity: 1Mb

Cutting Speed: 60 - 720mm/s

Cutting Force: 50 - 400g

Interface: Serial / Parallel / USB Port

Power Requirements: AC 90V-260V

Repeatability: 0.0127mm

Mechanical Resolution: 0.0254mm/step

Stepper Motors

Command Set: DMPL / HPGL

Three pinch rollers

Te repeatability and resolution is not horrible on either of these machine, but speed will make the difference on how accurate the cuts are.

The big drawback on the SC is it clearly states it does not have laser registration. I haven't found that specifically stated for the MH. Maybe someone can help with that.

Laser Registration "is where the registration eye, or laser, comes into play with our contour cutters. The eye or laser registers at the edges of the printed portion of the vinyl allowing the software to know where to start and stop cutting."

Graphtech wins.

And thank you fro pointing this before I made a huge mistake!

G