I need to give a customer a price for cut vinyl for their box truck. They will do the install.

Two colors approx. 5744 sq inch per side. They also want a sign for the back door. If I use $.07 sq in for cut vinyl no install I come up around $400 for one side only. If I use the price calculator at http://www.thesignexpert.com/TheSignExpert.com/Sign_Business_Free_RTA_Vinyl_Price_Calculator.html

Two colors is over $500. Based on the comparison, I feel I am offering a very fair price. Then I do another search and come up with a company called razrsigns(dot)com They will do two colors both sides and the back for $163 with free shipping. Am I missing something?

No , just hope the customer misses Razor Sign's prices IF you go by the price calculator . I have never thought any price guides were in contact with reality in any business , let along vinyl . With internet shopping much more popular , prices are much more competitive . Local competitor's prices are much more a realistic price guide . I have been looking at all types of price guides in the building & excavating business for over 30 years . Some prices are so cheap , I don't think anybody could have made money doing some things . Prices on other things would be a waste of time giving them as an estimate because they are way over real prices . I have experienced thru several recessions , that big companies will lower prices enough to just pay the help they want to keep . When things are tough they go after small work they would normally turn their noses up at . That has always hurt my little business even more . I like to charge as much as the market will bear , but I don't waste time giving estimates that are not competitive . Most everybody shops prices , especially now . Even long time loyal customers have to deal with the same economy , so don't open the door for a competitor to walk in :) .

Again I must stress do not base your pricing off what is available over the net for pricing. Base your pricing on your structure and your business.

If your pricing based on solely the lowest pricing out there you will go broke. A salesman and support is what makes the sale. Bidding jobs and trying to undercut to be the lowest bid does not always get the job and will do nothing but lead you to the poor house faster. Just know your complete overhead, costs and what you are looking to profit on any job. Do not forget there is way more involved than just the amount of vinyl used. That is your least expense.

I agree , No need to do anything for free or at a loss . There are CRAZY cheap prices on the net . The problem with being stuck on a certain profit margin or overhead expense is other companies will find a way to do it cheaper & leave you in the dust or gone . Small companies running the business out of their garage , spare room etc at home don't have the overhead a store front business has .They can make a higher profit margin even though charging less . As far as store front big business , they can make profit even at much lower prices with volume . It is the small store front business that has the biggest problem with overhead costs . Hechinger's was what Home Depot & Lowe's is now . They did not compete or lower their profit margains or their overhead . Home Depot put them in dinosaur land . The owner of Hechinger's told me he wished he had competed & done things differently . I bet that or any customer would not buy or buy again , once they found the same product for the difference you posted . Especially if they are not a walk in customer & are getting the product shipped either way . The way of business on the internet is NOT going to go away.. if anything it is going to become more prevalent . It seems your price was $400 per side plus the back ? calculator price was $500 for 1 side or all 3 sides ? I think it is best to have a variety of business adventures , so not all the eggs are in 1 basket so to speak .

Ignore the internet at your own peril.Almost everyone has access now and people are not stupid. How many posts on here have we seen from people buying a cutter just to do their own stuff because a cutter and vinyl was cheaper than a quote that they had gotten for just one job?

Pricing high if you install is one thing....it gives you an advantage. Just cutting and they install, you have NO advantage. Walmart didn't get to be the number one retailer in the world by offering service.

It's just as simple as that.

Finding something that everybody & their brother is not doing is also a good way to make better profit margins... trouble is .. everybody & their brother is trying to figure out what that is ( in every type business ) :lol: . A business that is very cheap to get into like cutting vinyl , is like a double edge sword.. cuts both ways . Like John said , cheaper to buy the equipment & materials than paying for 1 job sometimes . $500 + or - & anybody can compete with any vinyl cutting business . I won my Copams on e-bay for $406 & $410 in 2007 & with $200 in materials , I was at full speed in a couple days . Most new people will work free or almost free to start out , get experience & get a customer base ... also just to pay for what the expense was to buy the set-up , materials etc . After that , all profit until more materials are needed . I do alot of my work while watching tv etc . I like cutting vinyl so any profit is good for me & I get alot of repeat customers by treating people right , not letting them feel demeaned as a dummy when they find out they spent many times more than what they could have bought it for later ( they will ALWAYS find out if they have paid WAY too much ) . I think the market is getting flooded with printers also as the price on those get cheaper & cheaper . Unless somebody has alot of work , better to outsource that . it helps both parties .

• Like 1

I formerly worked as an R V salesmn for 12 years. The market went "south" and was hired by a Toyota dealer. That company had 4 dealerships that I sold from, but driving 90 miles a day,round ttrip got pretty old. Long story short, I left Toyota and have been fortunate with full time sign making. 90 % of the business has been from referrals and repeat business. For the past 4 months, I've done better than when selling cars, less time and stress. I've had about 20 years experience in the sign business (part time) but, until the past 2-3 years everything was "hand painted" or lettered.Vinyl cutting is the best thing I've ever done.Pricing competivly requires "homework" and once in a while, you can make an exception in pricing. It has generally benifited in the long run though.Have learnrd so much from this forum that would not have been available otherwise.THANKS TO ALL CONTRIBUTORS!

This place puts wind in my sails! I have read posts on some other boards where new members ask a question only to be mercilessly belittled and berated. I too, thank all of the veterans here who take the time to help.

Shook many hands today and handed out plenty of business cards. I even got one request for a banner quote. Which leads me to another question. Customer wants the banner to be 24" high and to fit in between two posts with an inside measurement of 75". The banner is two words of text. It is a seasonal sign that he would like to reuse again next year. He said the wind beats the crap out of the banners. If I use the 18oz banner, it measures 21" x 6ft, several inches shorter than he requested. Should I try and get a banner the exact dimensions or try and persuade him that this is what he needs? Thanks again

the heavier banner doesn't always mean it will hold up any better in wind...it's own weight can work against it. I have 13oz banners that have been up for over a year in all kinds of weather with no problems. Reinforced grommets and wind slits are your best bet. A banner is only as good as it;s weakest point and that is the corner grommets. Many people put them too close to the edge and the tear out.

" This place puts wind in my sails! I have read posts on some other boards where new members ask a question only to be mercilessly belittled and berated. I too, thank all of the veterans here who take the time to help "

+1 . That is why I like this forum & it is why it is the only forum I read on a regular basis . When i 1rst joined in 2007 , Ken Imes kept it the way you describe it ( there was some EPIC stuff then :) ) . Now John keeps it that way . I have learned alot of great perspectives from both of them . It is definitely not a typical " internet " forum !!! Marcus , the owner of USCutter & this forum , has shown me a side of busness I have never seen before . He allows stuff I have never seen allowed in any situation I have seen . He lets dramatic people bad mouth & trash his company on the forum he pays for , I understand allowing legit complaints to stay , but i don't understand posts/threads , that to me are posted by chilldish immature people & or competitors anonymously posting to demean his company staying around . It shows a confindence & maturity level i would want to imitate , but know I am a bit too insecure or abrasive to allow , if the choice was mine . Some members post links to stuff that competes with what he sells ( EVEN the "other " sign equipment/supply company that really stepped over the line of good taste by miles several years ago ) & even though it is against forum policy , it is allowed to stay ( not deleted in other words like most forums would do ) . I am not even going to get into the people who trash Marcus & USCutter on other forums & still post here , sell used things here & also have demeaned Marcus & his employees here . Doing all or any part of that is disrespectfull IMO & does not show appreciation for what USCutter is supplying here ... but everybody gets to show their character , rich or poor . I am a richer person for the great perspectives I have gotten here & am glad others appreciate it also :thumbsup: I am going to meet John 1 day & shake his hand for all the good he does & the life lessons he has given me .

If i go with a GreenStar 13oz banner 21" x 6ft it will cost $12.99 plus shipping. Going with the $5 sq ft rule it appears to be 10.5 sq ft plus materials and labor. Does $75 seem reasonable for a banner like this?

If i go with a GreenStar 13oz banner 21" x 6ft it will cost $12.99 plus shipping. Going with the $5 sq ft rule it appears to be 10.5 sq ft plus materials and labor. Does $75 seem reasonable for a banner like this?

That's about right around here...might charge a little extra for the time it takes to cut the wind slits (if you do) or just have the customer cut them like I do.