slice&dice

Just opened a small store -- plenty of sign jobs arriving through the front door

Slicing and Dicing my way to fame and fortune -----

Using a basic 30" MH-series machine, decided to just open a retail operation, working out of a small shop (paying $500 a month rental).

Since day one, the shop has had a steady flow of walk-in traffic.

I've been ordering sign materials like crazy -- Banners, magnets, coroplast, maxmetal, lexan, mdo, PVC, foamcore

Best investment -- plastic holder for the application tape rolls. Found it on ebay.

Often-used vinyl -- 30" black

Most Standard stock item -- coroplast sign blanks (in bulk w/stakes 100/case)

And the beat goes on...

post-21408-0-02849300-1325987283.jpg

• Like 1

YARD SALE yard signs ---- a single order of double-sided coroplast stake-signs for a lady who conducts this yard sale every weekend at her home (in nice weather) and she wanted to direct people with about 6 signs placed all around the vicinity.

She got a lot of traffic with these (bright flourescent vinyl)

Double-sided signs are best with with OPAQUE white coroplast, by the way.

Let's see, just since the first of the year, I've done:

Beauty Salon

Snow Removal Service

Real Estate Developer

Home Improvement Contractor

Driving School

Dump Truck Fleet (DOT #'s)

Repo Man (Towing)

Cleaners

And the year is only a week old...............

• Like 2

YARD SALE yard signs ---- a single order of double-sided coroplast stake-signs for a lady who conducts this yard sale every weekend at her home (in nice weather) and she wanted to direct people with about 6 signs placed all around the vicinity.

She got a lot of traffic with these (bright flourescent vinyl)

Double-sided signs are best with with OPAQUE white coroplast, by the way.

Let's see, just since the first of the year, I've done:

Beauty Salon

Snow Removal Service

Real Estate Developer

Home Improvement Contractor

Driving School

Dump Truck Fleet (DOT #'s)

Repo Man (Towing)

Cleaners

And the year is only a week old...............

Wow, that is impressive. Let's see some shots of your retail space!

The retail space is only 500 sq.ft. --- basically a converted garage with a front window.

My main work area consists of two tables, 4'x8' and 4'x7'

It's small and compact, but 15' of running surface area is sufficient for most things I do.

On my "wish list" for 2012 -- a 4'x8' self-healing cutting mat (I'm working using a 2' x 4' one now)

post-21408-0-56521200-1326675277.jpg

post-21408-0-70169300-1326675520.jpg

Having a front window is fun.

During Halloween (late october) the window was decorated with pumpkins and orange string lights.

Then, I put up Christmas lights around the edges (took 'em down a few weeks ago)

I have been tempted to apply lettering right onto the glass, but I don't know what it should say.

Just "SIGNS" is too dull.

Anyone have a suggestion?

post-21408-0-59710600-1327624781.jpg

Good for you - Congratss!!! I am looking for a commercial space as well. Great to hear success like that. I hope I do as well.

*** Update --- OK, I found a nice piece of used equipment on craigslist, it's a Panel Saw.

This thing is a monster, and is perfect for handling large sheets of 4'x8' materials (especially MDO and aluminum and even plexiglass). The great feature is the ability to RIP-CUT lengthwise, so I can turn a 4x8 into a 2x16 sign.

*** Word of advice to Jim in Vancouver --- You can never have too much space !!! Lease a storefront that is BIGGER than you anticipate needing, because once you move in, all sorts of stuff will fill up the place quickly, and you'll get cramped.

Even the customer-service area will seem small as soon as you get several people in the store at once. That happened to me immediately on day two, and I had to expand the customer's front counterspace a bit, which resulted in less room for my workspace.

What part of WV are you in?

This listing has a unit for under $800.

http://pittsburgh.cr...2838450977.html

I got mine for $200. because the wire/plug was broken, but all it took was a new wire and voila, slice&dice with a POWER SAW!

---- STOCK PHOTO ----

Thanks looks to be about 275 miles may check on any way. I live in southern WV.

As February slips away, and March is about to roar in like a Lion, maybe it's worth making a few comments about the client traffic I've had, and what to expect for the next month.

For one thing, the weather has been mild, allowing outdoor vinyl application on vans and vehicles (which doing in freezing temps would not work).

So, I put lettering onto an Airport Transportation van, and a car that is used for a Housecleaning service.

Also, magnets continue to be a strong seller, with two different masonry contractors needing pickup trucks branded with their company names.

The local Harley-Davidson repair shop wanted new entrance-door signs, and I ordered Orange vinyl for that job.

A McDonald's franchise operator needs to attract new management employees, so I put together windsigns for her three restaurants saying "Now Hiring" (with the famous golden arches)

Bandit signs continue to be in demand, and I have to say a "Thank You" to forum member MIDWASTE who provided a tutorial (with pix) on how to create an Application Tape "Speed Press" frame. It operates like a charm, and lets me work like an assembly-line process.

Springing into Spring, I think that window decals will be requested more, and hopefully I can whip up some signs & banners for St.Patrick's Day celebrations!!!

And so it goes..

post-21408-0-78996100-1330046974.jpg

Happy St.Pats' to the Honorary Irishmen (and Women) out there!!!

celtic-knot1-th.gif

Just wanted to update the thread, so here are BEFORE & AFTER pictures of a restaurant marquee application.

They served me a nice corned beef & cabbage dinner after my work for this take-out food place was completed!!! Ahhhh, the perks of the job!!!

post-21408-0-81335500-1332035504.jpg

post-21408-0-01385900-1332035508.jpg

Nice work.Congrats on your store front looking great...

Whats covering your work table..Looks like canvas or fabric???

In reference to you wall saw..I just got a good one off Craigs list in my area for $500.00..It actually cuts up to 60" tall..It will cut Glass, coro, alum, mdo and several other things...Just keep looking at Craigs list and you never know when a good one pops up..Mine new sold for almost $4000...I got extra blades and all for much less...

Happy St.Pats' to the Honorary Irishmen (and Women) out there!!!

celtic-knot1-th.gif

Just wanted to update the thread, so here are BEFORE & AFTER pictures of a restaurant marquee application.

They served me a nice corned beef & cabbage dinner after my work for this take-out food place was completed!!! Ahhhh, the perks of the job!!!

How were you able to get the vinyl to stick? It will usually peel from canvas awnings.

Mark

That looks like a pvc type awning to me similar to a flex face we do those all the time the vinyl sticks great . on the back lit awning we use translucent vinyl and they are like a back lit sign.

I put 651 on a rear tire cover on a Jeep Wrangler I had . On HOT days i could peel it off & reapply , but the decal stayed on for several years . I sold the Jeep & kept the tire cover ( my business info ) . When i buy another Wrangler , i will continue the " test " . I would spray the cover with water before i washed it & it would cool enough to stay adhered . If anything moving like an E-Z up canopy , I don't think it would do good at all when setting it up & taking it down when very hot .

Couple of quick replies -- 1. That table has a tarp fabric material to cover a rough wooden surface -- I use the table for a "holding" area for substrates/banners or doing weeding, and if I need to cut something, I'll do it on my cutting mat (2'x4').

At some point I'll just buy a 4'x8' mat and cover that entire table with it.

2. The awning was indeed PVC and I used high-performance vinyl.

BTW, my ladder is one of those fold-up types, it goes from 4-feet folded (fits into my hatchback car) to a full 16-foot straight ladder.

This month brought the following jobs:

Hot Dog street vendor (step-stake signs for his location)

Day Care (windsign)

Playground/SwingSet retailer (banners)

Chimney Sweep (job-site h-frames)

Masonry Repair (truck magnets)

McDonald's franchisee (A-frames)

Chiropractor (front windows)

Auto Mechanic (updated existing lighted pylon sign faces)

and a bunch more, all keeping me jumping.

As they say at Mickey-D's -- "I'm lovin' it"

I AM IN A CITY WITH MANY "CHAIN" SIGN COMPANIES - EVEN OUR LOCAL OFFICE MAX - HAS SIGN AND PRINTING DEPARTMENTS.

DUE TO THE FACT THAT I ALSO SILK SCREEN PRINTER AND MOUNT AND FRAME PICTURES - I AM GOING TO GO FOR IT AND OPEN A STORE FRONT - THANK YOU FOR THE INSPIRATION - NOW TO FIND THE PROPER LOCATION!