DeonCarpenter

GraphTec FC3100-60 & SignBlazer - HELP! I can't get them to work together.

I picked up a slightly used FC3100-60 this weekend for $300. The owner claimed it had been in storage for 10+ years after he replaced it with a larger cutter.

It test cuts perfect but I cannot get it to communicate with my computer.

I have tried HP-GL and GP-GL settings. I am using the parallel interface on LPT1. The interface setting is at RS-1 (9600 8bit N H)I also tried (9600 8bit E H). I checked that the COMM settings match. I can switch the cable over to my Copam and change the settings in SB and the Copam works great. SB has a setting for the FC3100-60 and from the literature I found from GraphTec it does not need a special driver and it should work with generic HP drivers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What OS are you using?

First thing to do is straighten out what ports you're using or need?

An "LPT1" port is a Centronics parallel printer port that needs a driver of some sort to work.

The "RS-1 (9600 8bit N H)" sounds more like a serial ( comm) port. This would not need a driver but would have to be cabled and configured correctly in both the software, computer and cutter...

I am using Windows XP 32 bit. You are right the RS-1 is for Serial, thanks. I am using the Parallel cable, the same one I use for the copam. I guess I need to figure out how to tell the cutter that I am using the Parallel cable.

http://www.graphtecamerica.com/users_manuals/CutPlot_UM/legacy/FC3100-100-120.pdf

I am looking at Chapter 7 - PDF page 90

OK I am wrong again.

I am using the RS-232C Serial connection. I am using a 25 pin Male to Male cable.

When I use it on the Copam I use the LPT1 setting in Sign Blazer.

I assumed I would use the same setting with the Graphtec since it uses the same cable.

I changed the setting to HP-GL but still no luck. I have looked for a driver but I cannot find one for this model but I have found them for every other model of Graphtec. I have tried drivers for some models that are close but it did not work. I also tried some HP drivers but my computer did not recognize them.

I installed the HPGL/2 driver but that didn't work either.

I found a 64 bit driver but only my laptop is 64 bit and it is USB only so I ordered a usb to parallel adapter.

I hope that works.

It works!

I stopped by a computer repair store and picked up a cable. It has a DB25 connecter on the computer side and a CN36 on the cutter side. It is a Belkin F2A036-06 Bi-Directional Printer Cable (6ft), $3. I plugged it in and the cutter started cutting, I guess it has stuff in there waiting to go.

When I say it works I mean it works, it puts my Copam to shame, and I really like my Copam. That is from a 20+/- year old cutter.

Here are the things I did but I don't think they did anything I am almost sure it was the cable.

The settings on the cutter RS-232C Cond No. 3, Command HPGL, running on LPT1 I also installed a Roland GSX-4000, Graphtec FS3100-60, but I don't think it is using a driver.

I am so confused. I was trying to use SignBlazer with my new Graphtec but am not having any luck. I keep reading on here about changing the cutter to from HP GL to GP GL, but have no clue where or how to do that. Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks!

to use Signblazer you have to go from GPGL to HPGL in your Graphtec menu.. Your user manual should help you. You can download it on the Graphtec site.

• Like 1

It has to be changed on the Graphtec Cutting controller...well, you have to make sure your com port numbers match. In computer device manager and Signblazer. You don't state how you are connected, or computer or anything... You don't state what you have done already.. Or what Cutter you are running under in Signblazer. Very hard to help that way... You don't even state what cutter you have.. other than Graphtec. Without necessary info, too hard to help you..

Thanks, Skeeter! I matched my com port settings and now SB is communicating with my Graphtec. I'm so happy! Yay!

Do have one more minor issue, though - and I will look through the manual for the answer if you don't know, but; my graphtec rolled several feet of vinyl through before cutting my test piece. Is there a quick answer to adjusting that?

In any case, thank you - thank you- thank you! Love you guys!

make sure when you are starting your vinyl cutter, that you use roll and not sheet. Also look in Signblazer and make sure you aren't advancing two feet or something in there. Make sure the vinyl is laying down on the back of the vinyl cutter. there is an eye there to detect vinyl.

Hi,

I have asked similiar questions in another thread but still no joy getting my cutter (Graphtec fc2100-60a) to talk to the computer (XP).

i have tried using an old parallel cable from a regular printer, rs232 cable to USB and to 9 pin serial all without any luck. cutter in HP-GL. settings in signblazer and computer match.

i have checked the settings in signblazer and have selected the copam 2500 and also the 60a plotters from the various lists (among others also) and still nothing:(

i also downloaded the trial of signcut and nothing...

im at my wits end thinking i have tried everything (short of swapping computers - i have tried on my 64bit win 7 laptop and nothing) - any help is really appreciated.