hired

How to remove paint from acrylic sign?

Hello,

So I took on a job today where the customer has an existing sign from the previous store that occupied the space. The customer wants to save money, as we all do, and wants to keep the sign that is already there. Here is the problem, the new customer used spray paint to cover the cut vinyl of the old store and...yes... spray painted their store name and phone number over it. What can I use to remove the spray paint without damaging the acrylic? It's a white back lit sign with a custom shape so I can't just replace it cheaply with a new piece. After I remove the spray paint I'll have to strip the vinyl, but I'll use some vinyl remover for that unless any of you have suggestions. Thank you for any help you can send my way.

It will only save them money if you do not charge as much as the job is worth.....No way in advance to estimate the amount of "grief" you are in for, so best start from scratch.....

I would charge at least $50 per hour plus materials "IF" I took that on. Or figure out what you could sell them a new piece(s) with your markup for and at least triple the price quote for labor to clean the crap off. If they won't go for that I'd pass on it.

Just go with a new face if you charge what it is worth to redo the old face it would most likely be more and still less quality job. Personally I try to avoid cheap people that want to rig jobs to save money you lose in the long run in money and reputation if the sign don't come out well.

Dan

I try to avoid cheap people that want to rig jobs to save money you lose in the long run in money and reputation if the sign don't come out well.
:thumbsup:

Hard to say to the extent of damage they caused without seeing it. But most likely it's polycarbonate. What you need is T 4000 POLYCARB REMOVER. Or you can try rubbing alcohol soak newspaper... anything harsher will craze the plastic. But it will take you time to remove and time is money. And just the T4000 for a gal will cost $40.00 plus shipping and that will be Hazmat shipping unless you have a local outlet for it. I'd tell them if they want to save money clean the face themselves... after they smoke it with lacquer thinner you can order a new one. :D

• Like 1

I'd tell them if they want to save money clean the face themselves... after they smoke it with lacquer thinner you can order a new one. :D

I'll definitely take your approach next time on any similar jobs. Thanks for the T4000 info.

I finished the job ,and just as all of you said, it wasn't worth it. I lost money on this one but the sign came out great. The customer is happy and now I'm doing their window graphics next Saturday. I'll break a profit on this one, so I'm happy. With that said, I've learned my lesson, I wont be taking on any more "I need it done cheaply" jobs. Thanks for all your great advice, I really like this forum everyone is so helpful.

I'll definitely take your approach next time on any similar jobs. Thanks for the T4000 info.

I finished the job ,and just as all of you said, it wasn't worth it. I lost money on this one but the sign came out great. The customer is happy and now I'm doing their window graphics next Saturday. I'll break a profit on this one, so I'm happy. With that said, I've learned my lesson, I wont be taking on any more "I need it done cheaply" jobs. Thanks for all your great advice, I really like this forum everyone is so helpful.

Your welcome... Glad to hear it worked out ok for you. But we like photo's :D

Your welcome... Glad to hear it worked out ok for you. But we like photo's :D

Sure thing.

I dropped off the sign this morning, the customer is having someone else install it per our original agreement.

Here it is midway through the cleaning process. It's upside down.

post-18860-0-03228000-1311451279_thumb.j

Here is the finished sign minus the trim. I used black Gemtrim on the final piece but cant find the photos on my camera.

post-18860-0-56423900-1311451430_thumb.j

I'll post pictures of it installed when I take them.

Not everyone who tries to save money is being 'cheap'. Some people (many,these days) are trying to start a business with very little money. Besides the fact that reusing something instead of just chucking it is a good thing for the environment.

When my brother started his bar/grill...the 3x5 backlit sign, ONE WORD on it, was $5000. That's a big chunk of change for a small sign...esp after he spent $30,000 buying the business to begin with.

Not everyone who tries to save money is being 'cheap'. Some people (many,these days) are trying to start a business with very little money. Besides the fact that reusing something instead of just chucking it is a good thing for the environment.

When my brother started his bar/grill...the 3x5 backlit sign, ONE WORD on it, was $5000. That's a big chunk of change for a small sign...esp after he spent $30,000 buying the business to begin with.

We're all trying to save money, I understand that and I'll take on jobs where the customer wants to save money but I can't take on another job like this one where it costs more to "repair" the substrate then to buy a new one. That was my mistake and lack of experience on this type of project. eh, you win some, you lose some and as long as I win more then I lose I'm happy :D Despite the monetary factor I really enjoyed this job.

We're all trying to save money, I understand that and I'll take on jobs where the customer wants to save money but I can't take on another job like this one where it costs more to "repair" the substrate then to buy a new one. That was my mistake and lack of experience on this type of project. eh, you win some, you lose some and as long as I win more then I lose I'm happy :D Despite the monetary factor I really enjoyed this job.

I agree..I was just taking exception with the word 'cheap'.

Bet it was Gulf Products or whatever they call themselves these day. Slick salesman high pressure tactics and way over priced. Was working a deal with a car lot one of these guy's blows into town and sell's the guy one of those overpriced bow-ended signs. When the sign arrives it's empty no ballast... bulbs... raceways nor center support. Called me to make it work I told him send it back and I'd build him a proper sign. He could not as in the fine print it said non illuminated frame and faces. 5000K for a 4X5 cheesy looking sign. Plus my time to wire it and stick it up. I told him he should of purchased the 4X8 for less then half of that. Always deal locally.

Sure thing.

I dropped off the sign this morning, the customer is having someone else install it per our original agreement.

Here it is midway through the cleaning process. It's upside down.

(Photo removed to save bandwidth)

Here is the finished sign minus the trim. I used black Gemtrim on the final piece but cant find the photos on my camera.

(Photo removed to save bandwidth)

I'll post pictures of it installed when I take them.

Looks good... I thought it be a pan face. Flat stock is not that bad for replacement cost wise that is. As long as the can is at lease 8" deep. Otherwise you get hot spots from the lamps on the face that looks bad.

Looking forward to the installed photos.