vinylmotivations

2' x 4' Banner, Red, O651 Applied.

A co-worker of mine has come to me and would rather pay me to build him a banner than order online as he knows my quality of work and how much of a perfectionist that I am. He has gotten several quotes for around 27.50-30$ for 2'x4' Red or full printed banner. Does anyone see this as not being feasible? I got a quote from my local supplier for about 15$ for the blank alone...

Any input would be great, either for a custom blank supplier, or whatever....

Thanks in advance!

It all depends on how your buying your banner material. If your buying banner blanks your cost will be high. I buy banner by the rolls and have a variety of 10 and 13 oz. on hand in most colors. that buts my cost down to less than 3 bucks on this size banner. But even so that price is still cheap. Give him your price based on your work not on what he says he can get it done for.

If your going to be doing more banners I would look into buying bulk rolls and staying away from blanks.

http://stores.ebay.com/BANNERS-AND-MORE 2 x 4 white 13 oz. heat sealed and with grommets are about 60.00 for 10.....If you have to bring in a blank each time you need one, they will be costly...

I stock 2 x 6, 3 x 10 and 4 x 8 and that covers 90% of my sales....

I've been using Mark for over 4 years with never a bad banner.....but he only does WHITE. Best prices anywhere.

It all depends on how your buying your banner material. If your buying banner blanks your cost will be high. I buy banner by the rolls and have a variety of 10 and 13 oz. on hand in most colors. that buts my cost down to less than 3 bucks on this size banner. But even so that price is still cheap. Give him your price based on your work not on what he says he can get it done for.

If your going to be doing more banners I would look into buying bulk rolls and staying away from blanks.

Do you hem or tape your banners? Ropes too? I don't do a ton of banners, but $3 for a 2x4 is considerably cheaper than I would pay for a pre-made blank..

13oz up I sew. 10oz Tape em up. can buy rolls either hemmed or not for what you prefer.

13oz UNHEMMED 24" x 40 Yards for less than 60 bucks. thats .50 a foot as just a example. so your 2x4 is 2 dollars plus hem tape and 4 grommets and rope.

I hate the ones that come already full of grommets. it never comes out even and no matter what you do your throwing away peices and can never match their grommet type.

So how much labour does it take to turn the 2 x 4 you cut off a roll into a ready to use banner?...Even if your material is 2.00 (seems too cheap to me) plus your grommets plus a little thread is it worth it versus the 6.00 cost of a ready to use blank?....

So how much labour does it take to turn the 2 x 4 you cut off a roll into a ready to use banner?...Even if your material is 2.00 (seems too cheap to me) plus your grommets plus a little thread is it worth it versus the 6.00 cost of a ready to use blank?....

5 min if im on the phone doing it 1 handed. I have a rig build holds them all at the end of my table. Just grab, pull, roll cut, hem and grommet if needed. Mostly I use wedding and D-Rings if sewing (Much stronger and faster. and probally as cheap or close to it as grommets if i would actually push te pencil to it) and just 4 grommets if taping.

Plus your weighing costs on a 2 x 4 banner. Really see the savings on larger banners and heavier ones. It all adds up guick and the ability to produce off size banners finished ready for pickup within 30 min is a great cusomer satisfier.

I HATE ordering anyting and telling a customer well, another 4 days cause i dont have that in stock is a real turn off to me.

I do not want to be known as the "instant banner" shop....I think too many people take advantage of that and it cheapens your product........And in my area people wait because they have few options....Maybe in a bigger market it would give you a competitive edge.....

As far as bigger banner blanks.....I think my last 4 x 8 ones costs me 10.65 each x 10 pieces....And 3 x 10 were 10.00 each x 10 pieces....How much savings can there be by finishing them yourself?....I guess it is different if you have people on the payroll not doing anything else...As far as odd sizes, if I show clients other sizes they usually take what I have

51" x 300' unhemmed is 150 bucks. So out of that I can get abot 34 8' banners. 4.50 for banner mat, plus another 1.5 for tape and grommets n rope lets say.

Thats a tad over 150 more in my pocket across a roll for a few extra min on a banner.

As far as being instant banner shop cheapens the image I disagree. My experiance has shown me if customers have to waitthey genneraly prce shop alot more than get the instant gratification of paying more with a product in hand faster. That is what seperates me from the "instant" online banner sellers who get 2 bucks a sguare foot. I do get more for a banner when a customer wants it same day. It is a premium service for a premium price.

I am merely stating this as this is what my shop offers. Does require more overhead and storage. Not everyone will do the same as this and many will not even want to deal with the hassel of finishing banners. I have a fairly big store front with a large shop and work area in the back so this allows me to have more on hand at MY expense. My area is filled with resorts and alot of vacation properties. If they have to wait they will just as well get it from their beer distributer for free with a Budwieser logo on it or go online and pay 1/4 of my price.

I guess I will just leave it at "I do not get it".....

neither do I...I used to finish my own....both sewing and tape..until I figured out what my time was worth.

I do not want to be known as the "instant banner" shop....I think too many people take advantage of that and it cheapens your product........

Now, I don't get THAT. How does getting a job out fast cheapen the product? There is no logic there.

I guess I will just leave it at "I do not get it".....

Now you finally agree with us rolleyes.gif

Now, I don't get THAT. How does getting a job out fast cheapen the product? There is no logic there.

Think of as fast food vs. a sit down restaurant.. You can get a burger instantly at Burger King for $2, but you'll wait and pay $10 at Ruby Tuesday's. It's preception of how hard you worked. If people don't think you worked hard or put in a lot of labor on a product, they don't think it's worth as much.