gm2k8

4 x 8 sheet for sign?

I usually dont do large signs.. i do coroplast signs and small stuff but a friend of mine wants to replace an old weather worn sign for her business and i looked it over and told her i would help her. I stopped and checked out some signs along the road that were vinyl and it appears to be some form of vinyl itself maybe 2-3mm thick not coroplast but it is white. it is screwed onto a wooden back.. i would like to find out what that is and where would be convenient to order or possibly buy at lowes? I need 3 4x8 sheets any info greatly appreciated.

nobody has a clue.. i did search but didnt find anything that looks like vinyl.. its maybe 2-3mm thick.. i know its vinyl on the lettering.. ??

No, No, No, I just did a sign 4x8 out of some boards they had at Lowe's. Go check it out around the plywood section. Ask one of their associates. Its lightweight too.

The stuff I used I just painted with outdoor oil base paint. Let it sit for 2 days and put vinyl on it.

Customer had a fit about how good it looked eheheheh Cheap to, forget that high priced vinyl backing stuff. It will eat up your profits as well.

These boards are just as good. Old sign guy told me about the stuff, he's been using it for years. People LOVE his work and it lasts for years and years.

Don't buy that chip core crap though, one rain and its gone. Bad stuff

No, No, No, I just did a sign 4x8 out of some boards they had at Lowe's. Go check it out around the plywood section. Ask one of their associates. Its lightweight too.

The stuff I used I just painted with outdoor oil base paint. Let it sit for 2 days and put vinyl on it.

Customer had a fit about how good it looked eheheheh Cheap to, forget that high priced vinyl backing stuff. It will eat up your profits as well.

These boards are just as good. Old sign guy told me about the stuff, he's been using it for years. People LOVE his work and it lasts for years and years.

Don't buy that chip core crap though, one rain and its gone. Bad stuff

I have a Lowes here in my town..Whats the stuff called your using?

I might give it a try..

stetson5331

I'm going by there today Stet, I'll go in and see what the name of it is

Last time I checked at Lowes they had full sheets of coroplast and MDO plywood (medium density overlay)....

thanks I will check

stetson5331

Thanks everyone.. waiting to hear exact product from lowes.. thats all i need..

Roxy, it is not masonite. Which would stand up in the outdoors very well, as houses around still have this stuff on them, and has been on them for 50 to 60 years or more :rolleyes:

Ok, the wood is called birchwood hardwood plywood. it's 44 bucks at Lowes.

I've saw alot of the man's signs made out of this that's been there for over 10 years.

The trick is what kind of paint you use on these. Get you a nice oil based paint for exterior use.

Works very well for that work I've seen him doing. He uses it on painted sign as well as vinyl lettering.

I did my customer's sign with this material. It looked AWESOME!

She almost had a stroke lol. Has a smooth surface as well.

Hope this helps Someone.

P.S. I don't need neg. comments from the peanut gallery as well.

I have already been advised of how this stuff will hold up in an outdoor environment and it's great!

Masonite pfftt wwwwwwhahahahaha that's a good one Roxy!!! Maybe you can mount those to your horse to keep it dry.

Did you read the OP that said they were looking for a vinyl coated product?

As far as your birch plywood....Well I will just leave that alone because you will not listen anyway.....

Did you read the OP that said they were looking for a vinyl coated product?

As far as your birch plywood....Well I will just leave that alone because you will not listen anyway.....

Thank you for your kind words Roxy, your just to sweet! :blink:

Poor husband :thumbsup:

• Like 1

You have not been paying attention......My "life partner" is a wife.....But I do wear the pants in the family....

We can tell hheeheheheh =-P :blink:

I've been worried about you lately. You haven't been yourself as of late. Are you OK?

If I'm not mistaken, I think if you own a place in the U.S. you can get insurance here.

I'll check that for you OK?

Hope you are feeling better in a few days.

Do like I did, take a Tylenol and lay down a bit.:thumbsup:

I think I read somewhere, that you can take testosterone shots, that might help you a little and make you get better soon.

• Like 1

Its all a good story but i wouldn't put my name on birch plywood or sell that to anyone. Cheap? at $44 a sheet, then oil base paint cost, time in prep, and the mess and stink in the shop for a week thats not very cheap at all. Money better spent and saved on buying a sign panel, either a aluminum composite panel for $60 or a allumacore for $80 - 90. No mess, no fuss and its what it is made for.

Plus its still birch plywood when your done.

But really you could also paint a piece of cardboard and it would be shiny, glossy and flat to.

• Like 1

Its all a good story but i wouldn't put my name on birch plywood or sell that to anyone. Cheap? at $44 a sheet, then oil base paint cost, time in prep, and the mess and stink in the shop for a week thats not very cheap at all. Money better spent and saved on buying a sign panel, either a aluminum composite panel for $60 or a allumacore for $80 - 90. No mess, no fuss and its what it is made for.

Plus its still birch plywood when your done.

But really you could also paint a piece of cardboard and it would be shiny, glossy and flat to.

Thank You!

Thank You!

True SA, I'm just relaying what the old man told me. I used it, I don't paint in the shop, not a very good idea, unless you want a DUI ehehheehhe

But anyhow, it was just a suggestion, I like it since we have alot of wind here on the coast. But it's an opinion I guess.

Roxy, take a tylenol and lay down girl, your still sick. :P

I am pretty sure lowes and menards have MDO on hand also. MDO used to be the standard for exterior signage back in the day. If I was gunna use wood it would be a sealed MDO board. And I know signs for the USDA Rural Development are still required to be APA rated A-B Grade Exterior plywood also.

USDA Rural Development jobs are only thing I still use wood on and I charge thru the nose because I hate painting them per their code. Wish they would update and allow a newer design signboard.

As far as the fumes its the bottle of Jack im more worried about than a little paint fumes, lol. And my shop used to be a auto body shop, took a year for it not to smell like a good coat of clear. Finally now starting to really not smell like a paint shop anymore.

I am pretty sure lowes and menards have MDO on hand also. MDO used to be the standard for exterior signage back in the day. If I was gunna use wood it would be a sealed MDO board. And I know signs for the USDA Rural Development are still required to be APA rated A-B Grade Exterior plywood also.

USDA Rural Development jobs are only thing I still use wood on and I charge thru the nose because I hate painting them per their code. Wish they would update and allow a newer design signboard.

As far as the fumes its the bottle of Jack im more worried about than a little paint fumes, lol. And my shop used to be a auto body shop, took a year for it not to smell like a good coat of clear. Finally now starting to really not smell like a paint shop anymore.

As far as the fumes its the bottle of Jack im more worried about than a little paint fumes, lol.

You said that right heheeheh

MDO boards are good as well :thumbsup:

Question on the MDO board. You said to seal it, what do you use to seal it with? I don't typically do signs but had a customer ask me today if I do and really hate to say no. I also need to make one for myself instead of just using a banner.

so the question is.. what substrate would be ok to use for a sign that could be purchased at lowes? or.. what is the material i seen on the signs around here? thanks in advance..

So there are actually 2 questions.....

What can you buy at Lowes?....When I called Lowes yesterday they had Medium Density Overlay (MDO) and coroplast......

What is the material on signs around you?.....Hard to tell....But probably a sign substrate bought at a sign supply company.....Where are you located?....Then we may be able to find a supplier that runs deliveries into your area....Grimco has a location in Greensboro NC.....http://www.grimco.com/greensboro.html

So there are actually 2 questions.....

What can you buy at Lowes?....When I called Lowes yesterday they had Medium Density Overlay (MDO) and coroplast......

What is the material on signs around you?.....Hard to tell....But probably a sign substrate bought at a sign supply company.....Where are you located?....Then we may be able to find a supplier that runs deliveries into your area....Grimco has a location in Greensboro NC.....http://www.grimco.com/greensboro.html

Hello, it's MDO board. I'm from High Point N.C., born and raised right beside of your location. Go to Lowe's and ask for MDO board. It's also called crezon. There is also a MDO-A that has an aluminium bonded surface. It's finished with a white baked-enamel. These have to be primed and painted as well. Except for the baked ones, its prefinished. I withdrawn my statement I made earlier about the birchwood. Just spoke with the old sign guy. He verified it was the MDO board that he used! Use this stuff, it holds up very well. And take it from a local guy that tells you this as well.

Good luck to ya, and hope this helps

• Like 1