Sign in to follow this  
NukleoN

Graphtec Contour-Cutting on Reflective Vinyl?

Has anyone tried the Graphtec's registration mark-sensing on tricky vinyl films such as reflective silver, gold, holographic, etc.? I am sure white paper would be a cinch, but I'm wondering how the cutter would do with black registration marks on more exotic vinyls.

Thanks!

i think a lot of people put masking tape overtop of the reg mark area and redraw them on there that way it can be picked up.

i think a lot of people put masking tape overtop of the reg mark area and redraw them on there that way it can be picked up.

I wonder if anyone has tried the Graphtec with reflective vinyls and no tricks like this. This to me is more work than just aligning the marks manually. ;)

I wonder if anyone has tried the Graphtec with reflective vinyls and no tricks like this. This to me is more work than just aligning the marks manually. ;)

I will try it this next week..I have some 3m reflective and will do a contour cut to see what happens..I will post the result afterwards...good or bad...

stetson5331

I will try it this next week..I have some 3m reflective and will do a contour cut to see what happens..I will post the result afterwards...good or bad...

stetson5331

Thank you! I would love to hear about it. The Graphtec is the natural upgrade from my LP24 if it handles contour-cutting well (I know regular cutting is going to be great).

Thank you! I would love to hear about it. The Graphtec is the natural upgrade from my LP24 if it handles contour-cutting well (I know regular cutting is going to be great).

Regular cuttings a breeze..contour is as well once you figure it out...Reflective??have not used it yet but will give it a try...

Just curious as to why someone would contour cut reflective...

Would it be printed?

Yes I will be printing and then contour cutting the graphic..Otherwise there would be no use in contouring it I suppose..LOL..Good point...

Just curious as to why someone would contour cut reflective...

Would it be printed?

Yep. Printed Papilio then contour cut. Papilio has all sorts of crazy specialty vinyls I experiment with. I have an inkling the Graphtec would struggle to pick up black on say, silver metallic but I could be wrong.

Yep. Printed Papilio then contour cut. Papilio has all sorts of crazy specialty vinyls I experiment with. I have an inkling the Graphtec would struggle to pick up black on say, silver metallic but I could be wrong.

Papilio is that shirt vinyl?I don't do shirts so no need in buying stuff I won't use..Do you know where to get a sample of their stuff to try?

Papilio is that shirt vinyl?I don't do shirts so no need in buying stuff I won't use..Do you know where to get a sample of their stuff to try?

Papilio sells vinyl for printing with your Inkjet printer, which you would then contour-cut, but they sell some exotics too like silver/gold as well as holographic and other crazy patterns. The reflective Papilio is something I use a bit of and was wondering how the Graphtec would do detecting the registration marks. No worries tho, the LP24 works pretty well, it's just manual setup (for 3 points) but this new headset light from Amazon should help me see better while I am holding down vinyl and adjusted with the USB keypad.