mikeguam

CE5000-60 load media prompt

When the machine is turned on the "load Media" prompt comes up on the control panel. When the operator pulls the lever up (which closes the pinch rollers in place securing the media) the next message should be "Roll 1 Press Enter" ..... with my plotter the "load media" message stays visible and will not allow me to move forward ..... After the machine sits a while with the power on and the pinch rollers closed, the message "Roll 1 Press Enter" comes on but when "Enter" is pressed nothing happens.

I had spoken to Graphtec and they told me that it was a bad "Main Board" (or mother board). Well, I purchased a new board and the same thing happens.

I cannot send my plotter to Graphtec to fix because I live on the United States Territory of Guam and it would cost a fortune to ship the plotter to them via air freight.

The local computer tech that installed the new main board for me mentioned that he had another customer with a load media problem like this and they changed the main board with no results. They ended up changing the "carriage" assembly and that seemed to resolve the problem.

My question is twofold: one, has anyone else experienced this problem? two, Are there sensors located on the carriage assembly and if so, where are the sensors located on the carriage assembly?

The media sencers are in the base... they are the 2 (1 front 1 back) ovel shaped holes below the long blue strip

Try covering them with tape just to see if that makes a differance... you can't run with them covered

I think you can go in the programing and turn them off

MM64 B)

The media sencers are in the base... they are the 2 (1 front 1 back) ovel shaped holes below the long blue strip

Try covering them with tape just to see if that makes a differance... you can't run with them covered

Thanks for the tip. I did try it but with the same results. I was actually aware of the three main media sensors and their locations ..... one of the first things I did was to clean the sensors.

I'm sure that there are more sensors on this machine and there must be one on the pen carriage some where..... I'm not getting much helpful information from Graphtec, they are insistent that I need to send the machine to them to repair.

Air freight both ways from Guam (where I'm located) would cost at least $1000.

Even if the ideas don't work, I appreciate the attempt. Thanks.

Thanks for the tip. I did try it but with the same results. I was actually aware of the three main media sensors and their locations ..... one of the first things I did was to clean the sensors.

I'm sure that there are more sensors on this machine and there must be one on the pen carriage some where..... I'm not getting much helpful information from Graphtec, they are insistent that I need to send the machine to them to repair.

Air freight both ways from Guam (where I'm located) would cost at least $1000.

Even if the ideas don't work, I appreciate the attempt. Thanks.

have you tried going back to factory default by turning the cutter on, at the same time as holding down the UP arrow?

have you tried going back to factory default by turning the cutter on, at the same time as holding down the UP arrow?

Yep .... I actually did try that and tried it again after you mentioned it .... still can't get past load media prompt ... Thanks though ....

I just thought of something else.... I bought my cutter broken and have had it all apart and there is a micro switch on the handle that you raise the rollers with

it is under the right hand cover...as soon as you move the handle to release the rollers it puts the cutter in the load media mode

if the switch is bad it will not know if the handel is up or down

to test remove the cover and jump the 2 wires on the switch togther if that fixes it then the switch is bad

you can run the cutter without the switch as long as the 2 wires are hooked togther

That switch just tells the cutter if the handel is up or down

Let me know what you find

MM64 B)

BTW... if need be I'll pull the cover and post pix just let me know

I just thought of something else.... I bought my cutter broken and have had it all apart and there is a micro switch on the handle that you raise the rollers with

it is under the right hand cover...as soon as you move the handle to release the rollers it puts the cutter in the load media mode

if the switch is bad it will not know if the handel is up or down

to test remove the cover and jump the 2 wires on the switch togther if that fixes it then the switch is bad

you can run the cutter without the switch as long as the 2 wires are hooked togther

That switch just tells the cutter if the handel is up or down

Let me know what you find

MM64 B)

BTW... if need be I'll pull the cover and post pix just let me know

If it dosen't work with the wires togther try it with them seprated... as it might be a n/c switch

If it dosen't work with the wires togther try it with them seprated... as it might be a n/c switch

Thanks, I'll open it up and take a look at it to see if I can handle it.

20 minutes ago, AmberSign said:

Hey mikeguam, Did you ever solve this problem? My machine is doing the same thing. Please post if resolved or not. Thanks!

Amber, this thread is 9 years old so I wouldn't hold my breath for him to respond but with all the graphtecs, make sure you load the media toward the right side so the media covers the front and back sensor windows on the lower plastic pieces - it just looks like little cut outs in the plastic that the vinyl rides on

Thanks Dakotagrafx for responding!

I have been cutting graphics for 25 years with Graphtec cutters. My problem is not loading the media. Media is loaded correctly. The problem is machine is not sensing media. Problem is intermittent as if something is shorting out or a bad connection.

The front, rear and lever sensors have been disconnected, cleaned and re-installed. I have flipped lever and covered front/rear sensors and sometimes it senses media and sometimes it doesn't. It is pretty random which makes me think it is the main board where sensor info is sent has a bad connection.

I saw an earlier post where someone recommended disabling the sensors or bypassing the lever sensor. Not sure how to do this but I will try this in the next few days and post results.

I have scoured the internet for info and this is a problem that doesn't seem to have an answer. My machine works great other than this problem. Any help is appreciated!

SOLVED!!!!!!

The lever sensor was installed upside down by previous owner or tech who last cleaned it. It looks as if it should go the other way. I was getting desperate and thought I would try anything so I decided to pull it and install upside down and to my surprise it started working. Hope this might help someone else.

• Like 2

Just to be clear for anyone who doesn't know - the lever sensor connector wire was upside down. I unplugged it and flipped it 180 degrees and plugged it back in and it started working. It was working intermittently when plugged in the other way so it could be that there is a bad connection or it was upside down. Not sure but so happy that it is now working. Thanks to all who gave their advice and time!

• Like 1