Sign in to follow this  
colej

etched wine bottle

combining two of my hobbies - homemade wine and etching - I sand-etched the label for the batch of wine nearly ready to bottle to give to a friend

P2110010.JPG

Nice!! I started sandblasting glass last month and I am having (pardon the pun) a blast. Just finished a Valentine's Day glass coffee mug for the wife tonight. Keep up the good work.

that looks fantastic

do you know to any videos that will show me the ropes please

stu

When I do my glass blasting I cut a graphic stencil and remove the vinyl from the areas that I want to be shown. Basically, if I was wanting to have the word "car" to be the graphic blasted, I would weed the letters form the vinyl and save the outer area. You would then, after cleaning the glass, apply the vinyl to the glass. Mask off all areas that you don't want blasted and blast away. You should have a blasting cabinet(ready made or home built), a respirator and safety goggles. You don't want to breath in the silica dust. I made my sandblasting cabinet from a laundry room tub sink. You can also do paste etching. US Cutter sells Etch All which is re-useable. It will frost the glass. This uses the same procedure as above. I hope my rough outline helps. Anyone else want to chime in with advice?

Tip for doing small intricate designs, apply the entire decal to the bottle first and weed it afterwards. Makes it ALOT easier with thin fiddly bits.