Sign in to follow this  
freezermink

'orange peal' look in chrome vinyl?

hey guys, i just got my shipment of chrome vinyl in for one of my first jobs... i cut out a test decal to see how it would look.  it cuts and weeds great, but there seems to be a heavy orange peal effect... like with the paint on a car.  attached is a pic, from some angles it looks fine, but from others it looks really sub-par.  its the schein holographic chrome from signwarehouse.  if this is simply how it is, i'm unfortunately going to have to send it back, as its pretty unacceptable for what i need to do.  anyone have experience with it or have any suggestions? 

post-13661-12986566778684_thumb.jpg

post-13661-12986566802162_thumb.jpg

Never had that issue. I have used Avery Chrome for years.

what is the product number for the avery chrome you use?  looks like i am going to have to re-order.

i've spoken to the signwarehouse people and they suggest that i am applying it wrong. 

what?  :)

i'm applying it with a squeegee onto flat glass.  i don't understand how i can be doing it wrong.  also, there is quite a bit of the orange peel on the roll before i even make a cut. 

thanks for the info guys... i'll have to give that a try.  though after seeing a few pictures of chrome vinyl, it seems they all have this problem a bit.  maybe not to the extent that i am seeing in the vinyl i got, however.  i have worked with extremely thick chrome vinyl before and it was really great, though cutting and weeding was a nightmare.  it was also around $25 a yard at 15in wide... not very cost effective.

ah how fun it is to learn things like this on the fly.   :)

$25 a yard! I pay like $50 or 60 for a 10yd roll of it. Your getting hosed IMO. You can get it from Fellers or Beacon Graphics. Avery chrome is thick at 2 mils and the oracal stuff is 1 mil which is paper thin. I've used both with good success.

nah i hadn't used the avery or oracal before... i believe some of it was Gerber and the other was Neschen - hence the prices.  luckily i wasn't ever the one fronting the money for that vinyl.  I just got that quote this afternoon for gerber 15in wide... $23.50 or something per yard.  at that rate i'd rather panhandle for money than charge my clients to cover those costs.  i have a friend sending some of that Neschen vinyl over; enough to get my job completed.  its good stuff.  then i'm going to experiment more with this Scheinholographics stuff.  funny... i read nothing but great things about it. 

hey guys, i just got my shipment of chrome vinyl in for one of my first jobs... i cut out a test decal to see how it would look.  it cuts and weeds great, but there seems to be a heavy orange peal effect... like with the paint on a car.  attached is a pic, from some angles it looks fine, but from others it looks really sub-par.  its the schein holographic chrome from signwarehouse.  if this is simply how it is, i'm unfortunately going to have to send it back, as its pretty unacceptable for what i need to do.  anyone have experience with it or have any suggestions? 

I had the same problem with that product from Sighnwarehouse..They have a 30 day return policy..I ultimatly went  with Oracal and it's the mirror your looking for..I told my sales rep about the problem and she explained might be an old batch they were pulling from..None the less I didn't like it, they gave me my money back and paid return shipping..I ordered Oracal chrome and have been happy with it thus far...

stetson5331