Sign in to follow this  
shnelson

MH871 from box to its first cut

It may not be that instructional, but I shot a quick video covering full assembly of the replacement mh871 I received today. Literally from ripping it out of its box to making its first cut and applying the decal.

I was going to do more explanation with the titles, but a wealth of that information is already available here. I just wanted to give a visual representation of what someone can expect, and how easy it is to make your first cut.

Took me about 40 minutes start to finish, would have taken me much longer if my pal wasn't there to help me out ;D

*it appears something got messed up with the audio, will fix this when I get a chance to recompile the video and make some other revisions!

comments & critique appreciated!

12/19 Edit - Added skull eps by request.

skull.eps

skull.eps

Excellent!

One question..why did you unscrew and remove the plastic on the blade holder when installing the blade? You shouldn't have to do that/

I have no real logical explanation for it, other than making sure the blade was seated all the way in... the first plotter had a faulty blade holder that wouldn't allow you to fit the blade through the plastic. Thought it was by design and didn't try it any different when the new one showed up.

Learn something new every day ;D

next time, just pop it in. If it isn't properly seated, it most likely will just fall out. The problem with doing it the other way is, you have to start all over again with adjusting the depth. And sometimes,that can be a long and time consuming process. At least for me.

I think I'm gonna  sticky it. It is a great how-to from start to finish and should help a lot of people.

Feel free to add to,or comment. Let's not turn this into a negative post,folks. If you are going to bash USC or this cutter,do it in another thread.

If it isn't properly seated, it most likely will just fall out. The problem with doing it the other way is, you have to start all over again with adjusting the depth. And sometimes,that can be a long and time consuming process. At least for me.

Tell me about it.

Right now on my cutter (Roland Stika SV-12) that's the only way to adjust depth. Can't wait for my GX-24 or CE5000-60.

Great video shnelson! I think your hired help needs a raise! ;D

I like the decal you put on the cutter head. I'm throwing some designs around for the same purpose. Would you mind sharing the vector or point me in the direction you got it from?

Where is your workspace? Is it a finished basement?

Once again, great job.

Great video shnelson! I think your hired help needs a raise! ;D

I like the decal you put on the cutter head. I'm throwing some designs around for the same purpose. Would you mind sharing the vector or point me in the direction you got it from?

Where is your workspace? Is it a finished basement?

Once again, great job.

Thanks Nitewalker!

I've added the skull eps to the original post, I had just pulled a random image from google and turned it into a vector. Resized it to 2" horizontal in SBE and it fits perfect.

Currently operating out of our unfinished basement, I have a kennel area built for the pup down there and that's about it, hoping to get it framed up and at least finish a workspace over the winter. Would also be nice to get some heat vents going down there too!

just curious, how do you get your cutter to cut material on the left side? Is that a set-up option? My 871 runs the material on the right side.

Many thanks for the vector. Yours is the second cutter head decal I've seen; the other being the road runner.

Here's my own cutter head decal:

IMG_1041.jpg

My cutter is a Graphtec CE5000-40 (identical to the -60, just 15" instead of 24"). Props if you know where he's from. I thought long and hard about what should go on there without ripping off someone else's idea. So instead, I borrowed the concept (a cutter head decal) ;).

Having a basement is nice, even unfinished. I had a couple basement workshops and they worked out well. I work in a detached garage now (woodworking) and it's been too cold to get out there... :huh:

Again, nice work, and thanks for the vector!

just curious, how do you get your cutter to cut material on the left side? Is that a set-up option? My 871 runs the material on the right side.

It all depends on where you set your origin, in the case of this video I set the origin about 10-12" from the right side. Not sure what best practice is here, but i've gotten in the habit of just throwing the vinyl on the rollers and setting the origin wherever it lines up, rather than trying to align it to the far right.

Many thanks for the vector. Yours is the second cutter head decal I've seen; the other being the road runner.

Here's my own cutter head decal:

IMG_1041.jpg

My cutter is a Graphtec CE5000-40 (identical to the -60, just 15" instead of 24"). Props if you know where he's from. I thought long and hard about what should go on there without ripping off someone else's idea. So instead, I borrowed the concept (a cutter head decal) ;D.

Having a basement is nice, even unfinished. I had a couple basement workshops and they worked out well. I work in a detached garage now (woodworking) and it's been too cold to get out there... ;D

Again, nice work, and thanks for the vector!

Awesome! I've seen him before, but can't place it - it's going to be a big DUH! moment for me when you mention it..

I got the ambition to start framing up my basement, now the cutter is tucked away in the corner and i'm having withdrawals. Thank goodness the stand has wheels so I can put it into use in a pinch. Would love to have a detached workshop, but our temps here it would definitely have to be heated!

Thanks again for the kind words.

Shawn

Final Fantasy! 1000 Needles sucka!

Yep! Nether's got it.

He was one of the first things I thought of when I saw how fast this cutter goes and how precise it is.