Sign in to follow this  
shnelson

just getting started

I got tired of paying through the teeth to have the graphics I designed cut up by another shop, so I pulled the trigger last week and got the mh871 off ebay. Started with some simple text banners and quickly progressed to three color layering:

b9f1dee28029a06cb0af3c8e9ae9e731.jpg

162b26c068f326706b0a2c7783e57f8b.jpg

228f99467b1f49d297bd4eec7e8d1114.jpg

After weeding the complex/distressed text, I can see why they wanted to charge an arm and a leg for these - but I love how they look. I have received a lot of negative feedback based on concept designs of the text, most saying they don't think it is readable from a distance. Here's what an older design looks like on my truck:

cf16e7fb52374b345a9788dd81137a91.jpg

In person, I can read it from a few car lengths back.. but I have 20/20 vision :). My biggest downfall is where it is mounted on the window, most cars are too short to catch the text because of my tailgate height :)

I can't wait to get cranking on some more designs, just too bad my cutter crapped out yesterday (lasted me 4 days of use though!)...

Thank JoeDirt - I made the duck vectors from scratch using photoshop. The designs had to be completely unique and free of trademarks for their intended use.

I like all of it, but (here come the first but) I also shoot a lot and that barrel is going to get hot. I doubt that will hold up, although it looks great.

After some serious shooting I'd like to know how the vinyl holds up.

I am an avid duck hunter...WE are in full swing here in Missouri..Next step Arkansas chasin those Mallards requires effort..LOVE the timber in Arkansas...

Your logo looks GREAT, I really like the font as well...

When I design hunting logos I use a similar looking font too.

Would you share what font and maybe the Pintail  from your design..

I really think it would look kwel on the side of my hunting trailer..

I have a ton of hunting stuff..

PM me if you want to trade stuff for it...

Thanks

stetson5331

Thanks for all the responses everyone! Means a lot to me since this is my first run at it!

xpfguy - you raise a valid concern which I share. Decided to go with the barrel decals after seeing how popular they've become, but I have my doubts with their longevity. Especially on uncured barrels, like mine, that require a constant coat of rem oil so they don't rust. Can't imagine that would have a positive effect on the decal, especially with the constant fluctuation in heat. I'd imagine coated barrels might be a better substrate, but any duck hunter's gun goes through a lot of abuse!

For anyone interested, the font I used is titled 'Defused'. I have to warn you that it will take a lot of prep work to be able to cut, the font in its original form has a lot of grunge/debris and micro tears that I had to remove/amplify by rasterizing it then converting back to vector when it was done. No big deal for me since I don't need every letter of the alphabet, but can get very tedious if you are making different sets of wording for different people!

stetson, I definitely appreciate your comments but I don't think I can provide you with the original graphics I designed since they're proprietary for the purpose, the main pintail is quickly becoming the staple of most of our media. I don't want to leave you high and dry like that though, and this goes for everyone, if you've got a similar design in mind or a photo i can work with i'd gladly throw them into layered vectors for you (the black and white really makes it pop against any color substrate in my opinion).

Hey no problem..

I just liked the Pintail and would of encorparated it into a graphic or two..I already have the font and use it regularly...I design my own hunting graphics and sometimes come across one I like...(like yours)...I will also put pieces together and create new one too.

Yours look very nice..KEEP UP the work...I will have to try the barrel lettering, no one round here has that going on yet...I wonder if 651 or laminated lettering would hold up better?

stetson5331