MarcelC

Windows VISTA USB setup for Refine plotters

The parallel and serial setup for Refine plotters with Vista is the same as XP. The USB connection does work and the setup is just a little different from XP. We do not have Vista here to document the exact steps but I was able to walk a customer through the setup today and documented the steps as accurately as I could. If anyone has corrections feel free to add to this post.

Vista USB install instructions:

Plug in the USB cable and the New Hardware wizard should open.

Choose the option locate and install driver

Vista will ask you to insert the disk with the driver- put in the mini disk that came with the plotter.

If necessary point vista to your CD rom drive to find the driver files.

After the driver is successfully installed go to the Windows Control Panel>System and Maintenance>Device Manager

Under the ports category you should see the USB Serial converter. Verify which Com port the driver is assigned to and make sure Signcut is using the same settings. If you can?t get the default Com port assignment to work try changing the USB Serial adapter Com port number to 1, 2, 3, or 4 and match that setting in Signcut.

In Signcut click on Settings>Cutter. Make sure the ?manufacturer? is Refine, ?cutter? is MH EH 721, Device is set to the same Com # matching the Com # assignment of the USB serial converter driver in device manager. Now you are ready to cut.

Guest missy

I have had my refine MH721 for about 3 weeks and still cannot get it work.  I am using Vista, and Sign Cut2x.  I did get it to work one time don't know how but it did.  It is set on COM 3.  Sometimes it will cut and sometimes it won't even when you do you graphic in sign cut and don't have to transfer it.  I never saw the found new hardware.  When it cuts it wants to go all the way across and hit the other side and you have to turn the cutter off.  One time the blade is hitting the rollers.  How to do you fix that?  please help.  I already have an order and can not get the cutter to work. 

If it is going all the way to the end of the cutter and grinding, the cutter is being told to cut outside of its cutting area. You can contact me directly for some troubleshooting.

kenimes@uscutter.com

Guest missy

Ken I spoke with you a while back.  I am using my laptop right now with XP like we discussed.  I would really like to use my desk top with Vista.  Could you please help me sometime figure out how to get the cutter to work on my desk top. 

thanks,

Missy

Guest missy

sorry I forgot I can not find the drivers on the disk that came with the plotter.

It is no problem. If your Vista computer has internet access, we can download the needed drivers and set it up.

email me directly to setup a time we can walk through it kenimes@uscutter.com

Is there a diffrent driver for the USB on the Refine using Vista???

Is it the same one posted in the download section???

i too just bought a refine plotter and cannot get the drivers to install using vista.  The hardware wizzard cannot find the driver on the cd.  Please help?

Is there a diffrent driver for the USB on the Refine using Vista???

Is it the same one posted in the download section???

Same driver

i too just bought a refine plotter and cannot get the drivers to install using vista.  The hardware wizzard cannot find the driver on the cd.  Please help?

Welcome to our forums!

email me directly with a contact number and I will help you out:  kenimes@uscutter.com

I followed these instructions.

When i plugged the USB cable into my computer....no "new hardware found" came up.

I've put in the little cd for the USB cable download in the computer...that thing is so confusing...I have no idea which icon to click on...so I tried them ALL.....  I'm just not having any luck.

If "Found New Hardware" did not appear, then you may already have the drivers installed. Just check you device manager to see if it is listed in the Ports category.

Hi, I purchased my Refine 721 cutter in June, 2007 and have been blessed with an easy setup and few glitches. My dilemma, however, is that the USB ports on the laptop I was using (Windows XP) have died according to the computer guy. Last Friday, I cut one job and went back about 10 minutes later to do three more small jobs and no USB ports! On top of that, I "organized" my work area and cannot find the installation disks or the Sign Cut software that I loaded on my laptop.

I will try to burn a CD when I get in the office (I can't sleep and it's 3:30 AM), and see if that will work. If it doesn't work, is there a way to download and install the software/drivers to my Vista laptop (the computer I will use to replace the original one), as well as the Sign Cut software without having the disks?  I used the certificate that came with the cutter to buy a subscription (I am still confused about that) for the Sign Cut software but is it possible to re-download it without having to pay? And, before I forget, will Vista work with the cutter and software as nicely as my XP?

I need help and quick, so thank you in advance for any support you may give me!

Debbie in MN

You can download the drivers for the USB connection and the software, without charge. SignCut will still use the same license number as before.

Thank you for your help, I still haven't had a chance to get away to hook up Vista laptop, but it's gotta happen soon, and I may need your help, but I appreciate the heads up. By the way, I did find my Sign Cut X2 software and key code so that should help a bit... Debbie

I can't get my plotter to communicate with my vista laptop. I will try again following the information below. How do I stop the vinyl from bunching when the machine is initialized? It wil attempt to roll but bunches on the last roll direction and jams. Please help

Torita

I received my Refine cutter today and I'm hooked! I had trouble getting the cutter going though, I have Vista and was getting a Blue Screen Of Death when I tried to install the USB drivers. It would happen right after I plugged the cutter in. I ended up having to go to the FTDI website (http://www.ftdichip.com) and getting the latest VCP drivers. I booted Vista in safe mode and the printer worked fine when I plugged the cutter in. I updated the drivers once it was recognized with the new drivers and rebooted and everything was fine. Figured I would post this incase someone else has this problem.

EDIT*

I just found the drivers in the downloads section of the USCutter site, wish I seen it earlier LOL. The CD supplied with the cutter must not of been up to date.

I received my Refine cutter today and I'm hooked! I had trouble getting the cutter going though, I have Vista and was getting a Blue Screen Of Death when I tried to install the USB drivers. It would happen right after I plugged the cutter in. I ended up having to go to the FTDI website (http://www.ftdichip.com) and getting the latest VCP drivers. I booted Vista in safe mode and the printer worked fine when I plugged the cutter in. I updated the drivers once it was recognized with the new drivers and rebooted and everything was fine. Figured I would post this incase someone else has this problem.

EDIT*

I just found the drivers in the downloads section of the USCutter site, wish I seen it earlier LOL. The CD supplied with the cutter must not of been up to date.

Correct, the drivers on the driver CD are older then the latest ones available on our support site. Glad to hear you got it figured out. Isn't Vista and USB fun?

;D

I looked on US Cutter and could not find the download section to get the new USB drives for my MH721 and Vista operating software.  Can you please direct me in locating this?  Thank you for your help.  I bought this 14 months ago, so from what I understand the small CD that came with it wont work with Vista.  Is this correct?

Vinyl cutter model: Refine 721

Date purchased (Date is best, otherwise month and year) June 2007

Connection method (USB, serial, Parallel): Currently USB, serial

Software (Signcut, Artcut, Flexi, etc): SignCut X2 PE, v2.21

Operating system: Vista Business

Material: Spectra Eco-Film (t-shirt vinyl)

;D Hi all. I'm back again with the same issue with Vista and USB. Ken, I know you are busy and I really appreciate your knowledge. I ordered USB to serial converter, USB to parallel converter today and hope to get them tomorrow to see if that will fix my problem - which is that my cutter won't communicate with the computer.

When I hooked up the serial cable (very short 17") that came with the cutter, I verified the COM port to (COM5). there is no COM1 for some reason on my computer - I looked in the device drivers and it doesn't exist.

STEPS TAKEN THUS FAR: Verified current version of SignCut (2.21), hooked up serial port, re-booted computer, shut off cutter, reset cutter, changed baud rate from USB setting of 4800 to 9600 on both cutter and software. I tried to do things in the correct order to clear any "buffer".

My cutter works great sometimes, then when I try again, we're back to problems. I needed 7 pieces of text (10.5" wide), I cut 3 just fine, then we went to onesies to cajole the cutter to work. Each time I have to shut down both cutter and computer and it is very time-consuming. I cannot use the Application Launcher from CorelDraw X4 anymore, so I start SignCut and imported an .ai version. That worked for a few designs, but no more. I need three more to get the job out, plus a single t-shirt design for another customer.

I hooked up the serial cable that came with cutter, I thought I was home free. No such luck as now it doesn't even recognize anything! Please help, people are coming tomorrow at lunchtime to pick up their garments!

Debbie in MN

debbie design in what every program you want,, but then download the free sign blazer,, export the eps file in there and cut from sign blazer,,

I have a refine mh-871  this is what i do,, i also design in xara extreme, as long as we save as a eps file, we dont need to draw in sign blazer just use it as our tool to get to where we can cut.

I hope this helps, from a fellow minnesotian,,

You can download the drivers for the USB connection and the software, without charge. SignCut will still use the same license number as before.

I realize this post is several months old, but I'm hoping your still monitoring it.

We bought a MH-871, and were having problems getting it to cut via a PC we use for work. The signblazer software is a memory hog, and the other printers on the PC seem to conflict with the cutter. I'm using the USB connection, as is two other printers. One of the printers, HP6210 office jet is the one that is conflicting it. I unloaded the other drivers for the other printers, and turned off the two other printers so they wouldn't try to load as I was trying to load the MH-871 which by the way, SignBlazer doesn't list on their selections, I used MH-721.

Anyways, I did get the MH-871 to cut after uninstalling the both drivers from the HP Officejet 6210, and the Epson Color Stylus 1280, oh I also had to uninstall the driver for the Ultrapro USB hub.

For whatever it's worth, I also had to select Cutter/Plotter on COM 4 (USB001, didn't show up under settings in Signblazer), once I had the MH-871's driver that I downloaded from support.uscutter.com because the one on the CD didn't work. It did cut the test file.

My question, and sorry it took so long to get it out is, Can I now run the other printers or do you find that these cutters have to be run on their own, or by themselves on a PC?

I can't seem to get the HP Officejet 6210 to load now, but the EPson loads fine.

Paul

Are you plugging the cutter into the hub with the printers? If you are this may

be where the conflic is.

Just my thoughts,

Dave