Sign in to follow this  
deth502

upgrading to green??

so, i have an mh871, and i have been thinking of upgrading.

ive heard a lot of good about graphtec, but the price to get one in a comparable size makes it not an option.

so then i was looking at a copam 48". the price is acceptable to me, but in searching, i see a lot of recommendations for the green.

i recall reading things about added features like an eye that will auto find the edges and registration marks to do contour cutting.

the $2 is a bit out of my budget, but not unmanageable.

so, what it all boils down to for me, since the 2k will be stretching funds as is, will i be able to take advantages of all these features using the programs i have now??, inkscape and sign blazer, or will i also have to drop a hundred or more on a new app to use these features?

For an extra 500.00 you can go black.....For that money you get 4 more inches, tangential cutting, media basket and 3 year warranty....Or if 2,000 is the limit they have a 40" machine that takes 48" material......

so.... whats tangential cutting?? i looked at the blacks, but i didnt really notice enough advantages to justify the extra cost.

Here is an explanation

Drag and tangential cutting

Differences between drag and tangential cutting

swivelknife.jpg

Swivel or drag knife

Its simplicity has made drag knife (or swivel knife) technology, the most commonly used. In order to cut corners the knife can rotate freely in the knife holder. To orientate the knife direction, a drag-movement is made assuming the knife tip will follow accordingly.

Summa cutters include enhanced methods to optimise this drag-movement to obtain the best possible cutting quality.

Drag-movement

The drag knife cuts and stops before entering a corner

The eccentric blade is rotated by performing a drag-movement, while never leaving the media, to the desired angle

Once the drag-movement is finished the machine can continue cutting

swivelknife_movement.gif

Tangential knife

Tangential cutting technology guarantees a superior performance compared to commonly used drag/swivel knife techniques. The direction of the tangential knife is electronically controlled, by which T-series are capable of cutting very precise and with very high pressures. The perfect cutting makes weeding very easy, saving you a lot of valuable time.

tangential.jpg

tangential_movement.gif

Tangential movement

The tangential knife cuts and stops before entering a corner

The blade is lifted, for certain difficult corners, and rotated to the desired angle by an extra motor

Once the blade has the desired angle, the blade is lowered and cutting is continued

Coclusion

Drag knife

Faster cutting

Easier usage (only knife pressure adjust)

Tangential knife

More detail and smaller fonts

Thicker and rigid materials

More accurate knife depth adjustment