Sign in to follow this  
steelnvinyl

Please Help..Cutter cuts multiple paths...using Signcut & live trace in Illustra

for the most part i have it down...for fonts i just "create outlines" in illustrator and it cuts in Signcut.  When i draw something in Illustrator, i usually "flatten transparency and then rasterize" and it cuts fine...but not always.. I NOW HAVE A SCANNED PDF FILE AND WHEN I "LIVE TRACE" IN ILLUSTRATOR, SIGNCUT WANTS TO CUT THE SAME STICKER MULTIPLE TIMES..in the past its done this and cut the exact path but lately its pretty off on the 2nd and 3rd cut...big problem and mess. Whats my solution pro's.:thumbsup:

If you also happen to ise inkscape and if its one color you can resize it as a larger image and save it as a jpeg or png and then open it again in inkscape and revector it it will be fine then -

If not (I've been away from adobe a while) can you ungroup it multiple times the layers could be very deep I have had to ungroup it 7 or more times -

Or just a thought inkscape has cut to path that will take the image and all layers are combined into one - sorta but basically that's how it works

If you're using live trace in AI, you'll get a path for both BLACK AND WHITE, that's why your cutting program is cutting twice, because there are 2 paths, one on top of the other in your vectored file. Try toggling between the 2 colors in signcut and you'll see the duplicate vectors. Try cutting black only.

If you're using live trace in AI, you'll get a path for both BLACK AND WHITE, that's why your cutting program is cutting twice, because there are 2 paths, one on top of the other in your vectored file. Try toggling between the 2 colors in signcut and you'll see the duplicate vectors. Try cutting black only.

:thumbsup:

Thank you hockeygirl that makes sense. I didnt have anything to "ungroup" like the first reply suggested. And does anyone like inkscape? Its new to me and havnt done anything in it. 

When something is one color in Illustrator, and you're live tracing it, Change the Preset to "One Color Logo" instead of just using "Default." It will only create vectors for the black portion, and not the white, and you won't end up with it cutting twice for both of them.  This will take care of your problem.

Thank you hockeygirl that makes sense. I didnt have anything to "ungroup" like the first reply suggested. And does anyone like inkscape? Its new to me and havnt done anything in it. 

that is all we use and we use that to cut from so we dont need SB or any other cutting software

I wish i have figured this out by now but havnt.  I dont see "one color" option in the live trace..not in the presets or when i choose color and it must have atleast 2 -256 colors. Can i get this even though my project is in RGB? i also have Photoshop and Imageready....would it be possible in any of these even though i think Signcut only reads ai. files

Woo Woo!! just got it.  Check the box "strokes" along with the already checked "fills," i could see the preview says "1" color...when i opened and previed it in Signcut, i saw it cut everything ONCE...wonderful. this will help me a bunch on future projects...Thanks everyone