rbeaman204

Newb from Texas with some questions!

Hello All!

I am so new that I haven't even started yet. I am wanting some advice as far as software. I am looking at the MH series of cutters (if things take off for me I will get a Graphtec or Roland later) since I am on an extremely small budget(under $1000)...and I am curious as to what the different softwares allow. I am really wanting something that I can scan a picture/logo into to duplicate and also create custom shapes etc. Will they all do this? Or only some?

Is this (cutter and software) something that i am going to be able to operate from my Laptop(Dell inspiron with Windows XP)

Best place to buy vinyl? (best bang for your buck)

Any hints are greatly appreciated!

Thank you all!

Welcome, I'm here in South Texas!

I use inkscape for the majority of my design work, and use flexi starter to cut.

As far as material goes, uscutter.com sells just about everything. But when I buy from them it normally takes about a week to be delivered.  I order the majority of my things from signwarehouse.com. They only take about 2 days and its at my doorstep(they have a warehouse somewhere here in texas).

Welcome from North West Texas! Inkscape is the all around program for most. And I have Signblazer, But I use Flexi 7.5. The flexistarter is a very good program that is reasonable. You should have no problem running a cutter from a laptop with xp. And I use a local blueprint shop to buy my vinyl. If you can do the same it will save you in waiting for delivery and shipping charges. Hope that helps. Enjoy the forum!

Well I ordered my MH cutter 34" and it is in transit- I have to say after reading all the mixed reviews about the shadyness on orders, shipment and tracking numbers I am very pleased SO FAR.... I ordered a ton of vinyl from uscutter website SUnday evening, Had a confirmaiton email Monday am and a tracking number by Monday night. I recieved my order on Wednesday AM...Quite impressed. I ordered my cutter from UScutters ebay store for a lot less than what their website had listed. Same thing, had a confirmation email and then a tracking number confirming shipment around 12 hours later. It is supposed to be here friday as I have been tracking it through fedex...  Cutter came from somewhere in Washington and vinyl came from Tennessee...

Hopefully everything will go as smoothly as it has so far once the cutter gets here. I am really crossing my fingers for no problems setting it up. I ordered a heat press on ebay as well, by Illumapress...anyone ever heard of them? Looks pretty solid-

I can't wait to start this new adventure. If it takes off for me that would be AWESOME-if not- well at least I don't ever have to buy another gift for anyone....I can just make it!  :thumbsup:

Welcome from California! And if your laptop does not have serial port. Might I suggest getting a serial-USB adapter or external powered USB hub to run the cutter. And don't forget to ground your cutter before attempting to cut vinyl. Good luck! You'll get addicted soon!

Guest Marek

Welcome from Canada !

Have fun with it !!