prestonservco

Hey Dummy!......What were you thinking?

LOL.  Got any stories of something you screwed up making signs, using cutters, heat pressing, etc...

We were all Newbies at one point.  I'm sure there are some hilarious stories out there.  I'll start off:

The other day I was weeding a very detailed graphic for a friend.  I had to cut a couple copies to "piece together" one good graphic - the tiny pieces kept getting stuck to things, or would pull up when weeding.  After an hour of agonizing, I realized that I accidentally "reverse weeded" the graphic.  Argh!  Had to start over.

layering the simplest 3 color logo, and taping the bottom layer first on all 4 copies. and then forgetting when I taped the top layer first, trimming the tape to that layer forgetting the other layers were bigger.

Made a 4' x 8' double sided coro sign, after doing one side I flipped it over and did the other. Guess what, it was upside down.  ;D

Ever forget to press the origin button on your cutter, then send the project to the cutter only to have it spit the vinyl out the backside....then do it again....and...well why not a third time too.  LOL.

Guest manwayvan

yep... all of the above  ;D

;D The joys of being new..lol

yep... all of the above  ;D

;) The joys of being new..lol

Actually been at this for a few years now, but just don't post a whole lot.

Guest Marek

^^^ I've done that but it was only a 2 footer ..

I cut 6 shirts designs and weeded them. I turned the heat press on only to realize I didn't mirror the image.

I cut 6 shirts designs and weeded them. I turned the heat press on only to realize I didn't mirror the image.

Now there is one EVERY heat press owner can relate too!

My first run was 20 shirts 12x15 cut em all, weeded them and put the first one on the shirt on the heatpress and said a bunch of not so nice words. :'(

LOL.  I've done that with JPSS heat transfers too.  Walked to the press, layed out the paper, Argh.  Went back and reprinted.  Walked to the press, layed out the paper, DOUBLE ARGH.  Trying to do too many things at once.

Guest Schramm

I think that I have you all beat!  I faux finished with a custom antique reproduction sign for a top a dresser.  I spent 20 hours on the finish and another 5 hours on the custom top which was to look like the 1920's sign of there grandfathers market.  When delivering the dresser they said that they loved it except that I spelt there name wrong!!!  I had to have it stripped and started all over again! 

LOL.  Love it Shramm!  I applied etched glass vinyl to a customer's mirror, which turned out spelled wrong.  Thank goodness it was just vinyl, and the customer gave me the spelling which I had him sign-off on.  Phew!

I guess the one boo boo I made the most was forgetting that the refine doesn't advance after cut like my other cutters do.

A design flaw which I had hoped they would have corrected by now. But,they apparently haven't.

made the jpss mirror boo boo this morning only one though when i caught jhelms

I've had to throw away several feet of vinyl because I didnt do a test run on a vector that came off of a cd.

Also I've learn not to be cutting mature graphics when little kids are around. They have really good eyes even 10 or 15 feet away. A little girl and was wondering why a tasmanian devil was holding his middle finger up like this. Fortunately her parents though it was funny..but..I was really embarassed.  :thumbsup:

My first banner had a large 40 on it for an anniversary.  It was about 3 ft high, and had a lined border.  About half way through weeding the 4 I realized I pulled the wrong section.  :'(

Now I keep a close eye on the monitor when I'm weeding, or print it out and have the sheet by me when doing detailed weeding.

<--------Newb!! Only been at this less than a year. Have made all those mistakes and more!!! Thanks for making me feel so much better about them!!!! It was great to know that they are newbie mistakes and that my mind is not all gone yet! Have a great day...Renee

PS...what is my deal with ect? LOL I know it's supposed to be etc.:thumbsup:

Got samples in a couple weeks ago of Imprintables spectra cut to try.cut out my logo to print a shirt for advertisement only to find I loaded the spectra cut in upside down,cutting the carrier,ruining 10" 0f 12" sample,took out instructions out just before and put on table(who needs those anyway!)DUMMY!!!!  

Last night, I was cutting a bunch of 24"x12" back window graphics for a client. Had it all weeded and taped. Lined it up wrong on the trimmer, and ended up cutting bottom half inch of the graphics on 5 of them before I realize what I was doing... *insert curse words here* and recut 5 new stickers.

Stupid things I've done:

Had my rollers too close together, and my vinyl fell off. Not good. Finally realized I needed to separate them a good bit more so the vinyl would 'fall' into the rollers more.

All kinds of weeding disasters before I discovered weeding lines.

Accidentally touching app-tape to vinyl before I was ready to put it on....wasted cut!

About a week or so ago I printed 2000 decals for a guy on this forum...I printed them in sheets of 200 i think it was. I then ran about half of them through the laminator and then realized I DID NOT add the reg. marks so i could put them back into the cutter after lam so there was no way to cut them....Yea BAD DAY...Worked all day and broke even....

About a week or so ago I printed 2000 decals for a guy on this forum...I printed them in sheets of 200 i think it was. I then ran about half of them through the laminator and then realized I DID NOT add the reg. marks so i could put them back into the cutter after lam so there was no way to cut them....Yea BAD DAY...Worked all day and broke even....

ohhh that sucks