meggimann

Repectfully requesting some guidance

Need some guidance.  I have a Master cutter (XP300P) controlled by the 328 FlexiStarter Desay version of software.  My wife bought this setup a couple years ago for a business that never took off and I've dabbled with it on a hobby basis since cutting out text designs.  (I've done some cool stuff and love working with it).  The computer that came with the purchase is a MEGA 865 (all in one) running XP and has a version of Illustrator.  I want to attempt to make a go of a small business in vinyl decals and potentially t-shirts but realize I have a couple of hurdles to contend with:

1).  I'm not fluent in any of the design programs (Corel, Illustrator, etc)...will endeavor to do so.  I'm not a computer idiot but just haven't had any luck getting my version of Illustrator to work with the minimalistic Flexi program I have.

2).  The Flexi program won't open anything that wasn't created within itself...I've spent countless hours making attempts.  I've tried to open Vector files and EPS files to no avail...P.O.S.

3).  I would like to try and keep the cutter I have (it works great) but I'm having problems determining if it will be compatible with current cutting programs.  I tried a trial version of CoCut which talked to my cutter but sent cut lines all over the place.

Here's where I'm at, have talked with one local equipment vendor who told me that the age of my cutter probably limits it's ability to communicate with the newer software applications.  He gave me a quote of $4700 for what was said I would need to get started.  It included $2500 for a SmartCutter Pro, $1200 for the SmartCut Pro software, $250 for Corel, $699 for SmartDesigner X4 and $399 for pre-fabbed artwork.  Sounded like a steep cost which sent me to the internet where I found this awesome forum.  I now realize that for an entry level person like myself, shelling out nearly $5k isn't the best course of action nor really necessary so I'm seeking some guidance.

What I'd like to get is an affordable setup.  A solid vinyl cutter for both signage and heat transfer applications.  I am interested in future contour cutting as I would like to eventually get into printed designs as well.  Can anyone suggest some good cutters with appropriate and functional software for a newbie like me?  Also, I have a new computer that is Windows 7 (64-bit) as I hear that has an effect on what software will work. 

Thanks.  Love this forum.

Hello,  you are stating that the Flexistarter program will not open files.....  Are you sure that you are IMPORTING them?  NOT OPEN...  I have the Seiki cutter version of Flexistarter. and it imported files just fine. Also it is best to try an older version of Adobe illustrator  like CS2.  I had no problem importing CS2 files into Flexi starter.  and you do not need to spend $4700 to get started,  that is crazy..  They are just trying to sell you their products.

I also have the same cutter, i was using signgo software and it would do everything you want to do except the contour cutting. I just recently upgraded to a used Graphtec that will do the contour cutting but the master did it all before..Michael

Well, thanks already.  I was NOT using the import option...that is how much I trully know about the design aspect of things.  I did import an old file I had into Flexi but realized it was a jpeg file so the cutting program wouldn't recognize it.  I opened it in Illustrator (CS2) but now the million dollar question is how do I save it as a file that the cutting program will see?  I need to vectorize it, correct?  I don't know how to accomplish that. 

I will be the true test of how well this forum works...haha. My lack of knowledge will test the best of you gurus out here ;)

why don't you just go into the graphics thread here in this forum,  and download, an ,ai file or an .eps file and try that,  Just try and import it.  You can only use vectorized files.

On how to vectorize, here is a thread with several videos I have done showing you how to create a vector file(eps) from a raster(jpeg, png, gif..etc).  They all use inkscape, which is free.  Its another program that does the same thing as illustrator, I have both and prefer inkscape actually for vinyl work. Even if you don't use inkscape watching the one about path, strokes, and fills, will help you understand the difference between a vector file and a raster file.

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,27470.0.html

I would keep the cutter you have, it will work just fine for getting started.  Then if you want to contour cut in the future you can cross that bridge when you get there.

Flexi is great software......you'll get it figured out! 

I also second the advice, go grab any .eps file from the graphics sharing thread, import it and make that cutter go, it will get you inspired!

Thanks for the input...and those great tutorials. Showed me alot right off the bat.  I did download Inkscape. Great program.  I pulled a picture off the internet and did some designing. (See the before and after attached.)  I saved the vectorized version as both an svg and an eps then opened my Flexi software and tried to import each but got an error that the "format was not supported".  So, after pulling some hair out, I opened the file in Illustrator and saved it as an "ai" file.  Flexi then saw it and I was able to send it to my cutter.  Success.  Now, should I have to go through all of that each time? 

Also, if I wanted to attempt to recreate that original artwork in several colors, is there a tutorial to show how to do layers? 

Again, thanks for the great assistance.  I'm still at sea with all there is to learn but at least I'm heading in the right direction. 

post-8106-1298655351161_thumb.jpg

Peloteros_Ball player.svg

post-8106-12986553523205_thumb.jpg

Peloteros_Ball player.svg

No...Thats on the list when i get some time to do multiple color tutorials, time has been tight lately though because my first kiddo should be here any day.....so you can imagine.  I am working at my real job today trying to get ahead so I can take some time off. 

To answer though, no you shouldn't have to do that each time, a couple things to watch for.

1.  Don't import an svg into flexi.....it doesn't support that type, the only reason I save it as an svg is so I can edit it again in inkscape because once its exported as an eps inkscape will not edit it anymore.

2.  Make sure all the raster images you traced and such are removed from the document before you save.  Everything should be a vector when you save, grab the node edit tool and click on everything, make sure the nodes show up.  Also zoom way out, sometimes you leave something off screen when you work and that can cause your problems.  My flexi won't import things unless its all vector.

3.  Keep the file names short, my flexi won't open anything over like 8-10 characters in the file name....and I have no idea why.  Not sure if this is across the board or if its just me on that one though.

Good luck, keep working, looks like you are getting somewhere!

Thank you so much for the support.  And, Congrats on the new-born...life about to get interesting now, haha.