Sign in to follow this  
veddderman123

Quoting Jobs Kill me!

Man, I need some serious help on learning what our craft should charge.  To many time I shoot way to low and get burned.  But at the same time I don't want to quote to high and lose the job.  I've tried comparing prices with other sites and using a price calculator that was going around but I'm still not confident in giving quotes.

What would you charge for a 2 color 24"X45" decal?  I was thinking like $45 or so... Am I way off or does that sound about right? 

For a decal that size 2 colors. If the customer is applying I would be on a low end of $75-$80 for 2. Depending on the detail in the weeding.

Guest sciondrgn

I'm with bigfoot, about $80 ready to apply

Yep $80 for me too.

I have a very inexact science for quoting, but I just wing it and it works out pretty good for me.  I always figure out my time I am going to have into it and work out what I am going to be making hourly compared to what I think to be its "perceived value" to the customer.

In my head, this is my thought process (doubt it works for everyone, but its my head and it works for me) "Ok...... we are talking a 2' x 4' decal here.  I sell single color 12x12 for $10 if buying one, so if you scale that linear thats 80 bucks fo a 2x4 decal.....hmmm seems knda high to me, heck in single color it would take me 20-30 minutes tops so I say $50 sounds good, but he wants 2 color, so half again as much is what I do for 2 color, that gives me $75.....heck make it $80!, its probably going to take me about an hour from when I sit down til I am cleaned up....so that sounds  about right."

The important things to know is how long its going to take you, and how much you want to make per hour.  The materials are so far below markup for labor in all cases to me I don't worry about it much.

Take the pressure off of getting the price quote wrong and just think it through, and make sure you pay yourself a good wage.  Remember ,what you charge per hour is not what you make per hour.  I figure out of that take of 5% for materials, 10% for machinery upkeep/improvement and rent and advertising, and 1/3  for taxes, you en up taking home $40 out of the deal all said and done....still not bad.  

I have often wondered about this.  tlzimmerman that is great information and a good way to price determine price.

Mary Ann