Sign in to follow this  
butnz

Sandblasting... dust contol

Guest crshirts

If you use shop vac you need the right filter or filter bag.

look at some sandblasting equipment sites and see what is available.

Carl

I'd be somewhat reluctant to believe that unit would filter the very fine dust that is created by blasting, but it might be worth a try.

I built a water-type filter based on a 5 gallon bucket, posted here: http://www.cuttingedgesandcarving.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11570

It only uses about 1 gallon of water, so it could easily be dumped down the drain when you are done for the day.

I'd be somewhat reluctant to believe that unit would filter the very fine dust that is created by blasting, but it might be worth a try.

I built a water-type filter based on a 5 gallon bucket, posted here: http://www.cuttingedgesandcarving.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11570

It only uses about 1 gallon of water, so it could easily be dumped down the drain when you are done for the day.

Looking around the garage last night I came up with an idea.  Yea, it hurt.  ;D

I could set up the cyclone unit with the shop vac and then vent the shop vac out the back of the garage.  Between the cyclone capturing most of the stuff, a hepa filter in the shop vac and venting it out the wall of the garage, I would be pretty much dust free. I need to seal off a few leaks in the blasting cabinet, but then I think I might have a good setup.

Airflow:

Compressor > Pressure regulator > dryer > blasting cabinet > cyclone > shop vac w/ filter > outside venting.

I thought the problem was that your shopvac filter was clogging, that's why you were looking for an alternative?  The HEPA filter will suck up all the dust, but it will clog.

Don't seal the cabinet up too much, you need to let as much air in as you are sucking out or your shopvac will be running hard and you will suck up too much grit into your cyclone.  You really only need a slight vacuum to clear the very fine dust floating around, the bigger particles don't fly very far.

Just make sure that you CAN NOT BREATHE any of the dust from sandblasting. Dust is very destructive to anything it gets in. The damage to your lungs is permanent! The extra cost of containing the dust is small compared to the medical bills from not protecting yourself. Sand blast safe. I plan to get back into it soon myself.