ff_ryan

Coasters

I am going to be making some coasters out of 4x4 tiles as a Christmas gift for some friends and need some advice. I will be using 651 for the vinyl and have heard some people recommend sealing the tiles after applying. What do you guys use as a sealer? Of course I need something clear, non-yellowing. But should I look for a  laquer or gloss enamel or what? Thanks in advance for any tips.

I'm sure several things would work. I know of one product made for viny is Frog Juice.

If you haven't thought about the bottom of the coasters you can take felt and cut it to fit and attach with hot glue. That prevents their surface from being scratched.

or cork gasket material, available in most auto parts stores.

You can also run it thru the cutter & cut to size.

Thanks for the advice people. I will have to place an order for the frog juice and give it a try. I ended up trying a clear laquer on them and it caused the vinyl to curl so I'll give the frog juice a shot. The felt works pretty good on the backs of the tiles, i've used it on a few larger ones and I had already picked up a roll of cork board that i'm going to use for the back of the coasters so they don't scratch the table or other coasters when stacked.

If it is a smooth tile I'm not sure that you would need anything. It shouldn't be anywhere near the abuse a decal on a car would get out in the weather.

Jay

Yea...If they were smooth it probably wouldn't be a problem...but they picked a textured tile. Thats why I was worried about them and wanted to try and clear coat them.

I've just started making coasters and have done some monagram ones for my family as Christmas gifts. I purchased the tiles at Lowes as well as a spray can of Crystal Clear Enamel Glossy finish made by RUST-OLEUM with 2 coats on the tiles and have had no problems with them curling etc....Hope this helps you out. I usually sell a set of 4 for $15.00-$20.00. and place small felt pads on the bottom of them in each corner.

Best Of Luck,

Kelly

After the laquer didn't work I ended up using Famowood crystal clear glaze coat. It worked out really well...but a nice thick coat over the coasters so seal the vinyl to them. The person I gave them to absoluetly loved them.