Sign in to follow this  
Dano

Cutter skipping/jumping problem

Hey everyone,

I'm new here.  I just got a Pcut a few weeks ago and it has been working great until recently. Just in the last day or two the cutter has occasionally started jumping or skipping along making a perforated cut.  I didn't change any settings from when it was working well until it started skipping.  Now I have played with the cutter speed, cutter pressure, and the cutter height. None of these changes seem to make a difference.  What should I be doing different? 

Thanks in advance for the help!

The new guy,

Dan

Welcome to our forums!!

Were you cutting the same material when this started to happen......

Welcome to our forums!!

Were you cutting the same material when this started to happen......

No, but after it started I switched back to the vinyl I had been using and the problem persisted.  It started when I was cutting some Avery reflective vinyl, now I'm back to using bright line.  It isn't happening as bad as when cutting the reflective, but it is still happening.  I would say about 10% or the time.  I might throw in a new blade and see if that changes anything.

Thanks for moving my post, I notice after the fact that there was a support forum. 

These are great forums, I have already learned a ton from just reading through the posts.

Thanks,  Dan 

:D

I would also make sure you have the blade depth set properly. Many users go by the "half the thickness of a credit card" rule when setting the blade depth. If it is out too far, it could cause this as well.

I just checked my blade hight/depth.  I would say it is around 3/4 of a credit card, I moved it to about half.  I'll do some cutting and get back to you.

Thanks,

Dan

After adjusting the blade height to the aprox 12 of a credit card, the problem persists, but not as frequently as before.  I have noticed that it only happens when cutter is moving from the left to right.  I suspect this has something to do with the blade holder being cantilevered on the right side of the carriage (not sure of the correct name).  The internal arm of the blade holder will have different loading from cutting one direction to the other.  Just a thought. 

Are there any mechanical adjustments I dare try?  Other than that I will keep playing with the blade depth, cutter pressure, and cutter speed.   

Thanks,

Dan

Sounds like the blade is not spinning freely in the holder. You way need to add alittle lubricant

Sounds like the blade is not spinning freely in the holder. You way need to add alittle lubricant

I was sort of thinking the same thing.  Is there any preferred lubricant for this application?

Thanks,

Dan

We have been working with these units with the same problem for the last day or so, and have found that 150 pressure with the blade depth set properly, cuts fine. By lowering the pressure, the problem came back. By having the blade out too far, the problem came back. Make sure you have the blade barely sticking out of the holder and try 150 for the pressure setting.

We have been working with these units with the same problem for the last day or so, and have found that 150 pressure with the blade depth set properly, cuts fine. By lowering the pressure, the problem came back. By having the blade out too far, the problem came back. Make sure you have the blade barely sticking out of the holder and try 150 for the pressure setting.

I was able to try out the higher-pressure settings last night.  It seemed to take care of my problem.  I have backed it off to 130 and still seems to be cutting smooth.  I'll keep you posted as I do some more cutting. 

Another problem I have is the accuracy of the Blade down/up spots on a cut.  I get a little spot where the cut doesn't line up just right.  It isn't a big deal, but it does throw a wrench in the mix when trying to weed something delicate.  Is there some adjustment I can make for this?  My friend has a JPI cutter that looks Identical (everything is the same except the nameplate) to my Pcut, and his seems to cut much more accurate.  I would guess there is a setting that I could change to fix it.  I just don't know what.

What should I try?

Thanks again for all your help,

Dan 

You might try changing the blade offset. This can be done in the "cut" mode by using the setup tab at the top. Look on the right side of the dialog box that pops up. It has blade offset in mm. Try .25 and see if you notice any difference.

Can't guarantee that will work, but it may solve your issue. In any case, "Book 'em Dano!" Been wanting to say that and just couldn't resist. Good ol' Hawaii Five-O stuff with Jack Lord.

You might try changing the blade offset. This can be done in the "cut" mode by using the setup tab at the top. Look on the right side of the dialog box that pops up. It has blade offset in mm. Try .25 and see if you notice any difference.

Can't guarantee that will work, but it may solve your issue. In any case, "Book 'em Dano!" Been wanting to say that and just couldn't resist. Good ol' Hawaii Five-O stuff with Jack Lord.

Hawaii Five-O was a great show.  Not to mention its classic theme song!  Thanks for the offset tip.  I just gave it a shot and did a few test cuts.  It is like night and day.  Now the cutter is spot on.  I just cut some very small lettering and it weeded easily.  The start/stop points are barely visible now and some cases not at all.

So, how does the blade offset work?  I don't fully understand how it fixed my problem, but glad it did.

Thanks

Dano

As I understand it, the blade offset is a value which compensates for the fact that the point of the blade doesn't align with the point assigned in the software program. Because the blade drags (is pulled by the cutter), as opposed to a tangential blade (which actually pushes the blade), the point will "lag" behind the point at which the software tells it to cut. The offset setting in the software allows you to align the actual point of cut with the software assigned point. Well, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. Unless, of course, someone tells me otherwise.