MarcelC

Copam Setup Instructions

US Cutter Copam Plotter Quick Install Instructions:

Signcut and most other vinyl / tint cutting software interfaces with the vinyl cutter directly without installing Windows drivers. The exception is if you choose to use the USB cable in which case you will need to install the USB>Serial conversion driver (instructions below), but this is for the type of connection and not the plotter itself. The plotter drivers are already included and need to be configured in the cutting software. In Signcut click on ?settings? and then ?cutter?. In the cutter setup you should select "Copam" as the manufacturer, ?Copam CP 2500 or model you have? as the Cutter, and then select the correct Port you are connected to under ?Device?.  It is recommended that you use parallel port as described below. Each time you change the settings after an unsuccessful cut, you may need to reboot the computer and plotter to clear the buffer. 

Parallel Port (25 pin cable at both ends):

In most cases the parallel port will work by simply connecting the parallel cable (25 pin on each end) and setting up the Signcut software to plot through the LTP1 port. Be sure you are using the cable that came with the plotter and not an extended cable. If you do have problems you can try the following steps.

1. Verify all cables are connected properly and try rebooting the computer and/or plotter.

2. Uninstall or disable all printer drivers that might be using LPT1 (Windows: Start -> Printers and Faxes <RIGHT MOUSE CLICK> ?Delete?)  You will not actually see the plotter installed as a device here but since it uses a driver through the cutting software any other installed parallel drivers could interfere with the plotter.

3. No other devices or switchboxes should be connected or daisy chained to the parallel port.

4. Change your parallel port mode to ECP if it is not already. This is done in your computer setup (BIOS) and is it recommended that only advanced users adjust this setting.

USB:

If USB port installation is necessary, you will need to install the USB to serial converter drivers.

1. Do not plug in any cables yet.  Download and install the USB to serial adapter driver from http://uscutter.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=10&Itemid=5.  Reboot.

2. Plug the USB to serial adapter into the computer's USB port (the hardware wizard should automatically detect the device using the previously installed drivers)

3. Go to Windows Start -> Control Panel (classic view) -> System -> Device Manager.  Double Click 'Ports'.  Double click  'Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port'. Under 'Port Settings' set 'Flow Control' to 'Hardware'. OK.

4. Note the COM port under 'Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port'

5. Now in Signcut click on 'Settings' -> 'Cutter', select:

Manufacturer: Copam

Cutter: Copam CP-2500

'Ok.'

This is the basic setup instructions for the Copam. As we get more detailed information we will update this post. If anyone has any other specific details about the setup feel free to add it. If you have problems getting installed or other questions please start a new topic.

config: Serial Port

What driver should I use?

When I send a file to cut the cutter stays in one spot and the blade bounces up and down?

Hi , i have 1 Copam 2500 up & running good thanks to Ken's & everybody's help . It started off working good & i was using the LTP cable . i started to only have part of the file showing up in SignCut . Ken had me use the usb cable & has been good ever since . i moved the cutter & pulled the computer off the desk . the usb cable caught it & no damage other than ruining the usb cable . i took the usb cable out of the 2nd Copam 2500 i had bought from USCutter ( E-Bay ) & everything still works great .

i bought a usb to serial 232 cable ( $9 ) off of E-bay & hooked my second copam up to the new computer with Windows Vista . All i can get is 1 letter from any file i send to SignCut & when i send that to the cutter , the cutter is VERY slow & goes across the vinyl & stays at the other end while the vinyl feeds . the blade does not come in contact with the vinyl .  i went thru the above instruction exactly several times . i am guessing the usb cable & driver i am installing ( very little experience or knowledge doing this ) might noit work with Vista ? the cable package doesn't list vista , the cable packages in BestBuy didnt list Vista either . should i go to BestBuys & buy a $39 cable ?

Thanks for the help , the help that is provided is great & goes way beyond supporting the cutters . seems every problem ive had or read about is computer related or computer operator knowledge/experience related & not the cutters .

regards , Rodger Myers

Maybe give me a ring again and I can walk you through some more troubleshooting. I do not think you need to go buy another cable.

Trying to get my Copam 2500 to start working..........did a test (small circle) and that went great!!  When using Signblazer it does not seem to be communicating with the plotter..........can I please get some help regarding setting up and checking communication when using the Serial cable?

Thanks

Jenny :help:

We took out the serial and used the USB and downloaded the updates and all has been going well since....thanks!!

Just a quick question...Imprintables Warehouse bought a Copam 2500, and couldn't get it working right away.  Josh at Imprintables decided to have someone else test this plotter, I volunteered, so he sent it to me.

I'm attempting to install everything, but the driver installation disk (the mini disk) is blank!  ;)

What drivers are these?  The RS232 to USB drivers?  If so, I've installed those, but when I plug the plotter into my usb port, it says it needs to install drivers.  What should I be doing?  I haven't gone any further yet because I don't want issues in the future.

Any assistance will be VERY much appreciated! :)

If you are running Vista down load the latest drives for you cd drive. I have had problems in the past that a disk is blank but it really is not. Other than that I can't help, sorry.

Thanks.  Nope, I'm on XP.  I looked at the disk itself, and it doesn't look like anything has every been written to it (you know how you can tell where the info is on a CD just by looking at it?).

Thanks anyway! ;)

Guest fivestar

Chani I am anxious to see your review on the 3 machines, I am sorry I cannot help you get it going.  I am sure someone will be here soon to help you out and get you going. 

I know you review will be ALOT more unbiased the Josh's would of been.  BTW, my username is theflowerboxx over at the t-shirtforums so you know how well I like Josh.  ;)

So just out of curiousity how does the build of the copam compare to your graphtec and the roland?  Also anything else you could mention while you're in limbo of getting it going, I am really interested in how they compare to one another.

I did not get any cd sent with my cutter is there any drivers i need to get for this plotter

You only need drivers if using the direct USB to USB cable, or the Serial to USB cable. Are you using either?

I'm confused, the link to the drivers in the original post only goes to the uscutter homepage.

Are these instructions still relevant? And if so which drivers are necessary?

I just got my cutter and it doesn't seem to be communicating with sign blazer, it is connect by USB, no adapter.

These instructions are for the older Copams with Serial to USB adaptors.

Open your Device Manager with the USB cable plugged in to the cutter and computer, then look in the Ports category. Should be something int here that looks like: USB Serial Port (COM#).

I tried to install the drivers via the web site and my computer still will not install the drivers......Very frustrated! :-(