Anyone know of a good resource to be able to accept credit cards from customers that is not as expensive as PayPal?

I've had a few customers want to pay via credit card again and I'm quite frankly tired of paying PayPal's high fee, Is there an online service or bank that I can use to accept payments that will not charge me as much as PayPal?

RG

If you think Paypal's fee is high...sign up for a regular credit card service. It's gonna cost you a monthly fee (the last I checked was $20 at least) and the actual transaction fee is about as high or higher than Paypal.

Guest sciondrgn

I had looked at doing that at one time and paypal was cheaper

Yea unless you are going to be processing alot of credit cards its cheaper to use paypal.

A guy at my work signed up for a service through quickbooks where he has a portable card reader and reciept printer that connects to his phone via bluetooth. It is pretty neat. The equipment is $200 along with $15 a month and .25 per transaction and 1.5% of the transaction.

He does woodworking and sells items for hundreds of dollars and does decks and fences and customers love being able to pay with a credit card.

Problem is that PayPal is no protection from a bad customer, if you can't provide a shipping confirmation you lose your money.

PayPal assumes you are shipping even though you hand deliver an item (which is what I plan to do).

Also a dispute of any sort freezes the amount in dispute.

all Paypal requires is that you have proof of delivery..which can be a signed receipt. Just print out an invoice and have the person sign it ..saying they received the item.

cosco has a merchant account very reasonable i used to have them several yrs ago and it was like 10 bucks a month and 1.8% with a 15 cent transaction  you might want to check into coscos 

Costco sounds like a good idea.

RG

cosco has a merchant account very reasonable i used to have them several yrs ago and it was like 10 bucks a month and 1.8% with a 15 cent transaction  you might want to check into coscos 

Long story short, paypal is way cheaper unless you do a whole ton of transactions, and if you are getting proof of delivery (which you should ALWAYS have no exceptions) then you are covered.

I have had great luck with paypal so far personally.

Ironically I picked up my Oct issue of The Costco Connection magazine I get. There is a article on this exact subject of credit card processing. At the end of the article is says:

"For more information on the program, visit Costco.com, click on "Services" and then on "Credit Card Processing." Or call toll-free 1-800-848-6705 and refer to code 83120"

Article says there are no high cost contracts and all charge and fees are up front with no hidden fees. Contracts are for 2 years and only $95 to cancel at anytime.

Check it out. GL  :thumbsup:

thanks my point

Ive never had any trouble out of costcos credit card machines and they are less expensive then paypal is 

I've used Global for my credit card fees for a few years now. It is really expensive I think. The terminal is free and you send it back when you are finished. Any repairs they pay for. I was using a wireless terminal and paying about 60.00 a month whether I had any cr. card transactions or not, plus the added amt. when I did take cards for that month. This month my fee was 68.00, but I had about 900.00 in tramnsactions. I've dropped the wireless part of the plan so I save 15.00 a month now, but I got stuck with 2 bad credit cards over the weekend. I'd like to find a cheaper processor also that has the wireless part.Sandy

The other day, I read somewhere that PayPal is now offering or soon will be offering cell phone to cell phone money transfers.

That would be nice feature if you are out on the job and the customer has PayPal he could pay you on the spot via cell phone.

Someone told me a while ago that PayPal also offered the credit card machine services, and that they were supposed to be competitive with other companies, but I never heard if he followed up with it.

In today's day and age, you almost have to have the machine. A good example would be me. I don;t carry much cash if any anymore, I use my card for everything. Especially in a store front situation, you do not want that customer to walk out the door, that's when buyers remorse sets in and you lose a sale. If they have to come back, chances are they won't.

Kevin

I heard the Sams club one was pretty good too, just a little hard to get setup, as in time to get it done, not real speedy.

Kevin.

I've tried Paypal and other solutions before but always had problems or dissatisfying experiences, i finally found the best service with the best fee in the market. I'm using SalesVu, an app you download for free from www.salesvu.com or from the itunes store, they send the small cards reader for ur iphone/ipad and u start accepting cards, cash or check. It's totally safe and very easy to use. Does any other here use it?

GoPayment from Intuit. it works on the go, i have it on my iPad and iPhone. 3 months free then 12 month, swipe fee about 1.7

I go with my bank. They have the best rates. A lot cheaper than paypal. I also have a wireless gateway so I can process cards anywhere even on my phone.

Square. Love it. www.squareup.com

No monthly fee's. Can swipe cards right on my smart phone or even my ipod touch.