kenimes

How many mils in a mm? A mil is a fraction of a mm.

Several potential customers have asked if our cutters will cut 2-7mil vinyl because the specs say 1mm max thickness.

To clarify: 1mm = 39.3700787 mils

:angry:

In Australia we are metric.

However we used to use gallons, pints and similar measurements a very long time ago.

About half a century or more.

What amazes me was that your gallon was different to ours.

In fact i think that one of your gallons has over half a litre less than one of our old gallons.

So one US Gallon = 3.9 litres

One Imperial gallon  = 4.5 litres.

They even rob you on a bushell of wheat.

A US bussell is smaller than an Imperial bushell.

Now we are metric.

So here in Australia there are only

One thousand mils to an inch.

One mil is a one thousandth of an inch.

One inch is 25.4 millimeters.

So in Australian one mil = 0.0254 mm.

Or as Ken says

or 1 mm = 39.37 mils

Wow, no wonder the Mars lander crashed when it got all its measurements mixed up between Imperial, US, CGS metric, CGSA metric, MKS metric., MKSA metric and SI metric measurements.

Hope i have throughly confused you all, i am confused now as well

Jerry from SignBlazer.

I know it's an old post, but the reply today popped it up on my radar.

The way I remember it is a mil is 1/1000 of an inch and a mm is 1/1000 of a meter - I never remember how many inches in a meter, but I always remember that a meter is a little more than a yard.  So I can visualize that a mm is something more than 36 mils - and if I remember there are 39.3700787 inches in a meter I can see that there are 39.3700787 mils in a mm. 

mils is tiny ain't they?

-Mike

Makes sense! I haven't seen the term "mil" outside of vinyl so at times I have slipped up and described vinyl in the terms of mm. Whenever I thought to correct myself, I would always stop myself bc I wouldn't know how to explain the difference  :thumbsup:

Wow!  I just noticed your reply comes 1 year 1 month and 1 day after I posted - Spooky!

Thanks for bumping the old post

-Mike

In the metal trade they generally dont call it mills, they call it thou (short for thousandths of an inch) to help avoid some of the confusion between standard & metric.  A standard white piece of paper is about 2 thou (or 2 mills, or 0.002 of an inch), you can get yourself a cheap micrometer or vernier caliper and measure it quite easily.

Just to add to the confusion. lol!

In the metal trade they generally dont call it mills, they call it thou (short for thousandths of an inch) to help avoid some of the confusion between standard & metric.  A standard white piece of paper is about 2 thou (or 2 mills, or 0.002 of an inch), you can get yourself a cheap micrometer or vernier caliper and measure it quite easily.

Just to add to the confusion. lol!

I love it! The people in the U.S. have screwed up measurements big time. At least every hospital is on the metric system, otherwise we would be dead. As someone else said, look at the first Mars Rover. The decending speed was calculated in Meters Per Second, when it should have been feet per second. That little bastard went in for a landing at about 120mph! That was only about 20 million dollars wasted!