VolleyChick

In over my head with this

Hello, I'm trying to do basic text with my logo ball and I'm getting nowhere fast. I've gone to some of the tutorials on here but I just can't seem to find one that makes sense. Since all I want is text with the ball, can I do it in SB? Do I have to do it in CD4 first? If so, what format do I save it in? I'm sorry if these questions have been asked before, I just seem to have a block with this machine and process. I've had it for months and done nothing with it so any help/advice is appreciated.

Di

Are you trying to do anything fancy? name over the ball? or is it something simple like name next to the ball?

Just make sure the ball graphic is vectorized. If you don't have one, search the Graphic Request bulletin.

If the Name is touching the ball graphic, or if the type of text you are using - the letters touch each other, you'll probably want to weld it (Arrange > Weld).

Just import the ball, type your text, weld if necessary, and cut.

Totally simple, ball with the text next to it. I do have the ball vectorized thanks to someone on here...they did it for me months ago. I'll give it another shot and try the weld thing if needed. I think I need a personal trainer for this machine : p

Di

You shouldn't even need to weld. It may be in a different color. When you go into the cut menu, look in the leeft side of the screen. It will show all of the colors used in your design. Any one you want to cut should not have an X next to it.

So I'm reading the SB learning guide and am more confused than ever. All I want to do is cut vinyl with my business name and the logo ball next to it and this is going into designing and way more than I need for now. Are there any tutorials or instructions on just basic letters/shapes and cutting? Sorry to be so dense but I'm beyond frustrated with this...

Di

What format is your logo in? Can you post it here?

If it is an .eps file you should be able to use File + Import to add it to a SignBlazer file

Then just click the text icon to create the text you want to add.

Make sure everything is inside of the pink work area or it will not show up in the cut window.

If your logo and text are different colors and you want them both to cut at the same time you will need to select them both in the cut window prior to cutting (Hold the CTRL key down.)

Wow, thanks for the quick response. The logo ball is an ai file and I've been importing it and then adding the text, but I don't have a pink work area so I'm batting 1000 with this. Now I'm really going to show my stupidity, I'm cutting it out of one color vinyl so wouldn't I just leave it black as it shows up?

Under File + Workspace Setup there is a check box for "Show Border" Is your checked? If it is there should be a pink box the size of your workspace on your screen. Click on the icon on the top of the screen that says "Sign" or View + Zoom Workspace. Either should show the workspace box.

Blonde moment on that one, I do have a pink border around it. Should the workspace be the size I want to cut? Meaning the width of the vinyl by the length of the logo/text? Thank you so much for your help, I'm really in need!!

If I am making 4 x 6 decals I will make it that size. My design will usually be a little smaller than the border. Are you able to get it all to cut now?

Thank you so much for your patience with me on this - I'm really a mess. I can make the workspace the size I need, add the ball and the text but when I go to the cutter all I see is the ball, no text...wah.

While in Cutter look on the left side of the screen. There is a box there that shows all of the colors in your design. Just because both of the elements look black does not mean that SignBlazer sees them as the same color. You may have two different colors of black in the panel. One will have a red x through it. Hold CTRL down and select the other one to include it in with the cutting.

I had to take a break from this, will try that tomorrow & let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Hey Jay, while in the work space isn't it necessary to select the graphic and use the "cut mask" icon before selecting "cutter"?  Some times when I go to "cutter" I have to set the vinyl size for cutting in there also. For me it's easier to set the text up in Corel, and export to SBE.  Hope this helps.

You will need to vectorize the ball before it will show up for cutting. The ai file you imported is an Adobe Illustrator file. If you need help, post the ai file here and I'm sure it'll be vectorized before you know it.

Charlie

Thanks to all of you who responded and especially Jay who has a LOT of patience! With his help I did get it to cut, but I'm still working on the right pressure since it won't weed or peel or whatever. I really didn't think I'd ever get to that point so I am really grateful for all the help. I'll post some in action shots of the logo when I get back from California!

Di

Hi Di ,

Most of the members here started with little or no experience ( I'm in that group ) . It is just like anything new , very hard to grasp until it sinks in & then 1 wonders what was confusing . In the future , You will be giving adivice to others who have just started  ;D . Jay is VERY helpfull & has MUCH patience ... I'm voting for him as president in 2010  ;D  :)  . The search function is not easy to find stuff with on this forum . NIce helpfull members wil respond , grouchy , tired of giving advice members won't . 1 thing I have found out , the more I come to understand , the more I take in when re-reading Signblazer's manual .

Hey Jay, while in the work space isn't it necessary to select the graphic and use the "cut mask" icon before selecting "cutter"?  Some times when I go to "cutter" I have to set the vinyl size for cutting in there also. For me it's easier to set the text up in Corel, and export to SBE.  Hope this helps.

Cut mask is if you are contour cutting. It is not required just to cut vinyl.

You want to set the vinyl size in the setup menu within the cutter window.

I think text is easier in SignBlazer. Then if you want to edit it you can do so in SignBlazer without having to re-import it.

You will need to vectorize the ball before it will show up for cutting. The ai file you imported is an Adobe Illustrator file. If you need help, post the ai file here and I'm sure it'll be vectorized before you know it.

Charlie

.ai files are vector already. SignBlazer will import older .ai files with no problem. In my experience, newer ones will need to be exported as an .eps version 8 to import to SignBlazer.

Help...I tried cutting a new vinyl and it was too much pressure so I adjusted and now it won't cut. Seems like there is no communication between pc/cutter but everything is connected - any ideas? Thanks

Di

Have you tried unplugging cable and plugging them back in? Maybe check that the Baud setting on the cutter didn't get changed accidentally. Since you have cut before your settings should not have changed though. 

In order to change the pressure the machine had to be taken off line , try resetting your origin & place back on line. though turning it on and off effectively dose the same thing. If that dosen't fix the problem, then I agree the software has somehow lost it's settings, reset the computer & check the com settings again. Good luck.