Everybody and I do mean everybody has done something that they shouldn't have at least once. However I really wish they would crack down on copyright because of the shear volume of people with cutters doing almost exclusively copyright designs and stealing away customers from the rest of us who want to make a honest living. 

Jay

• Like 3

i dont see how they can sue you - you're not the one displaying it on your car

maybe we should all put a disclaimer on our work orders when logo work comes up that the customer has to sign

like   "I hereby authorize blah blah, I am responsible blah blah..."

That is because it is against civil law & any owner or rep of the owner can do that . Criminal law & the police arrest you . You can make up anything that makes you feel better .. lawyers call it " something to hang your hat on " .. but it does not exempt you from either law . No matter who agrees to what , if YOU break the law .. they talk to You , not them . You might have some recourse with whoever signed the agreement between you & them , but that has no effect between you & whoever sues you or charges you criminally . Fact , not friction :)

I avoid these problems simply by doing those types of things in cash and not keeping ANY record of the job on my computer. Just saying......

In quick books I have vinyl set as custom cut vinyl graphics. No where have I ever described what design a sticker is and if someone were to ask for a description to be included I would say that I can't edit my program. Sorry.

Jay

That would eliminate that part of exposure to civil action , but that part is only the definite proof . Selling or having anything copyrighted for sale is a big exposure IMO .

I've been trying to weed out the problem as best I can but it seem there are a few I haven't been able to do away with. See the post with my jeep and you'll see what I mean. However I don't stand on my soapbox and claim legality like some do, I takes my chances and suffer the consequences.

Jay

• Like 1

Would it be prudent to put a disclaimer on your invoice that states.....

This invoice is for time and material only.  Any infringement of copyright law will be the sole responsibility of the person who orders the product.  This company does not cut and sell copyrighted material at any time.

Hmmmm......maybe time to contact my lawyer and use some of that retainer money for some advice.

I just read this in 2013 and wondered how did it go what did your Lawyer say. The good old disclaimer seems to work for big business and pharmaceuticals LOL

You must have missed the several posts that said Laura has not ever responded to the results and what some of us thought was the probable reason for the lack of response . I even called her phone # that was listed in 1 of her posts ... got her answering machine and left a message that was never returned :) . I find this thread hilarious as John calls it " the thread that never dies " :)

The 1 true zombie thread. The not knowing what happened or if it was even for real just keeps it alive. It'll be around long after most of us are gone.

You must have missed the several posts that said Laura has not ever responded to the results and what some of us thought was the probable reason for the lack of response . I even called her phone # that was listed in 1 of her posts ... got her answering machine and left a message that was never returned :) . I find this thread hilarious as John calls it " the thread that never dies " :)

Yeah I just skipped ahead to catch up, never dies is putting it lightly LOL. Great ideas and discussions though, every new post I thought oh that makes sense, a disclaimer must be the answer , no wait a court will laugh at that hmmm what to do , what to do ? I guess in the end asking permission and hoping for the best is the only safe way to go.

If a customer comes to me and says "I need this banner printed" and they supply me with print ready artwork that has their company logo on it how do I know that this employee has proper consent to use the company logo? How do I know the company even owns the rights to their logo? It is such a fine line between right and wrong. 

• Like 1

I'd feel a lot safer with customer supplied than saying I went out and found the logo for them to use. Let's hope none of us ever have to answer that question in legal proceedings.

• Like 1

I got a letter from a lawyer. I meet this guy that wanted to replace his music files (I dj) well the guy was a person that edited music. The lawyer said I had sold promotional music to him. I laugh. I called Interscope records (Who) I Get Promo Music From and all the record lables That supply me fre Music video's and Music. I gave them the lawyer name and number and they contacted him saying He's one of our V.I.P. Celebrity DJ He has right to give out promo stuff. So The Lawyer said he had a editied video that was made by my client. They asked him to send the video and when they got it its was a Snoop Dog Video. Guess what they sue the guy company and had then close down. They were editing video's and music without the concent of the artist or Record Label. The lawyer called me and was like the guy said you had his material and it turns out they didnt get clearance to edit video's or sell video's that wasn't there's. That was funny the lawyer was like im not representing him.Buy Yeah anything related to Racing Do Not touch there logo's at all. Redbull, Monster, Alpinestar,Fox, Answer, etc. 

Is it copyright if you alter a logo or name? Like can I cut out a truck vector decal and have it say ford on the side? Could I make a Lebron James decal and have the word Nike on his shoes?

It is still copyright infringement if you alter the trademark/logo.    You cannot use Nike on anything without permission from the owner.    You cannot copy a picture of Lebron James and make decals either.   As soon as the picture of Lebron James was taken, it was copyrighted.

• Like 2

Not the actual picture. If i turn it into a black and white vector image and change somethings its still copyright? I dont see how they could prove what photo you used.

Do you have permission from Lebron James to use any of his photos?  To sell any likeness of him?  Of course you don't.  That answers the question right there..  You cannot sell any likeness of him without his permission. 

Any photo taken of Labron James is copyrighted by the person who took that photo.  There are copyright laws on photography as well.  Even altered photos.

Nobody can prove i used their photo. Far as they know i drew the vector image.

go ahead and let us know how that works for you . . . . . you don't have permission to use any image of lebron . . . but as they say pay your money take your chances - it is you not us.

And the photos i use are taken by fans and shared on the web.

What about movie and music stars? Are they as anal?

Yes,  you do not have permission.  That is what copyright laws are all about, Protecting, photographs,  protecting OTHER property that does not belong to YOU!!!,  Any image on the net is published by someone other than YOU.  So it is not your property to use.  Without permission.

Any photo on the net you can look at, but you do not have a license to reproduce that image in any way