Guest sciondrgn

Transfer Tape (Which Kind)

Guest sciondrgn

Hey Everyone, Got another quick question.

I ordered some a Roll of Transfer tape from Ebay, I dont remember the brand off hand but, it seems to work but I have a hard time keeping it to stay on the cut piece, I will lay it down and cut it out but it wants to peel off way to easy and pretty much by itself on the corners will roll up.

I was looking at the Sign Outlet store and saw the R-Tape At 60 Clear Transfer tape? Anyone have any recommendations on the R-tape or a better brand. I would like to get the clear instead of the masking tape color.

Thanks

I've used about every kind that there is. R tape included. Other than price,I can't tell a lot of difference. And I use anout 2 or 3 of the 100 yard rolls every week. So I use a lot of tape.

The clear tape is good for dry applications,you can't use it with a wet application. I keep a roll of clear here for decals that I send out for others to apply. Other than that,the paper tape is what I use. Your choice,though. You will soon find out the hard way which works and which doesn't,for various applications.

The tape is not supposed to stick to the backing paper. Just the vinyl.

Guest sciondrgn

I've used about every kind that there is. R tape included. Other than price,I can't tell a lot of difference. And I use anout 2 or 3 of the 100 yard rolls every week. So I use a lot of tape.

The clear tape is good for dry applications,you can't use it with a wet application. I keep a roll of clear here for decals that I send out for others to apply. Other than that,the paper tape is what I use. Your choice,though. You will soon find out the hard way which works and which doesn't,for various applications.

The tape is not supposed to stick to the backing paper. Just the vinyl.

Wow I didnt know that about the clear, I really like the clear but Think I will stay with the regular for now since I like to put on my decals wet for aligning things.

The roll I have was only a few bucks and its a 12"x100yard roll so cant complain, ive transfered a few stickers so far and it seems to work decently.

Thanks once again ;D

everything I know,I learned from trial and error. The first 6 months in the business,nobody would tell me a thing. Local sign guys acted like I was asking them for their first born when I asked for advice.

Then I found these forums,have learned a lot and am still learning.

When you get to where you are using a lot of tape,there are a few sellers on ebay who sell it by the 48" roll and will cut it to your specs.You will save a lot of money this way. Thats how I buy it. But be careful,one of them sells cheaper,but its only 150 feet rolls,not 300. I've been buying mine from the same company for a long time, just under $100 including shipping for 48 inches,cut.

There are those on here who will brag about how they do everything 'dry' but you are a LOT less likely to have problems,and bubbles,when doing wet. I tried a few dry,had one come back because of ONE bubble. Why take the chance? In short,do it the way it works best for you.

The guys who do it 'dry' are no better at it than anyone else. They just like to think they are.

Welcome to our forums!!

You can apply the vinyl to your substrate dry or wet. Dry sets quicker, but wet allows you to work out bubbles and adjust easier. I believe.......

;D

with dry,you better get it right the first time.

When I do wet,I usually remove the tape in about 1-2 minutes. When I do dry, I spend much more time than that popping bubbles.

if you are having the transfer tape peel up from the application tape, (peeling corners) you could try to round off the corners, that sort of helps... Also, try R-tapes Conform series... Works well sticking to the application tape...

I used R-tape conform and AT60 clear... Works well...

All sounds like good advise to me. I use either the R-tape or the Transfer Rite but, I RARELY wet apply. I agree the MAJOR difference seems to be price.

The R-Tape Comform Series (4075) seems to work good on all of the vinyl I cut, thats all I use. I have used it to transfer small letters and reflective vinyl with no problems. There are a few different types of adhesives on the applaction tape, High tack for smaller lettering and vinyl jobs and the low tack works better for the larger letters.

To stop Application Tape lifting & curling up, I cut the tape an inch wider than the vinyl backing paper, then cut the tape corners at 45degrees, and fold the tape over 1/2" on all edges.  This allows me to store cut vinyl for long periods or carry decals & signage to markets without any curling problems.

there are different types of app tape..low tac,medium,and high..I suspext that when people say that the tape isn't sticking to the vinyl,they have somehow gotten low tac.I use high tac on everything except coroplast..then I use medium.

"R-Tape Comform Series (4075) seems to work good on all of the vinyl I cut, thats all I use"

Dito

Larry C

Bannerjohn, you mentioned both app tape and transfer tape. I thought they were the same. Can you explain?Sandy