Bruce SignBlazer Support

How to check and set communication settings for USB com ports

The communication settings for the USB com ports need to match in both SignBlazer and in the device driver. Usually the installation defaults work for this. If you are have communication problems with your cutter then this may help.

1) Open the device manager.  Click "start" then "Run..." and type "devmgmt.msc"

start_dev_manager.gif

2) This will open the device manager.

dev_manager.gif

3) Double click on the port labelled "USB Serial Port". It's name maybe slightly different and the port number maybe different on your system.

4) Select the "Port settings" tab.

USB_port_settings.gif

5) The port setting should be similar to the above. A critical setting is the Flow control. On most systems this should be set to "Hardware" but if this doesn't work the try "Xon / Xoff"..

6) Important: The settings in SignBlazer need to be set the same as is set in the device manager.

7) Open SignBlazer and open the cutter screen.

cut_menu.gif

8.) Select "Setup" from the tool bar and then click "Comm Settings".

cut_setup.gif

9) Set the com settings to be the same as the settings for the device driver.

com_settings.gif

The setting for the flow control in windows was set to none and in Signblazer set to hardware. I have set them both to hardware and will let you know if that takes care of the problem.

As far as the grounding goes, are you talking about running a seperate ground line to the cutter?

Thanks for all the help...

Dale

What is the distinction between "direct" and "use cut manager" in the setup? I had a difficult time setting up a different computer to run SB after uninstalling from the previous computer. It didn't work when I chose "direct", and actually froze the computer on several occasions. Then tried "cut manager" and that refused to work. Finally went back to "direct" and somehow managed to get it to work. What's the significance of these options, and is one supposed to be chosen over the other? And on what basis is one chosen over the other?

We usually recommend the "direct" mode as this causes less problems.

The "cut manager" mode sends the cut data to a separate program that then sends the data to the cutter in the background. The "cut manager" mode doesn't always work with some of the Chinese made cutters or some USB connections.

if anyone is researching this topic, here is a pointer. i couldnt get mine to cut after getting a new computer. i found this thread and it helped, but should have said to check your baud rate on your cutter. mine wasnt 9600 as alot of pictures and books show. my baud rate was set at 19200. change sbe settings to 19200 and works.

hope this helps someone. took me 2 days to figure it out

joe

alborlin; does your cutter work ok with that higher baud rate setting? i am wondering if the baud rate adjustment could be the solution to the cutter losing the connection in the middle of a cut job. i have decided to call it " the waiting syndrome". mobby; maybe you have an answer for us?

bb

I keep getting an error saying it can't open the output device, error initializing cutter.

here is what a quick google search turned up. maybe this is what you are dealing with.

bb

"Title: Re: Can not open the output device. Error initializing cutter

Post by: laserman70 on January 13, 2008, 08:25:24 PM

Well fixed it this weekend.  The ribbon cable was not securely connected to the board.  The usb cable was bad as well.  But after all of that its up and running. thanks for the help to everyone on the forum here for the help."

I was about to make the software connect to my cutter, but now after i send stuff to get cut, the cuter kept on saying waiting and doesn't do nothing. Can some one help?

Well here I go.

I just received my new MH 1351 and followed all the instructions but still cant get it to connect to my computer. I get this "Can not open the output device. Error initializing cutter." I tried all the steps above and still cant get it to work. Can someone guide me the right direction so I can start using my vynil cutter.

I am choosing under cutter set up : Refine MH 1351

and output device :Summa USB (hopefully here is the problem)

Thanks,

Would like any information possible.

When I go into the Device Manager, I don't have any usb to serial ports listed.  I want to use a USB cable directly into my CoPam CP-2500 (it has a USB port) without a third party usb to serial adapter.  How do I install a driver for my USB ports?

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!! I am in the exact same boat! I have everything installed but I can't get anything to cut!!! When I clink on Cut Tile it freezes up and the only way to get out of it is to unplug USB and turn off Laserpoint. Then I plug in the USB and its fine but still won't cut. If I don't turn off Laserpoint  and plug in the USB it says it does not recognize USB.  ;D I have worked on it last night and all of today!! I am so frustrated!!! I just need to be able to do some cutting!!!

Open SignBlazer, then go to Cutter, then Setup, and let me know what you have for the top 2 selections?

Still absolutely NO communication between the cutter and the laptop. I have tried EVERY troubleshooting suggestion and yet nothing has worked... Pulling out my hair and screaming at it also seems ineffective!!!

Here are my 2 screen shots of my setups... any clues?

post-4987-12986536049381_thumb.jpg

post-4987-12986536050265_thumb.jpg

post-4987-12986536060476_thumb.jpg

post-4987-12986536061135_thumb.jpg

Still absolutely NO communication between the cutter and the laptop. I have tried EVERY troubleshooting suggestion and yet nothing has worked... Pulling out my hair and screaming at it also seems ineffective!!!

Here are my 2 screen shots of my setups... any clues?

looks right to me. looks like you are using a usb to serial adapter, should be no problems at all. I take it that your cutter is on line? you could try straight usb for a test.

Finally got it to communicate... It drew the first item brilliantly... the second item it would not draw at all on the paper (It seems to have divided the font into 900 tiles.) It just managed to mangle the paper.... I tried the first patten on vinyl and it wouldn't cut. At all. Like.. it gave me a small curve of the pattern and that was it....

Hi everyone,

I am in desperate need for help.  I just got my US cutter with signblaze elemenst 9.  I tried just typing a word and sending it to the cutter, I click cut, then cut tile...it traces my letters and says sending output to cutter, but my cutter just says "online", it never does anything.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tonya

I purchased a PCUT from uscutters about a year ago.  since i have run it off my home computer (windows XP)via usb connection not a problem.  I am trying to switch it to my laptop (windows XP) the same way.  Under my device manager my connection ports from the Pcut to the laptop are either usb com17 or usb com18.  Under output device in signblazer setup, it does not give me these ports as options and therefor I can't cut.  What am I doing wrong?:thumbsup:

hi , i had the problem like everyone else . I had vista with no serial plug on the computor . used usb blug dosnt work , now i had enough and got out my old xp and set it up and used the serial plug , well well well , it works , and very good ,now in the readings for the problems with vista , they should say that the usb plug dosnt work for vista use the serial plug , hmmmm, now what do you know who ever made this instruction booklet they were not thinking, that is where this site comes in thanks for the info  :thumbsup:

Would like any information possible.

When I go into the Device Manager, I don't have any usb to serial ports listed.  I want to use a USB cable directly into my CoPam CP-2500 (it has a USB port) without a third party usb to serial adapter.  How do I install a driver for my USB ports?

I just deployed an HP laptop running windows 7 and went here for the serial driver update. Worked perfectly!!!

http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/files//IO Cable/PL-2303/Drivers - Generic/Windows/allinone/PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1210.zip

unzip the file where ever you usually do and run it. :)

i am having the same problem as everyone else above, my cutter just says online when i send files to it, and will not cut. i am using windows 7 if that helps. the cutter i bought is the pcut ct630

Kyle