Fbomb

acrylic edge cap/frames

Ok, I just did a few acrylic signs for a job site (36x30). The buyer saw them and liked them, but requested something to cap the edges. To prevent a worker from cutting his hand and suing. Silly, we know, but he has had a few bad experiences with workmans comp and suing. The acrylic is .25" thick. I bought some vinyl tubing and acrylic sealant, then slit the tubing and adhered  it to the edge...It works but is pretty ghetto.

Anyone have any ideas for something better? Thanks.

Can you get any car door protective edging? sort of like a "U" section? or even a strip on vinyl?

Good thinking...I am just worried about the .25" thickness, but thats probably close to a doors thickness.

I think he means more to protect it from getting chipped edges from job site wear and tear and then someone eventually cutting themselves on it. Sort of a bumper.

Having trouble finding U channels at a good price...

check out CR LAWERNCE, they sell supplies for glass shops and and a lot of other stuff. Im sure yould have to have an account set up. I know they sell vinyl & rubber channel Usually used for windows & screens.Hope this helps! let us know.

Go to any Speed boat dealership, they have edging similar to what goes on the edge of a car door, but it is 1/4" think to cover the edge of the fiberglass around storage pockets, under the dash etc. Comes in Chrome, white, gold and wood grain i believe.

Kevin

This may be a little different than what you are wanting, but you can use the trim cap material they put on channel letters and it adds a real classy look to a sign.  The only catch is you would have to mount the sign with stand-offs, but it really adds some depth when you look at the sign.  It has been many years since I have done this, but I used to use this stuff when I was making retro neon on acyrlic.

http://www.signcraft.com/letrim66.pdf