routesmith

Ok what IS the secret to cutting small letters 1/2" x 1/2"

Is there a secret or can you just not do it, I am trying to do these window decals for a dance studio near me and the cutter just keeps on picking up my letters, its very frustrating!

thanks

WAyne

Well we don't have a laserpoint, but what we found with the Copam, is use good vinyl and slow the speed down as much as you can, to help reduce this issue.

Also what kind of vinyl and brand are you using?

I have ok vinyl, (not brand name, some really good ebay stuff) I have used it plenty of times just not for small stuff, I am using 60 speed though

Wayne

slow speed, 60-degree blade.  :thumbsup:

+1

Also... using a "block" style font will help. you can't use that fancy scrip stuff that small.

I have used small script on it "Apple Chancery" and it was fairly small type and it came out great, I think the speed like Jenny said is the key! Also good quality vinyl helps.  My 2 cents

Dazzel

okay, thanks, Ill try slowing it way down and trying it on my Orcal 631 i have, if thats the secret Ill start buying some of that.

thanks everyone!!!

Wayne

Make sure your blade is clean and rotates freely in the holder. I will spray mine with WD-40.

I really dont know what my problem is, this is frustrating.

I bought a nice new roll of 631 white

made sure the blade was free

slowed the cutter down to the breakneck speed of 10

still worthless cutting small 1/2" letters, I wonder if it would be better on my refine??

Wayne

Ok time to quit whining, I just yanked out the LP and put in my refine 721. Bear in mind that this my very first cut onthe refine and it obliterated the LP with teh small detail my decal is now customer worthy, not trashbin worthy.

I didnt even load a new driver I just unplugged the lp, plugged in the refine, switched com ports and cut.

Please someone prove me wrong that the refine is actually a better machine for cutting small stuff than the LP....anyone else have both?

WAyne

... well, i doubt this will help ya, but i have my pcut tucked away under my workspaceas a backup cutter, and my refine holds the front line on it's own. I also know another fella who actually sold his pcut to buy another refine.

Yeah, I hear that, If I didnt want to do contour cutting so bad (one day when it makes sense) I would sell it and buy another refine, the refine is a great machine..

Wayne

Oh, but you can contour cut with the refine... I've never done it, but FiveStar started a post on how to do it.

Very interesting, Ill have to check it out now that my LP is offline.

I did more small stuff this morning, the refine is a damn good machine.

thanks

Wayne

Well I have a bunch of blades Im not sure which one is in it now, but I think the issue is the holder

To cut small letters, you need to check these 3 things...

-Speed. I set mine to 4. Yep slow as it can go!

-Blade. Nice sharp 60 degree blade is required.

-Blade depth. This is important, you want to make sure it just cuts through the vinyl and not the backing paper. The tip of the blade holder needs to be riding on the vinyl itself, this helps hold the vinyl down while its being cut. I use a force of 80 while cutting small stuff.

So far I have had good luck. I cut small decals all the time.

This decal:

namedecalsmml8.jpg

Measures a whole 1 3/4" wide, 3/4" tall total! and it cut no problem. 2 layer even.

Wow, nice, what cutter do you have??? the bottom of the LP blade holder is flat and is usually my problem till I switched to my refine. It is so flat it usually grabs the letters...

Wayne

Wow, nice, what cutter do you have??? the bottom of the LP blade holder is flat and is usually my problem till I switched to my refine. It is so flat it usually grabs the letters...

Wayne

I use the cutter in my sig for all my vinyl work. Its flat on the bottom of mine as well. Just check to make sure there isn't any plastic flashing that is catching the vinyl. I used a finger nail file to smooth mine out.

If you want to see pics of small stuff, post a file, and i'll cut it out.

What cutter do you have?

I got a roland 960 & I've never got it to cut small lettering everyone wants pilot names under the cockpits on their rc's