All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. mfatty500

Stahls Cap Press

I don't like the auto open on my Stahls 16x20, when it pops up that's were you get the ghosting from, IMO, so I took it off.
  3. Today
  4. ShaneGreen

VM cut error shut down pop up

I started doing my design work in Inkscape, but when I updated to VM Pro I don't seem to have a reason to open Inkscape much any more. It should be noted that I'm not a very good designer and have the artistic skills of an arthritic orangutan. Someone who can actually draw might not find VM to have enough options. Once I get in image the way I like it I usually save an extra copy as an SVG just as a backup. I'm always leery of any proprietary format. I ended up with 10 years of cad drawings that couldn't be opened after a computer crash left me without CadKey97 and noting on the market that supported it anymore. So there's my paranoia, that, and the native vdoc aren't viewable as thumbnails in other programs. If you save your designs to another directory besides the location of the actual program files it shouldn't be a problem to uninstall. When you install it probably went to a directory like.... c://Program Files (x86) / FutureCorp / Vinylmaster / But when I save an image I use one of the "This PC" folders, like Documents/VinylCutter/ArtWork Just be sure to do an actual "uninstall" and don't delete it.
  5. Dakotagrafx

Heat foam for hat press

I am not sure what takes the sublimation ink off a platen - you can try the easy off or even some rubbing alcohol first - if hotronix the platen is probably covered in a coating anyways but this is how we learn, there has to be a couple of missteps in the process. we all do it and continue to make mistakes even years later. forgetting to mirror htv will be the one that returns for years
  6. TrackHawk707

Heat foam for hat press

funny you say that goose. I legit cut it to size so that it was easier to line up perfectly. lol welp your idea is a home run much rather do that then have markings. even if it takes a little longer to center. thank you on the compliments the foam hats are super comfortable and the prints are nice and bright! the pre-press your talking about I do but I never thought to try and move it and confine it after the small press. I feel like i need to get more platens this one leaves a big gap in the center so unfortunately i don't think it will work but I'm def going to try. & Dakota yes I think I saw something on paper but figured if teflon was no good to use don't cover it but now I'm little mad at myself for getting this on my platen. I have some ez off think it could work? I never had to use it before so not really sure how to tackle that.
  7. Dakotagrafx

Heat foam for hat press

always, always use butcher paper or similar protective paper over the project. You are correct that the ink in gas form attached to your platen and causing that red ghosting. cheap roll of butcher paper (uncoated) from sams, costco etc last a LONG time and saves your press
  8. Wildgoose

Heat foam for hat press

For the sublimation work I would make the print so that there was enough open area on each side and probably above the crown that the edges of the paper won't create a crease and the tape can be applied so it isn't even under the heat. Just a longer strip if that makes sense. It will waste a little sublimation paper but in that scenario that is what I would do. I never tried to sublimate a hat but other than the problem you are finding the sub job looks awesome. One thing I do on most of my hats is as soon as I put a pre-press to it for a few seconds I then lift the heat and work the hat to stretch it a little and make it conform to the platen a little better so it doesn't get the creases. I have never pressed on a foamy so they may not conform but most regular structured hats will.
  9. TrackHawk707

Heat foam for hat press

Hey guys so my hotronix hat press came in and I was extremely happy up until I pressed my first hat. It was a foam hat and I did exactly what I was reading. (This was for sublimation) I placed my print lined it up and threw heat tape on it with no Teflon (which another bad idea) I don’t know why they tell you not to use it but some ink got on my heat platen and you’ll see it on my white hat below. Craft paper should probably have been used. but anyway so now the press completes and it has markings from the heat tape and a box around the print from the paper. I figured I needed more of a firm base so I didn’t get bent out of shape I ordered Teflon pillows and still getting creases in the hats I tried different pressures but did stay around the area pressure you should be at when applying subs and or vinyl. If anyone has any feedback I’d appreciate the help. I will attach some photos and maybe just let me know what you think. The red hat creased in the middle and the gray and white foam hats I’m sure you’ll see the marks. (Gray hat done with no pillow) everything else had the pillow. I looked for a firm heat safe foam but can’t seem to find anything safe for heat up to 400 degrees. One hat came out perfect and I think cause it’s a different style hat.
  10. Oracal 651 is known to be a little problematic from time to time in this one regard. It seems to have a good hold on the carrier. The upside is that that hold is also what helps it weed good for a calendared vinyl. The best cure I have found is just before install run it over a sharp edged table app tape side down so that the sharp angle on the table or bench will help break the vinyl loose from the carrier. Then lay the vinyl face down on the app tape side and peel the backing up and away from the vinyl. I have best luck if I can get a slight roll action going on the carrier sheet and it will sort of snap or pop up off the vinyl. Not all rolls of 651 fight as bad as some others. 751 and 951 do not have this issue. I also like to use R-Tape 4076RLA. It is slightly higher tack than 4075.
  11. In my experience, if the cuts are too deep into the backing paper, the vinyl decals get 'stuck' (sorta fused onto the backing layer). However, you say this is not happening, so there's something else going on here.
  12. haumana, New cutting teflon strip new clean cut 60 deg. Blade with no cut marks on my vinyl backing. I can't say how old my vinyl is I just bought it and the transfer paper matter fact I now have tried 2 different kinds of transfer paper and they both dont pull up the vinyl. I have been squeegeeing the hell out of it with only some of it coming up. Any tips tricks would be greatly appreciated I'm at a lose on this and can't do anything with my vinyl. Thanks Jeff
  13. Thanks for the input. I looked in my manual, but admit that I need to read through it more. Mine did arrive with the rollers up, but I didn't know if that was more of a shipping thing.
  14. shancha

Drawing Pad-pen

Follow your style. If your art would be more efficiently built as vectors, you must use Illustrator. If it's better executed as pixels, you must use Photoshop. Use Photoshop for pixel manipulation, photo retouching, and digital painting. Imagine it as a canvas. You can draw and make all kinds of great images with it, including cartoons. You have a stylus and a drawing pad like XP-Pen Deco 02 Graphic Drawing Tablet , and you're all set. And there is a wide swath of art that works best if you use BOTH Photoshop and Illustrator, making components in one program and mixing them into the other. For example, it might turn out that your comic art is best started in Illustrator for the ease of shape and pen stroke manipulation when laying down the basic drawing, but finished in Photoshop for best control over shading, painting, effects, and other finishing.
  15. THANK YOU so much!!!
  16. I reached out to vinylmaster - hopefully they will be along shortly
  17. I pressed reset and origin before I cut. Do I need to do something else too?
  18. Could be the tape is old, could be the cutter cut the vinyl, but didn't really cut the adhesive under the vinyl, could be you didn't squeegee it good, etc. have you tried to peel the backing away (vs. peeling the tape up to release it)? you can also try squeegeeing the back of the paper too.
  19. Transfer Paper not lifting my vinyl Transfer paper is MT80P and the vinyl is Oracal 651 any ideas what tape will really work on this vinyl??? Thanks Jeff
  20. Wildgoose

Need Help to find correct Font on this Boat

Dakota is killin' it today.
  21. pawdell

Starting Out With Vinyl Cutting

Yeah, lessons are a good thing. I usually don't think that at the time, but they can benefit later at the oddest times.
  22. cardudenc

your correct on that. I believe I learned a lot of newbie lessons by starting with a cheap azz unforgiving cutter. def using a Graphtec over my SC model is like climbing out of a dae woo n to a Porsche. lol
  23. pawdell

Yeah - I would normally not start out with equipment this nice, but with the encouragement from here, I feel better to have gone this route. I am sure I will miss out on some good lessons, but, hey, I'm getting old. Or, at least, feeling old. The FC8600 was actually on my radar for a second. Network-able, I believe. I wondered about it and came across some used ones, but I already demolished the budget going to the 6000 and the 6000 is new.
  24. cardudenc

yep, def better than crack!! lol atleast it makes $$
  25. cardudenc

awesome!! way to start out. I started with the dae woo of cutters and moving my way up. I have another used ce 5000-60 coming. im hoping to mess around with a few used cutters working my way to the new 1 I want. which I thought was the ce 6000 now I wondering, someone had to bring up summa. so been reading up on them. and the fc8600 , im sure I will have my mind made up by the time the $$$ is made
  26. pawdell

Thanks! I feel an addiction coming on. (Good kind).
  27. Dakotagrafx

Welcome to the club
  1. Load more activity