toofastdave

Hello eveyone

I am working on getting a Copam CP-2500 on eBay right now but I read over a bunch of the threads and I am looking forward to working with my new machine when I get it.  I say "when" because even if I don't win one on eBay I'm gonna buy one.  I'm just stubborn like that.  I was looking at the Rolands and Summa but I can't really justify the price since I don't have a sign shop...I just want to play around right now.  ;D  Everything I have read says that these machines are the way to go...

Anyway, I have been in business for almost 5 years doing laser engraving / cutting, I currently own a Universal Laser Systems platform, a K2 CNC 3925G CNC Table Router, MaxNC T2 CNC Lathe and a few other machines that I have in my shop.  I am looking to expand into Window stickers (decals) just for something else to do so this is the perfect solution for me.  I was laser cutting them but the whites have an amber edge on anything that the laser touches so hopefully the cleaner look of a vinyl cutter will make me happy.  I can't live with the burnt vinyl... I just had a few questions though:

1.  What type of solution do you use for the "wet" application?  I didn't see anything about types of solutions or where to buy them.

2.  How do you make sure that your vinyl is going on straight when you are doing a job??  Laser level or Mark I eyeball??

3.  How long do the blades last?

I will be looking over some of the tutorials to see how you guys do it... I'm curious to see how the colors are applied on the larger graphics jobs... Also pricing schemes.. bla bla... I'm sure it's all of the same questions that us stupid newbs have when we start something new...  :)  Just wanted to say that I look forward to working with you guys. 

Cheers,

Dave

I've used store-bought application fluid,and it doesn't work any better than what I make myself. 1 quart water, 2 or 3 squirts Dawn dishwashing liquid,and about an ounce of alcohol. I d mostly wet,and I've done average 2-3 banners a day for a year,with no problems.

I use a straight edge and a china marher to draw a level line.

I replace my blade about every 2 months,or when it starts cutting rough. I have gone 3 months.Don't waste your money on expensive Roland brand blades. If you are paying more than $5 per blade,you are paying too much. I buy mine 12 at time,available from US cutter and elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

I've used store-bought application fluid,and it doesn't work any better than what I make myself. 1 quart water, 2 or 3 squirts Dawn dishwashing liquid,and about an ounce of alcohol. I d mostly wet,and I've done average 2-3 banners a day for a year,with no problems.

I use a straight edge and a china marher to draw a level line.

I replace my blade about every 2 months,or when it starts cutting rough. I have gone 3 months.Don't waste your money on expensive Roland brand blades. If you are paying more than $5 per blade,you are paying too much. I buy mine 12 at time,available from US cutter and elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

Wow, thanks!  That's all the information I needed right in one place!  I appreciate your time, help and advice on everything.  ;D  Wish I would have gotten a notification email telling me you replied to this... BUT I forgot to click the notiy button... he he 

Thanks again!  Looking forward to getting my machine.