Sign in to follow this  
snlsd

Tracking Problem

Ok, this is driving me nuts.  I run the vinyl back and forth 3 or 4 times beyond the length that I'm planning to cut.  Vinyl doesn't drift at all.  If it drifts it is no more than a millimeter over really long runs.

As soon as I start cutting it drifts all over the place.  Usually 1/2 - 3/4 inch over 5-6 feet.  Sometimes to the right and sometimes to the left.  Can the drag of the blade really make this much difference?  Cutting at 120 pressure and 50-60 on the speed.

I have the same problem on long cuts, over 4 ft or so. Anything shorter never gives me any problems. My pcut is 24 in . Im wondering if a third pinch roller would help.

What blade do you have?

What pressure and speed do you normally run?

I have a 24" and I'm using the stock 45 degree blades that came with it.

Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but I'm doing a multi colored window and the white outline doesn't line up.  In fact the outline has different thickness because of the drift, where the outline is supposed to be the same around all of the letters.

Using the stock blades too. I have my pressure at 92 for Oracal  products. Off set at .25  and  use speeds between 40 and 70. Havent had much luck with Avery or Arlon, seems too flimsy. So Im just sticking with Oracal. I did a 6 ft x 20 in logo in 2 colors & had to go back with a straight edge and correct the cut from drift with an exacto before I weeded them. It was on my bosses van so I wasnt be ing looked at as close as if I was charging real $$$ for it . It turned out pretty good but I wouldnt have been as happy if I charged full price. The outline thing Ive only tried a couple of times. It was easiest for me to do the outline at a setting of about 20%, that way the outline was prettymuch solid and I could just layer it instead of trying to put 1 inside of the other.

Man this is irritating.  I just cut 60 inch long with two lines of text.  It tracked perfectly, maybe moved an 1/8 which I can live with.  As soon as it cut the rectangle around the letters, the tracking went off by almost an inch and cut through my design.  I guess I'll have to turn off the weeding and cut around it myself until I can figure this out.

SOLUTION!!!

Lowered the pressure to 100.  Slowed the speed down to 30.  Replaced the blade.  Nearly perfect for a 44" run.

I'm cutting 7" high stripes for a van and they need to be exact or at least +/- 1/8". 

Guest sciondrgn

On larger runs, I've learned to cut off the weeding box. It's just less hassle because it does tend to drift after some time,

I run mine at 80 pressure / 40-50 speed / .25 offset / 60 degree blades

I dont have a uscutter but i have the same problem just yesterday cutting a 140" Long x 9" high auto decals damn thing went off about 1/2 inch. Just pisses me off wish I could afford a Roland they guarantee the tracking length. So no help but I am going to try to slow it down and see if that helps so thanks for the ideas.