snlsd

Vinyl Installation Instructions

Does anyone have a simple vinyl installation instruction page that they would like to share.  I know I can refer customers to You Tube for videos, but I wanted to print something that I could include in the box for customers to use when they apply RTA graphics.

That's a start.  I'm working on something that I'll post later. 

I haven't applied vinyl yet, I thought your instructions were very clear. But I do have a question, on you tube they show hinging in the middle and working from the center out. You work from the top down. Is there an advantage/disadvantage to either technique? I ask because when/if the guy tells me it is a go, I'll have a fairly large storefront graphic to apply with lettering. Is it easier if you have a second person to help with the installation (holding design off the window)?

For larger graphics, it may require more hands, and you could also use the wet application method to make sure you get it spot on.

Middle or top hinging is personal preference.

Since I'm mostly sending this to customers that have probably never installed vinyl before, I picked the top hinge.  I agree with Ken on this one.  You could probably go either top down or work from the center hinge. 

Ok thanks guys, wasn't sure if there were pros/cons to one method over the over; such as air bubbles,wrinkles, etc. I liked how they worked one section at a time.

cybe....willing to share that as a word document so I can edit for my own use?

Here is a free PDF EDitor:

http://www.pdfescape.com/

download the pdf,go there,upload and edit. You can download the finished pdf or they will email it to you,or both.

Thanks John it works great,,

I've been reading and taking advantage of your wealth of great information.  The wife is opening a consignment shop and guess who just got hired as the sign guy?  You guys got me covered on the install, but there are so many different types of vinyl product out there and I'm a bit lost.  I'm installing on two different surfaces and wonder what you all think about the type of Vinyl product I should use. (Avery, Oracle, A4, A6 ;D).  I'm installing on glass and the tricky one, the skirt of a vinyl awning.  Any recommendations on the type and mil. I should use on these?

Any insight on dealing with the flimsy awning would be great as well.

Thanks for sharing the info it has answered alot of questions.

Joe

Depending on the material of the awning, you may not be able to use regular sign vinyl.  If it's a fabric-type material, sign vinyl isn't going to stick for very long.  You could heat-press Thermoflex or something similar on there, however, you'd have to take it down and re-install.

As far as glass, vehicles, etc, Oracal 651 is the go-to vinyl for many people.  I've never had a reason to try anything else.  Oracal 751 for long-term outdoor use, if the customer is willing to pay extra.

Oracle 651 it will be for the glass.  The awning is not fabric, but a commercial vinyl material.  A few other shops had a sign co. install some letters put up on the awning and it looks good, but not sure if they are using a type of sign vinyl that is design for this type of application.  Do you think the Oracle would work for this?  Thanks for the advice. 

I put Oracal 651 on my Jeep wheel cover 2 summers ago & it is still perfect . I can easily  peel it up when it is blazing hot , but the part I tested  by pulling it off reglued itself & that was a year ago . Making a stencil & painting it might be best , but i think vinyl will do a good job . I would warn about not holding as well & possibly need replacing quicker especially if in an area that people can touch the decal .

Guest round2racing

download the pdf,go there,upload and edit. You can download the finished pdf or they will email it to you,or both.

Wow John, that is a great editor.  I love it!!!

Wow John, that is a great editor.  I love it!!!

+1

Here is one I email to people that purchase from me off Ebay.  You are welcome to it.  ;D

Thanks appreciate it

BIgT , Thank You  ;D