freebird1963

car vinyl info

Hello

Never dealt with car vinyl in any manner. Never even bought any premade for my jeep.

Any way was asked about making a friend a mazda logo for her back window. She was saying in Pink.

I have no idea on the types of vehicle vinyl there are and what I should be looking for to do this.

So what types of vinyl are there ?

What should I look for in car vinyl ?

Were is a good place to purchase it ?

Whats needed to apply it ?

Thanks for the info and education

Mark

since nobody else has answered,I'll tell you what little I know,since my forte is mostly banners.

I just use regular vinyl on car windows, some I dod for myself a year ago look as good today as they did when I put them on. I usually use 3 or 6 year calendared vinyl.

calandered can work for car vinyl... Works best on flat surfaces... However, if you need it to conform to rounded surfaces. IE front fenders on a PT Crusier or a helmet... Use CAST vinyl...

Calandered = made from a solid, therefore doesnt conform well on curved surfaces...  and, will last for years, but safely, at least a couple of years without cracking, fading, shrinking, etc... May last longer, depending on the quality of the vinyl... If you are selling it, I would say, one to Three years...

Cast = made from a liquid, therefore conforms best (stretchy) to curved surfaces... Lasts longer then Calandered... Selling it... I would say 3-5 years as a safe number

As always, make sure your substrate is clean before applying graphics, especially if they want a guarantee......

The way i do it, I install it, Ill warranty it, if i dont, then its impossible to determine if the surface was clean correctly or application fluid used was correct... no guarantee on sales not instaled... Therefore, upping the installation fee to cover and potential warranty issues is a good measure.

I use a good quality calendered vinyl on vehicles, but general rule of thumb is...If it rolls, flies or floats, use cast.

Ross