Sign in to follow this  
The Tenor Man

I'm trying to cut small letters?

Hello all,

I'm trying to cut some 1/2" high letters and I having a bit of a problem.

I've set the offset in SignBlazer to .003 and the pressure on the cutter to 120...

The problem is that it seems to be "chewing" the letters and causing them to lift off the backing paper.  I think I'm using the 45 degree blade.  I put a bit of oil on the shaft of the blade and cleaned it with some solvent...

It's cutting through only the vinyl and not the backing paper....

Any thoughts...

Thanks,

The Tenor Man

have you tried a new blade & slowest speed ?

maybe it's the force. Generally, when i stick in a new blade i adjust the force to almost the lightest.  Also, the blade may be sticking out to far. You should barely feel it with your finger. Also.... it should spin freely in the holder, there may be some vinyl debris in the head. Hope this helps. I just gave my plotter a good cleaning the other day. Alcohol wipes, tooth brush, duster spray, and pulley tightening... my machine is 12 years old and works like new. Hopefully you look in your owners manual and do what is needed to maintain the machine if you haven't yet.

:)

Thanks for the Speedy Replies...

I've checked the manual and I don't think that I had the blade offset set correctly...

Acording to the Manual, it says the blade offset should be set to .25 to .35 mm.  I read somewhere in this forum that the blade offset should be set to .025mm.  I'll try the .25mm offset and see what happens. (I was having fairly good cutting until I read the .025mm setting...silly me!)  I also noticed with the offset at .025mm, the letters are rounded...I will also slow the cutting speed to the lowest (I believe it is 10 on the PCut 630.)

I've only had the machine for a couple of months and have already done some signage and truck lettering, which seem to turn out pretty well.

Thanks,

The Tenor Man

Font style has alot to do with it . Some fonts are VERY hard to get to cut small , but possible if all the settings are correct & a sharp blade .