Sign in to follow this  
PennJersey

24" laser point keeps freezing

I've had my laserpoint for about a week and used it with no problems.  Now that I actually have gotten some business it keeps crashing in the middle of cutting.  I'm using Sign Blazer on a Windows machine.

Henry

USB or Serial cable? Have you tried the one you are not using currently? Is the carriage pressing either of the red "kill" buttons when it freezes?

give us a bit more info.

pc or mac? os? cutting software? could you post what you're cutting?

USB or Serial cable? Have you tried the one you are not using currently? Is the carriage pressing either of the red "kill" buttons when it freezes?

USB Cable, I don't have the port for a serial on my computer.  It isn't pressing either of the the red buttons.

give us a bit more info.

pc or mac? os? cutting software? could you post what you're cutting?

I am using sign blazer on a windows machine. OS is XP. 

Trying to cut everything but the yellow arrow.

Thanks for any help!

Henry

Sorry, I missed the part in your original post about using SBE on a Win machine.

Okay .... double check the driver that you're using in the cut screen setup. Often times, my SBE will change either which cutter, or which port. If you're using the LaserPoint driver, you can try the PCut CT630 (that was the original driver to be used prior to one being coded specifically for the LP), and it's still the driver that I use (if it ain't broke...).

Is your machine connected directly to your computer? The cutter doesn't do very well thru a hub, or any other device - it's best to connect direct, preferably without any extensions either.

I'm not sure what "everything but the yellow arrow" is, but if you get the file posted we can take a look at it. To attach, just click on "Additional Options..." at the bottom of the reply screen.

Another thing you might try is a keyspan (Serial to USB) adapter. You can find them at your local computer or electronics store (Radio Shack, etc.) or you can buy them dirt cheap from eBay.

There are many here that got rid of all their issues with some of the cutters by simply using the keyspan.

Keep us updated and good luck.  :lol:

Sorry, I missed the part in your original post about using SBE on a Win machine. Okay .... double check the driver that you're using in the cut screen setup. Often times, my SBE will change either which cutter, or which port. If you're using the LaserPoint driver, you can try the PCut CT630 (that was the original driver to be used prior to one being coded specifically for the LP), and it's still the driver that I use (if it ain't broke...). Is your machine connected directly to your computer? The cutter doesn't do very well thru a hub, or any other device - it's best to connect direct, preferably without any extensions either. I'm not sure what "everything but the yellow arrow" is, but if you get the file posted we can take a look at it. To attach, just click on "Additional Options..." at the bottom of the reply screen. Another thing you might try is a keyspan (Serial to USB) adapter. You can find them at your local computer or electronics store (Radio Shack, etc.) or you can buy them dirt cheap from eBay. There are many here that got rid of all their issues with some of the cutters by simply using the keyspan. Keep us updated and good luck.  :lol:

I tried to upload picture before...I dunno what happened. I tried printing just a simple line of text and it still would crash.  I am connected straight to my computer and the settings for the driver are correct. I am going to try the PCUT solution today with a different USB cable and a keyspan and see what happens. I don't get why it would just stop working correctly. The part that makes me mad is that it starts cutting and then stops in the middle so it wasting my vinyl also.

Henry

I had the same problem with my LP, and many others. It always turned out to be user-error. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling SBE several times, and downloading the updates.

Here's a link to a .zip file of what Bruce/Sign Blazer told me to install. After that life was good.

As far as adding attachments to your replies, keep in mind that there are specific suffixes that are allowed for the attachments and a file size limitation. Usually if you zip it should be okay. If your graphic is larger than the file limitation, then there's a good chance that your file itself is too larger and causing the LP to choke on the file size. You would need to resize the actual .eps file, then re-import it to SBE and scale it from there.

Keep us posted!

Any luck Henry??

Let us know, if you get stuck, it seems like you are in my area, I can shoot over with my cutter or vice versa to make sure the cutter is working properly.

Wayne

I am having freezing issues too, the LP24 just stops cutting before the specified number is reached. I am using USB (gonna get a keyspan soon), SignCut Prod Pro.

Maybe my file-size or EPS is overwhelming the buffer? Would be nice to be able to expand the memory on these puppies.

Guest round2racing

I only cut one graphic at a time.

If the order is for three decals, I cut them one at a time and it doesn't freeze up on me.

When you say it freezes up do you still have anything showing on the LCD display?  Mine kept stopping in the middle of the cut, but then looked like it was wanting to reset.  I had to replace the power supply and I have not had any issues since.  Mine was also practically brand new! :thumbsup:

Another thing to check is the original file size (prior to import). There are times if the original source file is too big, it will choke on the cutter and stops in its tracks. It couldn't hurt to open the file in Corel or AI, scale it down, resize it, and size to fit after it's imported into cutting software.

On my LP24 I can still choke it up with too much info at a time. But there are several things you can do to help it along.

First is get off the USB, get a Serial to USB cable your life will be much easier.

Second is Clean up your graphics. Premade graphics that you down load here, and one you vector yourself are notorious for having WAY to many nodes. Remove half those nodes and you will probably have a cuttable file.

Third, watch your speeds, first inclination for everyone is to slow down the cutter, This only makes the issue worse. If your machine is running out of buffer space in it's memory causing the crash, by slowing down the computer you just made it crash that much faster. I have had files that crashed, I sped up the cutter, and it finished correctly. We all slow them down to detail stuff and forget to open them back up when we do the bigger stuff.

4th (what MAC said) Cut ONE image at a time, reallign your center and recut again to get 2. These are not production machines. they are hobby machines. I have found very few graphics that I can get away with cutting more than say 4 at a time, and that is very small, plain Jane decals. They will do those big production runs of say 500, but only 1 or 2 at a time.

5th get software that can adjust the packet size being sent to the machine. I do knw that Flexi does a much better job sending files to the LP than Sign Blazer, But it costs a LOT more. I am assuming Flexi Starter uses the same production manager but i could be wrong.

6th do what I am doing---- Order a Graphtec after you make enough money from the LP. It will not take that long and it will be money well spent. Since I couldn't talk Fivestar out of his CE5000, I will have to bite the bullet and get myself a brand new one  :thumbsup:

Good luck

Kevin

I break my bigger jobs in application tape manageable sizes. In other words, whenever possible, the 'jobs' I send to the cutter don't exceed 36", as I have difficulties during the application tape process for pieces that are longer than that. I wish I had one of those cool app tape setups, but I don't do enough vinyl to buy or make one ... yet  :thumbsup:

I break my bigger jobs in application tape manageable sizes. In other words, whenever possible, the 'jobs' I send to the cutter don't exceed 36", as I have difficulties during the application tape process for pieces that are longer than that. I wish I had one of those cool app tape setups, but I don't do enough vinyl to buy or make one ... yet  :thumbsup:

+1

And on bigger jobs I lay the app tape face up and apply the vinyl to it , instead of the other way around

I break my bigger jobs in application tape manageable sizes. In other words, whenever possible, the 'jobs' I send to the cutter don't exceed 36", as I have difficulties during the application tape process for pieces that are longer than that. I wish I had one of those cool app tape setups, but I don't do enough vinyl to buy or make one ... yet  ;D

+1

And on bigger jobs I lay the app tape face up and apply the vinyl to it , instead of the other way around

I do that as well, but still end up messing it up... but I'm getting better at it  :thumbsup: