Sign in to follow this  
LEE2008

JAPANESE LETTERING ???

HI

ive been asked to do some graphics using japasene writing,

does anyone know where i can get these from , is there a website they can be downloaded from

im using artcut to draw and cut from

many thanks

not as easy as it sounds. They don't have a standard alphabet like we do and literal translations can sometimes come out bad. I suggest you tell the customer to provide you with the lettering. I have done Chinese this way more than once and they were happy to do so.

good suggestion. i tried a quick google search, and learned more than i wanted to know in just a couple of minutes.

bb

I just ran into a similar situation and this is what I did. Anybody have a better suggestion please bring it up.  I was asked to create two phrases in Japanese: "Kings of my heart" and "Queen of my heart".

I went to google translate and got the the translation from English to Japanese.

Did a copypaste from the WEB site into a blank word docume. Word claimed that the font was "MS Mincho"....

So I went to "SignBlazer" picked "MS Mincho"...Crap! they came up as normal English characters....

So I copy/pasted the two phrases from Word into paint and saved as a JPEG. Make sure that you crop to the size of the Phrase or you land up with a pic of the whole page which is mostly blank.

Imported into Inkscape and Vectorized it. Imported into SignBlazer and Bingo!! I have not cut it yet but it looks decent.

The reason I came her in the first place was to find out if there was a more gracefull way to do this, but found the question so there you have it.

It is entirely possible that you may be able to copy paste directly into paint, I have not tried it yet.

This I would think would work with other software packages.

Have a good one

Tony

I would always suggest getting a second opinion when doing things in any type of foreign language. Japanese has several different types of "lettering" and it's usually good to know which type your client is looking for - hiragana, katakana or kanji. Most people are looking for the kanji style, but not everything in the Japanese language can be expressed in kanji.