wilsedoggy

Best way to make t-shirts

my friend and I sort of stumbled upon this the other day. we were cutting stickers for our snowboard company when we had the crazy idea to stick one of our stickers to a blank shirt, peel away the transfer tape and iron it into permanancy onto the shirt. sometimes it worked, sometimes it didnt. is there a proper (and surefire) way to put and/or melt vinyl onto a shirt? what iron settings would be best? we were using the removed backing paper as protection between the vinyl and hot iron, but we also considered using wax paper, but we didnt have any. would this work more efectively? any and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys

You need to purchase heat press vinyl, which is specifically made for shirts (i.e. Thermoflex Plus, Siser Easyweed, etc.).  Using a heat press is the best way to apply it.

ok buy a heat press, well i am still hurting from purchasing my vinyl cutter, so I dont know if I can drop another few hundred dollars on a heat press right now. kindof why i was asking about using an iron for the time being. does anyone know if using an iron will work generally similiar to a heat press? what settings should it be set to and so on...thanks

yeah use the iron on medium high, i would use a pillow case or some kind of sheet, a towel is too thick, as a buffer , should be great.

A regular iron won't give you consistant results. You have to be able to set the temp at say 365 degrees for 6 sec and have even consistant heat for that timeframe. Some heatpresses are better than others in maintaining an even heat across the platen. People have tried an iron, but I would never do a whole order that way. Best to save up for the heatpress, you'll love it and have less problems to deal with.

someone posted a way of using a piece of aluminum and the oven for like 40 bucks do a search I don't remember what the title was but i thought it was pretty cheap way of doing it.