Sign in to follow this  
Viper5243

Pricing just the cut

I have a guy i do some business with and he has his vinyl sent out to get cut because he doesn't have a machine. I offered a trade up of i would cut his vinyl for him and i would get free transfers (not vinyl related). What would be a price to charge (if i wasn't trading) just for cutting. He supplies the vinyl, and the images. I wouldn't weed or do anything besides enter everything into SBE and cut.

That would be just a labor cost - what do you charge for labor?

How much is your time worth?

Those are questions only you can answer.

Unless you know them VERY well, I would be caucious of using someone elses vinyl.  What is the cost to you if  10' of his vinyl gets messed up in your shop?  Doesn't matter why (old, or machine fluke, or misspelled, or.....).  I used to engrave and the 1st time I messed up engraving someone elses spoon, I had to replace it retail.  Lesson learned. 

my 2c

Regis

Regis makes a very good point.  I too, engrave and sandblast and only use my own items/materials.  I have had many people ask me to etch on their own champagne glasses, etc. and I won't touch it!  I feel the same would go for vinyl.

I know him pretty well. Been using him for transfers (hes an FFL) for about 3 years. It wouldn't be anything complex. Cutting out alot of digital camo patterns basically (he uses them as stencils/templates for applying custom finishes to firearms.

I do not see anything wrong with running someone elses vinyl in a plotter. It is no different then running vinyl that a customer is paying for ! All of you that are engraving need to realize that you materials are alot more expensive and some being priceless to a customer vs. vinyl under 95 cents an inch.

I would charge my normal labor rates plus machine use nothing more nothing less. If you have to perform the set up then those charges would apply as well. If you would be worried about vinyl waste due to an error of any sort then I would work an agreement out with the person so you are not at fault nor able to be collected on it things go wrong with the vinyl.