duke

zip files

hi all, i cannot open zip files. i save and then hit extract all files, follow wizard instructions, and all i get is a file pic which will not open. do i need special software? i have inkscape and signblazer.

so many graphics get offered free by helpful members, and i can't get them :'( :'(

hope someone can help me.

regards duke

there are a few free zip tools out there 'Just Zip It', "Zip Genius' are a few that spring to mind. It could be that the built-in unzipping tool in Windows is corrupted.

is it the file that was zipped that is corrupt, or your decompressing software?

is it the file that was zipped that is corrupt, or your decompressing software?

[/quote

i can't open any zip file.

J.B. i tried those freebies and still can't open files :'(]

If you can, attach the zip file in your next reply and I'll change it to a self-extracting executable zip for you.

If you can, attach the zip file in your next reply and I'll change it to a self-extracting executable zip for you.

hmmmm, dummy here, how do i do that :thumbsup:?

it happens with all zip files.

hmmmm, dummy here, how do i do that ?:thumbsup:

it happens with all zip files.

attach it like you would a photo using the buttons when you reply.

or you can give us the link where you are downloading those .zip files and we can try to extract them. you would be surprised how many times its the actual zip is just corrupt before you even download it.

also something else you can try is to do a chkdsk on your hard drive. sometimes your hard drive can get corrupt and everything you download such as .zip files will also be corrupt when you download them. you can do this by just right clicking your hard drive (C:) and goto tools then check for errors. it will more then likely have to restart for the chkdsk to take place..

there are many free zip programs.. you can always download winzip and install it..  just use the free version it will tell you it has 30 days however it last a lifetime..

thanks gm2k8,i do regular disc checks, defrag etc;

when members post graphics for all to use, and they are zip files, i can never get them to open. all i get is the file icon type thingo :'(.

i will try winzip as you suggested and see how that works.

regards  duke

THis just gets better and better...

so what kind of files are these? .eps? You can't just click on an .eps file...you need to open it in SB or some program that reads .eps.

You aren't using a MAC are you?

i use windows xp. they are zip files. i can open eps files in sign blazer.

regards duke

I don't know what the problem is then...until you can post one of the files or a screen cap of what you get whjen you try and open.

i just downloaded winzip, and when i click on a zip file i get winzip window and i cannot open zip file no matter what i do in winzip :'(

i am about to smash computer :thumbsup:

How about right clicking on the file and selecting "extract here". It will leave the files in whatever file you downloaded them to.

thanks knobhill, tried the free trial and it wouldn't open a zip file either. how do i find out if window extractor is corrupt, or if os? is hosed.

regards duke

when you extract the files make sure you remember where they are extracted to...downloads is where mine go

when you open signblazer...import...downloads....then just look for the file that you need..........I cant explain it as well as I could show you.you may have to open a subfolder

ok...when you find the file you want to unzip..right click on it....then click on OPEN WITH....and if you have an unzipping program, it should be there to click on

If that doesn't work, I have no idea what the problem could be. A third-party app should work even if all else fails and in all of my years working Tech Support on comps,I have never seen this problem.

ok...when you find the file you want to unzip..right click on it....then click on OPEN WITH....and if you have an unzipping program, it should be there to click on

when i right click on it ,it says open ,not open with.

when i use the windows prog to unzip i get those icon thingo's  ;D  ;D