Sign in to follow this  
crazyone

Cutting Small Text?

Hey All,

I know marcel has posted that he didnt have any issues doing it, but my question is my cuts look like its actually doing more tearing than cutting.  I've cleaned the blades, and replaced it as well, and tried it on all sorts of speeds.  The only thing I have left is maybe the vinyl itself is just junk?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Brandon

I have cut as small as 3/16 th's with no problem other than trying to see the small centers when I weed it out.It could be possible that it is the vinyl.The company I buy from locally has had to replace quite a few rolls of fdc black vinyl that their customers ordered because the rolls had mottling in them.But I have had no problems with the small letters or designs as far as the cutter goes.

Well looking more at it tonight, it looks like where the cutter start and stop point while cutting the letter is leaving no overlap on the cut, so you get spots on every letter than is somewhat still attached.  I've look in flexi for awhile tonight just tinkering with differance things, but I can't find anywhere that lets me add some additional overlap on the letters.

Last question, does it hurt to maybe 'lube' the vinyl so it gets a smoother cut?

Sorry for being a pest, I just like nifty intricate cuts =)

Brandon

If you check -auto weld and auto trap - in the advanced tab of the program manager,it should help on closing the lettering.Although I use the point editor from the design menu and manually close the lettering.It just cuts down on the program missing sending the close commands to the cutter.On the other question.I clean the vinyl to cut down on the dust,but I've never heard of lubing the vinyl.I would think that anything like that would make the knife jump or skip  if it hits a slick film on the vinyl.

I'll give that a shot!    This thing is friggin addicting!  I probably wasted $20 vinyl tonight just screwing around! =) 

Thanks again for your help!  I am so happy you hang around here!

Brandon

I stay up until four in the morning 7 days a week running R2.I use all of the excess from the rolls I buy to do the jobs instead of saving it for the next job.You're right,it's very addicting.We'll probably have to start a cutterholics anonymous with a 12 step motor program.

I stay up until four in the morning 7 days a week running R2.I use all of the excess from the rolls I buy to do the jobs instead of saving it for the next job.You're right,it's very addicting.We'll probably have to start a cutterholics anonymous with a 12 step motor program.

LMAO,  My problem is if I have a problem I just can't sleep till its resolved =) 

Just checked those two boxes, it helped, but I am still getting a burr where the pen starts and stops on a letter.  Any other ideas?  BTW it acutally has less 'burr' when I use Artcut which tells me its the software not telling it to finish the cut. 

Thanks again!

Brandon

Another reason to use the point editor.When I pull a point and close a letter or a circle,I know the cutter is going to cut without spacing.

Cool, I'll give that a shot...now all i need to do is find the point editor =)..

Thanks again!  This is like learning photoshop again! =)

b

Oh it's much worse than that!If you do use the point editor,try not to overlap too much because it will actually put a negative area in the space on some lettering and edges.And be sure to blow it up as big as you can on the screen.It looks good and closed up when you are looking at a 6 foot design scaled down to fit a 19 inch screen.But when you blow it up you get a better view of what the cutter is actually going to cut.

Hey Billy,

What version of Flexi are you running?  I can't seem to find the point editor you spoke of.  I am sure its just something stupid I am doing and can't find it.

Thanks again!

Brandon

All this talk of having problems cutting small text and the question of "what type of vinyl are you using?" hasn't come up.

So, what kind of vinyl are you using (producer, mil)

I can cut small letter with the WinPCSIGN the blade orientation.

We see a big difference with ArtCut