Sign in to follow this  
pitts-s1s-pilot

Could this be causing YOUR tracking problems?

Group,

So I put a 50 yd roll of vinyl onto my copam rollers and kind of mindlessly gave it a spin, to watch how nicely the bearings let it roll.  :)

I noticed that with every revolution it very slowly moves the roll of vinyl to the left!!!!!!  :D  On longer cuts or repeated panels this would surely slowly work left and apply pressure to the vinyl feeding into the machine.  ;D

Could this be causing some peoples tracking problems on longer cuts or multiple panels?  :o  Thoughts?  ;)

Pitts

& make sure both rollers are in the same slots . I keep both my rollers on the inside slots ... ( I have a bracket that slides over the brace & can be slid from side t side , I measured & marked center )

My rollers are both on the inside slots.  I have the brackets that slide over the crossbar too.  It moves 1/16" of an inch with every full rotation of the roll of vinyl.  Crazy.

Pitts

One pinch roller could have a little more tension than the other, and this can be adjusted with the screw on the back of the pinch roller.

Kenimes,

I think you misunderstand.  I don't have a tracking problem.  I simply noticed that a roll of vinyl sitting in the rollers of the media holder and rotated by hand, moves laterally 1/16" with each full rotation of the media.  Roll the media far enough and it could possibley start to to pull on the vinyl feeding the machine and give you tracking problems.  I just wondered if any other Copam owners out there have something similar going on down below.

Pitts     

One pinch roller could have a little more tension than the other, and this can be adjusted with the screw on the back of the pinch roller.

Does the rollers for the Copam not come with two of the disc "things" that help to keep vinyl on track? I always use mine. I don't think I've ever tried to cut stuff of some length without it.  :- 

Does the rollers for the Copam not come with two of the disc "things" that help to keep vinyl on track? I always use mine. I don't think I've ever tried to cut stuff of some length without it.  :- 

Hi Hauana ( What does that mean ? )

I got 2 copams & neither came with anything like that . I always leave plenty of vinyl unrolled , so the vinyl in the rollers don't move while cutting . I have never done any decals longer than a couple feet though . The forum has been nice lately , no drama or attitude ( unless I've missed it :huh:

Rodger

Group,

So I put a 50 yd roll of vinyl onto my copam rollers and kind of mindlessly gave it a spin, to watch how nicely the bearings let it roll.   :huh:

I noticed that with every revolution it very slowly moves the roll of vinyl to the left!!!!!!   ;D  On longer cuts or repeated panels this would surely slowly work left and apply pressure to the vinyl feeding into the machine.   :huh:

Could this be causing some peoples tracking problems on longer cuts or multiple panels?   ;D  Thoughts?   ;D

Pitts

I would say that this is due to the force ( torque of your hand position ) during your manul spin. You need to check your plotter with a level . Your plotter should come with locking collars which keep your roll in place ! USE Them...... Also when you load your roll you should place your roll between your rollers feeding your vinyl between the two as you pull it over the top of the roll and into the machine. This keeps the roll in place as the machine feeds off of the roll.

Hi Hauana ( What does that mean ? )

I got 2 copams & neither came with anything like that . I always leave plenty of vinyl unrolled , so the vinyl in the rollers don't move while cutting . I have never done any decals longer than a couple feet though . The forum has been nice lately , no drama or attitude ( unless I've missed it :thumbsup:

Rodger

Haumana = Student (Hawaiian)

The longest run I've cut was about 6-feet with minimal drift.

... locking collars which keep your roll in place ! USE Them......

So what's what they're called. I agree though, use them. I'm sure it's been really helpful in minimizing drift, although I've never tried to cut anything without using them  :lol:  Why take a chance, ya' know?

Kenimes,

I think you misunderstand.  I don't have a tracking problem.  I simply noticed that a roll of vinyl sitting in the rollers of the media holder and rotated by hand, moves laterally 1/16" with each full rotation of the media.  Roll the media far enough and it could possibley start to to pull on the vinyl feeding the machine and give you tracking problems.  I just wondered if any other Copam owners out there have something similar going on down below.

Pitts     

Yes, I misunderstood, sorry.

If the distnace between the two rollers is not 100% the same from end to end,this will cause lateral movement.Same true if one end is farther from the cutter than the other. This can be caused if there is a bit of play in the screws when you tighten them down.

I was cutting some metallic prism vinyl that is a year old ( 1/4 " engine-turn prism I think ) The edges where the rollers touch started wadding up bad . I paused , moved the rollers in another inch on both sides & unpaused . SignBlazer/copam cut beyond the new position of the rollers & the decal came out perfect . It seems this is a way to max the use of the vinyl width & getting better roller control . I usually put the rollers on the edges of 24" vinyl . This vinyl has areas that lift while sitting  ( 1/2 " wide & 4-6" long ) . I'm going to let the Copam measure the vinyl & then move the rollers in some before cutting . Seems like a good idea , any thoughts ?

Rodger